The I'm An Idiot And Broke My Pandora Thread

^ That's what I don't understand as a non native English speaker either. (Glue)=(double sided adhesive tape) in this case, as it was explained later by MWeston, I think. I put the relevant quotes in the quotes thread back then. I only say "glue" when I mean that liquid stuff that hardens after a while.

Well... This looks interesting. Either Craig wasn't the one to assemble the top halfs or somebody didn't mention this to Dave...
Shit, I feel bad for the both of you. Craig's gonna be flamed if he's wrong and Dave will have been betrayed (sort of) if he's right.

Mr Loon said:
Chero said:
That really sucks man.
And I was mad at myself for breaking an 8Gb SD card by pulling it out during startup ...
Now I consider myself lucky it was only that.
Hope it gets repaired soon.

Chero.

Bet the card is not broken, just reformat it and it will be fine.
It doesn't mount any more, can't see it in /dev and dmesg gives me error -110. Same on my laptop.
I don't see how I could reformat it if it just gives an error and doesn't create an mmcblkX device.
On windows it doesn't show up either and the panasonic formatter can't help.
I guess it's just broken ...

Last edited by a moderator:
fearofshorts said:
Well... This looks interesting. Either Craig wasn't the one to assemble the top halfs or somebody didn't mention this to Dave...
Shit, I feel bad for the both of you. Craig's gonna be flamed if he's wrong and Dave will have been betrayed (sort of) if he's right.
You still don't understand. Craig's "glue" is the doublesided adhesive tape Dave mentioned.

Chero said:

As a last resort, in Windows, have you checked if the card shows up in disk management, under manage computer? Does sound like it's broken though, didn't think it was possible to break an SD card by removing it at the wrong time. You live & learn.

Back on topic, just want to say good luck to the original poster, seems like you've taken it remarkably well, really hope you can get it sorted.

Not sure what the official policy is regarding repairs that are not done under warranty, if you decide to send it back to OP for repair that is.

Chero said:
Mr Loon said:
Chero said:
That really sucks man.
And I was mad at myself for breaking an 8Gb SD card by pulling it out during startup ...

Chero.

It doesn't mount any more, can't see it in /dev and dmesg gives me error -110. Same on my laptop.
I don't see how I could reformat it if it just gives an error and doesn't create an mmcblkX device.
Ive have broken one or 2 card and a USB thumb drive which wouldn't be recognised under windows, but worked under ubuntu, I simply added a small text file to the card to make ubuntu make some changes and they now work again in windows. worth a shot?

meandu229 said:
Chero said:
Mr Loon said:
Chero said:
That really sucks man.

Chero.

Ive have broken one or 2 card and a USB thumb drive which wouldn't be recognised under windows, but worked under ubuntu, I simply added a small text file to the card to make ubuntu make some changes and they now work again in windows. worth a shot?

I had the same SD card issue with an Adata 16gb one from ebay and was amazed, as Adata honoured it and gave a replacement.

mali said:
^ That's what I don't understand as a non native English speaker either. (Glue)=(double sided adhesive tape) in this case, as it was explained later by MWeston, I think. I put the relevant quotes in the quotes thread back then. I only say "glue" when I mean that liquid stuff that hardens after a while.
As a native English speaker, I only say "glue" when I mean liquid adhesive as well. Double sided tape would be "taped" together. Sorry, I'd forgotten about the correction that came later.

Good old trick that helps always with double side tape... the hairdryer ... don't make the case/screen hotter than you can touch, and heat it up gently/slowly but it enable you to remove the "glue" (double side tape) with less force.

Chaser said:
I had the same SD card issue with an Adata 16gb one from ebay and was amazed, as Adata honoured it and gave a replacement.
Just for the record : I got a replacement as well !!
(and it didn't show up in disk management on windows either, so yes it was broken)
(and ubuntu gave me the same -110 error).
Now back to topic : I broke an SD but it got replaced.

Yeah sorry for the off topic but I thought it was #screens, or really the makeup of glue and adhesive strips and how to strip em.

To the original poster. You can buy the LCD screens here http://www.gbax.com/spares.html
Also it may be worth to fire an E-mail to openpandorasales@gmail.com and see if they can repair it for a fee

Hope you get it sorted anyway that sad news

Edit: Just seen this on ebay that may help you mate. It's at 265 ATM which is a steal :) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Open-Pandora-Handheld-Linux-Console-/110556166918?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item19bda93b06#ht_750wt_879

socket,

I'll join your thread, I broke the power button on my Pandora.

I opened it up to see how it was put together and to have a look at the LCD-cable-of-death.
During reassembly I was paying a lot of attention to the LCD cable and forgot to put the cap on the power switch.
I lifted the board and put the power switch cap on.
When I put the board back down the power switch cap got hitched on the case and bent the little white tab on the slider up.
You can guess the rest. Bent it back down and it snapped clean off.
The good news is the slider part is easily replaceable if I can get another switch of the same type.
I found one on Digi-Key, the CSS 1310, that looks about the same but does not have the spring return like the CSS 1311.
The spring is still in my Pandora's switch and the sliders should be the same.

Now let's see how the lid is put together . . . :)

don't you think people with eight thumbs and lobster claws on each hand and a tendency to violent epilepsy SHOULD NOT be dismantling electronic devices in the first place?

I'm looking at both of you..... Socket and Dgame .... why don't you just send it back to somewhere where the staff have things like....I dunno... just one thumb and four ;) fingers per hand and a tendency to NOT convulse uncontrolably every ten seconds :rolleyes: (hand/eye co-ordination and technical know-how helps too :p )

hobbyman II said:
why don't you just send it back...
Maybe because the only person who responded was ED who isn't at the assembly hall and directed me to Craig! I'm just going to wait it out until they find some time. I had a working Pandora, and I admit that I clumsily broke it... I think the rest of the pre-orders deserve to be dealt with first.

mvickers03 said:
You can buy the LCD screens here http://www.gbax.com/spares.html
I'd probably rather just order an entire new Pandora at that price... Ah well.

Back