The Inefficiency Of Firefox

nickspoon posted on Aug 6 2006 at 05:44 AM said:
I'm running Ubuntu Dapper, so FF comes as standard. I used FF on Winblows too, and because the interface is the same, I'm perfectly happy with it. It can be a bit slow and memory-hungry at times, but I can live with that, and it's better on Linux than it is on Windows.

Although this topic has reminded me to try Opera for Linux... apt-get, here I come :)

The problem I had with Opera was that it used qt libs, which I guess shouldn't be a problem for me since I use amaroK, wlassistant, and qsynaptics, but it just didn't feel right to me. I also didn't really notice any speed difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using opera for a few months, and it's my favorite. It and firefox can be a little memory hungry and both have a few bugs. But I hate internet exploder.

Mudi posted on Aug 6 2006 at 01:02 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Aug 6 2006 at 05:44 AM said:
I'm running Ubuntu Dapper, so FF comes as standard. I used FF on Winblows too, and because the interface is the same, I'm perfectly happy with it. It can be a bit slow and memory-hungry at times, but I can live with that, and it's better on Linux than it is on Windows.

Although this topic has reminded me to try Opera for Linux... apt-get, here I come :)

The problem I had with Opera was that it used qt libs, which I guess shouldn't be a problem for me since I use amaroK, wlassistant, and qsynaptics, but it just didn't feel right to me. I also didn't really notice any speed difference.
it didn't feel right because it's not open source

I wonder if they built a new avant based on IE yet, I remember in the past that wasn't a bad browser.

I have also played around on the firefox 2 beta..bon echo. It isnt terrible at all.

I use firefox right now, only because I haven't got around to getting my opera plugins just how I like them. There is something else about the tabs in opera that I dont know if I like, anyone know of any powerful tab manager plugins for opera?

I'm also using Ubuntu Dapper but am using Stiftfox, which if I understand it correctly (and I probably don't) is a specially optimised version of Firefox.

Page rendering certainly seems faster than Firefox though so maybe it's worth a try if available for Windows (or whatever you use).

RiX0R posted on Aug 6 2006 at 12:05 AM said:
Rayek posted on Aug 1 2006 at 09:23 AM said:
From someone who was using Maxthon up until a year ago... Firefox is fine.

Maxthon is great!

It has two features I've become so addicted to I can't do without anymore: one is double-clicking to close a tab, and the other is that the buttons on the "quicklinks bar" (for lack of a better name) open a new tab by default. I won't even consider Firefox until it can do both of these things.

And of course it loads faster than Firefox, since it's IE-based.

Only thing that sucks about it is the history pane. Damn near unusable :(.
Err... mine does both of those things. I also have Ctrl+Click on the tab bar to reopen the last closed tab - couldn't live without it.

Caveat: The double-click and ctrl-click are from an extension

declaration posted on Aug 7 2006 at 09:52 AM said:
I'm also using Ubuntu Dapper but am using Stiftfox, which if I understand it correctly (and I probably don't) is a specially optimised version of Firefox.

Page rendering certainly seems faster than Firefox though so maybe it's worth a try if available for Windows (or whatever you use).
I tried googling "stiftfox" but I couldn't find anything. Anyone else who goes looking can find swiftfox here. It's Linux only at the moment, though, and only for the AMD64 and x86 archs.

Ravnos posted on Aug 7 2006 at 06:21 PM said:
declaration posted on Aug 7 2006 at 09:52 AM said:

I tried googling "stiftfox" but I couldn't find anything. Anyone else who goes looking can find swiftfox here. It's Linux only at the moment, though, and only for the AMD64 and x86 archs.
yeah, thats the one. Stupid fingers.

Thanks for the correction :)

Back