The Gp2x Is Dead!

sad.gif

I really hope they just stopped production because they can't get the MMSP2 SoC anymore. Otherwise, they're making a mistake with this new console.

I agree with everyone that it's going to have to fit into its own niche with the pending arrival of the Pandora. Unfortunetly, the new photo doesn't look promising. It has to be better than the GP2X in EVERY way otherwise it's just not worth it. Battery life, performance, controls, build quality, price, etc. must all see significant gains over the GP2X.

Just when the GP2X was starting to get more respect too.. damnit
sad.gif

quasist said:
Wonderswan had tho similar hat switches (or 4 dir pads)
From the looks of it - it also has an A and a B button. And, I don't know for sure - but, again, just based on looking - those are 8 individual buttons - not 2 D-Pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lot of nonsense, really. That thing does not look anywhere near as good as the gp2x, and a smaller screen? For people like me who don't have perfect eye-sight (good, but not perfect) unimaginable. The buttons are not convincing me either. Even if it ran PSX emulation fullspeed, it'd be hardly any fun on a screen like that with a button layout like that. Also I don't see why they had to discontinue the F200 so early, I bought mine only in january so it's not even a year old. Hardware revisions fine, but a whole new system? That's like kicking all the developers in the butt for supporting the F200 and saying "now start over!"

My interest is definitely leaning towards the pandora, tho I won't declare either system the winner before they're actually out.

I might also add that I still like my gp2x very much :)
It's a shame that soon people won't be able to buy it anymore.

"SunSpire"

Pandora is out of my price range as a hobby handheld.

I'd be happy with a basic, GP2X-like product if it had;
1-more processing power (1.5-2x GP2X),
2-better (or even same) battery life,
3-similar price-point,
4-similar, (or even slightly less) dev support.

1, 2 and 3 are probably given with this WIZ thing, but 4 is the deal breaker/maker.

When I see the tiny-est EEE PCs, I really think Pandora doesn't stand a chance.
I only have my F200 for a week now and I saw this 10" EEE PC and I'm thinking of selling my GP2x. I know it's more expensive, but my other laptop broke down and I need one. GP2X is another world, but with a mini sublaptop, I don't know if I still need that other world.

And what about the Elonex One? At £99 it's cheaper than the F200, and contains all the hardware we miss. Maybe not as small as the cutest EEE PC yet, but it's there already in stead of tomorrow, and development in this area seems to go very rapid.

Note: Even if you've read about it and saw pictures, the smallest EEE PC is much more impressive if you see/use a real one. Thats my experience.

Redsandro said:
I only have my F200 for a week now and I saw this 10" EEE PC and I'm thinking of selling my GP2x. I know it's more expensive, but my other laptop broke down and I need one. GP2X is another world, but with a mini sublaptop, I don't know if I still need that other world.

And what about the Elonex One? At £99 it's cheaper than the F200, and contains all the hardware we miss. Maybe not as small as the cutest EEE PC yet, but it's there already in stead of tomorrow, and development in this area seems to go very rapid.

Note: Even if you've read about it and saw pictures, the smallest EEE PC is much more impressive if you see/use a real one. Thats my experience.

1. Don't smoke weed and post on the net.
  2. The Pandora is 1/4 the volume of the Eeepc or Elonex. http://www.sizeasy.com/
  3. I know that the Eeepc is a small laptop, so is the Toshiba libretto (only many years before the Eeepc).
  4. I have had 2 Toshiba Librettos, and a piss poor x86 processor cannot make up for itself if you are planning this as your main laptop. Unless you are replacing a 700mhz Pentium 3 and you know everything you do will work fine on that much power.
  5. The Pandora DOES have gaming controls. The Laptop DOES NOT.
  6. The Pandora gets 8-10 hours of battery to the 2.5-3.5 hours of battery of the Eeepc
  7. The Elonex runs on a "LNX Code 8 Mobile 300 MHz Processor", plan to do a lot with that eh?
  8. Don't compare a laptop and a handheld.
  9. You haven't seen a Pandora yet, how do you know it will fail?

nubie said:
Redsandro said:

