The Last Appstore Thread

The top candidates

• Total voters

I would go with 'PNDb'. Like in '.PND' or 'Pandora' meets 'database' or 'box'. It's short, it's catchy, easy to remember and will make a great short URL.

URLs are unregistered at the moment...

pndb.org (main portal)
pndb.mobi (customized for surfing on the Pandora)
pndb.tv (channel for Pandora videos)

Yep, that's cool! :D

Donations in the form of free Pandoras are always welcome. Haha! :lol:

I voted for the dullest one.

Panstora!

HandheldAppStore OpenHandHeldStore

OpenPandoraStoreWithOtherHandheldDevicesCateredForToo!

PNDB's pretty good.

My brain immediately wanted to expand the acronym.
Pandora Network DataBase

How about just Pandora Network?

It might not be a bad idea to use a name that's not directly tied to downloads or purchases. It leaves room to expand into other online services (such as score & achievement tracking, friends lists etc as previously suggested).

If it's preferred not to tie it to the device, call it OpenPandora Network (OPN).
It's their business name after all, so I assume they'll want to claim ownership over the site even if serving GP2X/Wiz content as well.

Pretty much all the opn.* domains are taken, but they don't need one. Sony doesn't own psn.com either.

opn.openpandora.org / openpandora.org/opn
or
network.openpandora.org / openpandora.org/network
are fine.

Wootson said:
I would go with 'PNDb'. Like in '.PND' or 'Pandora' meets 'database' or 'box'. It's short, it's catchy, easy to remember and will make a great short URL.

URLs are unregistered at the moment...

pndb.org (main portal)
pndb.mobi (customized for surfing on the Pandora)
pndb.tv (channel for Pandora videos)

Yep, that's cool! :D

Donations in the form of free Pandoras are always welcome. Haha! :lol:

PNDB sounds neat.... and short too..

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
How do you say it? And how do you explain it to newcomers? I don't have that kind of time.

I think what a lot of people here are missing is that it needs to be a few things:

- Something a non-forum member can understand, and get
- Appealing
- Succinct
- Descriptive of what it is
- "Store" is not applicable, since it will be the full repository, free stuff as well as paid for
- "The Box" or any derivative has already been shot down by craigix and the designer
- It seems any variation on "App" is also out, due to the Apple association
- Anything with Pandora, PND, etc. is also out, since this is meant for multiple consoles

Perhaps people don't read all the posts, or just love their ideas above the concept of actually thinking about the long term and the appeal to the public, not just Pandora forum members.

It is meant be professional, not affiliated with any specific console, not meant to be a place solely where you buy things, succinct, a name an average person would get, and not a reminder of other similar places that companies currently have.

Though I love my suggestions, but perhaps we haven't found the right one yet, and a lot of people keep re-hashing the old or variations on the old.

BackAssward said:
- Anything with Pandora, PND, etc. is also out, since this is meant for multiple consoles
Not necessarily; as I pointed out a few posts up, we can't forget the company running the service is named 'OpenPandora' -- while they may not want it tied to their hardware (the Pandora console), they probably don't want to completely disassociate themselves from the service either. So having Pandora or OpenPandora as part of the name need not automatically be out of the question.

^You can assume that "Open Pandora" or the Pandora Symbol will be added to the name anyway, so having Open Pandora PNDsomething would be double. Standing alone it wouldn't be clear enough, and with "Open Pandora" it's doubled so yeah, it doesn't really fit, imo. Same with "Pandora's Box". Do you want to add Open to that name then? Open "Pandora's Box"? Instead you could just leave out "Pandora's" completely, making that option in fact similar the first one "The Box", where "The" is pretty much redundant. Craig doesn't like "The Box", btw. As far as I understand it means vagina colloquially?

Looking at the options , i think Agora is by far the classiest name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agora

an agora is the name of the market place in ancient greece. It's where people meet.

and it ties in with pandora too, but only tangentially, especially if future consoles keep with the 'classic' names.

What the.... Could you please stop switching the place of the names?

I've voted for ArkHive and don't want to change.

Vertice said:
Looking at the options , i think Agora is by far the classiest name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agora

an agora is the name of the market place in ancient greece. It's where people meet.

and it ties in with pandora too, but only tangentially, especially if future consoles keep with the 'classic' names.
Agora's a great name but I was hoping that someone would use it for some sort of Pandora specific chat software like TinXL or something similar.
The app store isn't a place where you meet other people. It's more of a storage room or shop where you walk in, buy what you want and then walk out again.
Besides it's too Pandora specific IMO.

I really do hope that the name gets put to good use though :)

r00tw00t said:
BackAssward said:
You think that is unique and clever? Please don't go into marketing...

I take it you are into marketing? Good.
Instead of complaining why don't you show us your contribution instead of your non-constructive criticism.
I have, if you bothered to read the posts... I have made many. But I guess you are to busy being self important to check your facts before acting like an ass, and post non-factual responses.

Let me guess, now you will try to massage you ego be telling me you saw them but didn't like them. Typical.

BackAssward said:
nem said:
BackAssward said:
this is meant for multiple consoles

Therefore:

AppShack
You ignored the part of my post, where "app" anything, was out.

And so he should. After all Craig has used it in this very thread...

craigix said:
I quite like openbox, but it belongs to another project.

What about OpenAppBox?

OpenPandoraApps?

Ahh I'll leave it for your guys to come up with something cool.

I mentioned it before a long time ago, in the first thread of the announcement of the Appstore, but it seems to be not listed in the first post. Not impressed! ;)

Anesidora

[Pandora's] other name, inscribed against her figure on a white-ground kylix in the British Museum, is Anesidora, "she who sends up gifts," up implying "from below" within the earth.

Here is another one:

Athena

Athena dressed her [Pandora] in a silvery gown, an embroidered veil, garlands and an ornate crown of gold.

So think of the store [Athena] 'dressing' up the Pandora with apps. ;)

Hesiod's poems is where the Pandora myth started from after all :D

Back