The Interview by Sony Pictures Entertainment (plus President Obama)

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
MAIN-Kim-Jong-Un-film.jpg
sonypictureslogo.jpg

President Barack Obama vowed on Friday to respond to a devastating cyber attack on Sony Pictures that he blamed on North Korea, and scolded the Hollywood studio for caving in to what he described as a foreign dictator imposing censorship in America.

Obama said the cyber attack caused a lot of damage to Sony but that the company should not have let itself be intimidated into halting the public release of "The Interview," a lampoon portraying the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/20/us-sony-cybersecurity-usa-idUSKBN0JX1MH20141220

"Sony made a mistake" - President Barack Obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLQa6m6HGS0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony exec fires back at President Obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_odFPj6NDQQ

Not sure what to make of all the claims that this attack came from North Korea.

Heard an interesting interview on PM on Radio 4 last night, the chap being interviewed was an 'Internet Security Expert' who worked for F Secure.

Here are some of the things he said :

• Before the hack occurred the hackers demanded money from Sony, no mention was made of the film The Interview. This was from emails to Sony Execs that were leaked by the hackers.
  • The hackers only started linking the attack to The Interview after the Media had begun to speculate that North Korea was responsible.
  • The supposed evidence that the hack came from North Korea was at best circumstantial, things like the Malware was found to have links to computer networks in China etc.
  • The hackers used TOR, or something like TOR, so nobody really knows where the attacks originated from.

Sounds to me that a certain Mr 4Chan is a more likely source of the attack than North Korea.

My gut feel is that we're dealing with something like a repeat of the WMD in Iraq scenario.

Regardless of who is responsible, it is interesting to think about the amount of control given to them.  If it was supported by another country's government, or even a well organised group of some sort, it isn't that surprising that they could accomplish this, since it was probably a goal, or at least an acceptable outcome. 

At first I was thinking that it was a stupid move on the part of all of the companies that own the theaters, since there was nothing to suggest any real threat, and especially not on that scale.  The reasoning behind it is not too far off from why President Obama said what he did.  The problem comes in that this is exactly the kind of thing that it seems the US government has been moving toward for over a decade.  You can't say "we need to read all your emails, take naked pictures of you, and screw up how you are used to doing things because terrorists" and then say "you shouldn't let threats of terrorist type acts interrupt how you function" and not expect people to just be content with that.  Are only government approved infringements on freedom in response to supposed terrorist threats acceptable?  If so, who made that rule, the government?

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that if it isn't some entity that has funds or other traditional means to have this sort of influence it might be empowering to the little guys.  We have seen a lot of things like this in the recent past, but to be able to control the media like this is pretty interesting.  I don't know if I would be for or against people who have something to say, or other concerns, to resort to this in the future.  I bet if someone tries it won't play out like this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either that or they have a huge bullseye on them.

I just remembered I am replying to SONY...

Is Sony's security shit or something?
All security is shit, especially in big companies. You start out with a little bit of social engineering, convince one person in the company that you're IT and need their password to fix their email. That gets you a little bit of access, and then you just start digging.Big companies especially are prone to this because there are so many people that you're bound to hit someone foolish enough to give you their password eventually, and also making concerted efforts to keep security up to date is extremely hard and expensive, so even if 99% of the system is good it only takes one system to give them that little bit more access. And then a little bit more, and a little bit more, until they find what they're looking for.

The only secure system is the one that's off, encased in concrete, and buried under ground, and even that isn't perfect.

I wonder -- What would happen to Sony if they made a movie portraying the assassination of Barack Obama?

I doubt that North Korea has something to do with the Hack, at least not direclty. Like mentioned before, at first the hackers wanted Money from Sony, strange behaviour for an "official" gouvernment driven hack. And NK already sayed they have nothing to do with it, the same NK that always want to show how powerful and mighty they are. And they left out that great opportunity to say they were responsible for the big hack. Strange.

However, it's bad that the Movie is not shown, at least not in the USA. I hope we can see it in Europe at least, some time later. "The Movie that scared America!" would be a great advertisment here for sure. :D People would storm the Cinemas to see that movie. ^^

Is Sony's security shit or something?
All security is shit, especially in big companies. You start out with a little bit of social engineering, convince one person in the company that you're IT and need their password to fix their email. That gets you a little bit of access, and then you just start digging.Big companies especially are prone to this because there are so many people that you're bound to hit someone foolish enough to give you their password eventually, and also making concerted efforts to keep security up to date is extremely hard and expensive, so even if 99% of the system is good it only takes one system to give them that little bit more access. And then a little bit more, and a little bit more, until they find what they're looking for.

The only secure system is the one that's off, encased in concrete, and buried under ground, and even that isn't perfect.
Hmmmmm..I see. I wish I knew how to hack and stuff. I would hack into the nsa :(

I wonder -- What would happen to Sony if they made a movie portraying the assassination of Barack Obama?
Maybe he would make a cameo in the death scene.

I doubt that North Korea has something to do with the Hack, at least not direclty. Like mentioned before, at first the hackers wanted Money from Sony, strange behaviour for an "official" gouvernment driven hack. And NK already sayed they have nothing to do with it, the same NK that always want to show how powerful and mighty they are. And they left out that great opportunity to say they were responsible for the big hack. Strange.

However, it's bad that the Movie is not shown, at least not in the USA. I hope we can see it in Europe at least, some time later. "The Movie that scared America!" would be a great advertisment here for sure. :D People would storm the Cinemas to see that movie. ^^
I really had no interest in the movie.  I still really don't, I am more interested in all the other stuff that has happened.  I would now want to see it at the first showing, if they hadn't canceled it, just as a way to say "see, nothing to worry about" (unless I died).  It did get a lot of extra publicity due to this incident, so now I suspect it will make more money when it is released.

Hmmmmm..I see. I wish I knew how to hack and stuff. I would hack into the nsa :(
Depending on what you mean by "hack" I really don't think it would be as simple as it might sound.  I also don't think attempts would be a good idea, just in case, especially since you said that.

North Korea has good cyber warfare capabilitiys and its not that hard for professionals to hack a company. They could have done it or paid someone to do it. I don't know. What GOP is doing to SONY employees is just shity.

Still I wouldn't get worried about terror threats. Terror in all sorts of forms is part of life. And the terror won't stop when you already gave up your freedom..  - keep cool

Like mentioned before, at first the hackers wanted Money from Sony, strange behaviour for an "official" gouvernment driven hack.
To my knowledge the demands were not made public. Am I not up to date anymore?

Sony is likely going to publish The Interview via BitTorrent Bundle

The 'Internet Security Expert' I heard on the Radio said this info came from emails to Sony Execs leaked by the hackers.

Really had to laugh at the whole 'The US does not change their ways to suit the demands of terrorists' thing. Classic Newspeak, the billions spent on Homeland security, the erosion of everyday freedoms etc. seem to suggest otherwise.

Really had to laugh at the whole 'The US does not change their ways to suit the demands of terrorists' thing. Classic Newspeak, the billions spent on Homeland security, the erosion of everyday freedoms etc. seem to suggest otherwise.
That is what I was saying, in some sense.  The response to this incident wasn't government approved, so of course they are a bit upset.

The 'Internet Security Expert' I heard on the Radio said this info came from emails to Sony Execs leaked by the hackers.
According to supposedly leaked emails Sony is working on a Mario movie.  That might be cool if it is true.  I would like to see the first and third game dramatized.

Yupp, at least so it seems.
Now I'm waiting for the Southpark episode around the Sony Hack, I'm pretty sure they will make one. :D

kim will just end up having a microscopic penis. i thought we already got something like this episode

Back