2. The Pandora is 1/4 the volume of the Eeepc. <a href="http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/16085-Eeepc-701-vs-Pandora-vs-DS-Lite-vs-psp-vs-Apple-iPhone" target="_blank">http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_compariso...vs-Apple-iPhone</a>
  3. I know that the Eeepc is a small laptop, so is the Toshiba libretto (only many years before the Eeepc).
  4. I have had 2 Toshiba Librettos, and a piss poor x86 processor cannot make up for itself if you are planning this as your main laptop. Unless you are replacing a 700mhz Pentium 3 and you know everything you do will work fine on that much power.
  6. Don't compare a laptop and a handheld.
  7. You haven't seen a Pandora yet, how do you know it will fail?

Now I wouldn't exactly agree with rule number 1. I think people should take advantage of the effects and put deep thought into what they are saying. :huh:

Edit: If this were the case my username wouldn't exist.

therealadmin said:
Now I wouldn't exactly agree with rule number 1. I think people should take advantage of the effects and put deep thought into what they are saying. :huh:

Edit: If this were the case my username wouldn't exist.
:lol: :lol: :eek: :ph34r:

EDIT:

2. The Pandora is 1/4 the volume of the Eeepc or Elonex. http://www.sizeasy.com/
  6. The Pandora gets 8-10 hours of battery to the 2.5-3.5 hours of battery of the Eeepc
  7. The Elonex runs on a "LNX Code 8 Mobile 300 MHz Processor", plan to do a lot with that eh?

quasist said:
nubie said:
You haven't seen a Pandora yet, how do you know it will fail?
Zoltan2x said so ;)
Of course Zoltan2x told you it would fail. Being a Virgo perfectionist it knew you would not be satisfied. Zoltan2x told the rest of us that Pandora would be terrific. ;)

Well, My GP2X is alive, and I continue enjoying playing (programming) games that not yet I have tested.

So, long live to :gp2x GP2X :gp2x :D

nubie said:
nubie said:
Aww, you made a cute little cynical list-reply combined with convenient numbering so I can address some of them.

1. Shut the facism, whatever triggered it.
2/3. I know about the sizes, it's incorporated in my vision. Elonex was to demonstrate something cheaper and already available as a reference for thinking people to extrapolate what's happening in the less exclusive world of common sublaptops. If you incist on comparing size exacly you can get OQO's. More expensive but fully featured. First line produced in 2004 was 12x8 cm compared to pandora's 14x8 cm.
4. If the contrary to piss-poor is your quality of posts, you have no leverage. Common sublaptops are easily 1 - 2 GHz depening on your investment though.
5. So does any handheld that doesn't try to be the best of both (handheld/laptop). Enough keys for being creative though.
6. I've easily gotten 5 hours out of an (older) EEEPC and I read the 901 series gets up to 8 hours so stop making shit up. You haven't seen a Pandora yet, so how do you know it has power forever?
7. Once again. Historical example for making a point.
8. Go make your rules on your own personal website.
9. A lot of people haven't eaten shit (literally). How come they think they know they will dislike it? Ability to reason. Visualize. Human. Ring a bell?

I expected a little more intelligence from someone who's able to do some interesting hardware DIY's. I guess I was wrong or you're having your period.

Redsandro said:
6. I've easily gotten 5 hours out of an (older) EEEPC and I read the 901 series gets up to 8 hours so stop making shit up. You haven't seen a Pandora yet, so how do you know it has power forever?
2.5-3.5 is what's qouted by Asus, is what's quoted in reviews, and even when I was playing PSFs (not full CPU time) with the screen CLOSED I still sure as hell didn't get 5 hours. This was on an original Eee. Maybe you "easily" got 5 hours by doing all of nothing on it the entire time but your numbers far from reflect what other people have said so why should anyone take your word for it?

By the way, the 8.5-10 hour figure comes from this:

craigix said:
SNES @ 500Mhz gets 8.5 hours on the beta battery with full brightness. This is going to lead to some 10+ hour times for straight ports of GP2X stuff. Imagine battery life with 200mhz.
The SNES emulator was probably either running unthrottled or using idle loops for timing, so using 100% CPU, although it'd be good to have confirmation on that.

Back