The Long And Winding Road From Dvd To Gp2x

Shadowsithe

Website
furin.blogspot.com
Okay, this is a story about my ordeals with ripping and encoding. I hope it serves as an alternative tutorial for those looking to try something else. The end result should be a wonderful xvid encoded *.avi file.

You will need:
DVD Decrypter
DVD Shrink
Auto Gordian Knot aka AutoGK

Why:
DVD Decrypter - is for creating an image of your DVD that you can encode. This will work around any region protection or CSS or other copy protections on your DVD.
DVD Shrink - is for cutting out the useless things that you don't want to confuse your encoder. Now for me, this is generally alternate angles which juxtapose themselves into the main video jumbling things horribly.
Auto Gordian Knot - will be making the actual encoding easy. Trust me.

Slap your desired DVD to rip into your principle drive and whip open DVD Decrypter. Specify the region if asked, otherwise just select everything if you don't want to figure out what the actual bulk of the DVD is. That will be DVD Shrink's job.

After about say twenty minutes, depending on the DVD you should have a folder in your C:\ drive with an appropriate name.

Open DVD Shrink and click Open Files. Navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder inside of your DVD folder sitting in your C:\ drive. Click main video. Select no compression. Then click reauthor. Select only the main video file. Click backup and select to folder.

Ten minutes later, you have a pretty set of *.vobs to encode. Open Auto GK. At the top, select the second *.ifo file from the new backup you've created. Below that select a place to save your new avi. From here it's just tinkering with settings.

As for size, generally a one hour show is 350mb so base your number on that. Don't use the CD selection because you'll have the file split over multiple discs. Go to advanced settings and select xvid, and auto for everything else. Now hit CTRL+F9 and you'll get a new options menu. If you're encoding a cartoon, select cartoon mode. Set the framerate to NTSC and confirm. Add job and start. In an hour or two you'll be done. I'll edit this for more detail when it's not so late.

So once its being dubbed - is that adding the sound? How long should that take? The problem is nothing seems to show its progress so I don't know if its frozen or what. I left it for ages and nothing was happening, so I pressed stop and suddenly it completed the avi. I played it but obviously there was no sound at all...

I found that Auto GK makes your audio out of sync.

I do all the stuf you mentioned above (thankyou greatly for that) then I use a default setting (512x382 Xvid) and it works beautifully.

i use ashampoo shrink and burn 2 for ripping and shrinking films. and FLV to AVI MPEG WMV 3GP MP4 iPod Converter for just about everything else..i also use firefox fly download helper for all embedded video on websites like youtube etc , then convert them to play on the gp2x with FLV to AVI MPEG WMV 3GP MP4 iPod Converter.. :)

I'm new the gp2x scene, but after trying just about everything at least twice (with an R1/R4 dvd and sound synch issues) I got a good rip with VLC version 0.8.6e, and it works with the built-in player too:

CODE

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv "dvd://D:-||9" :sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=256,deinterlace,width=320,height=240,fps=15,audio-sync,acodec=mp3,ab=96,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=avi,dst="C:\gp2x_videos\out.avi"}} vlc:quit

Or for 16:9 dvd's:

CODE

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv "dvd://D:-||9" :sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=256,deinterlace,width=320,height=180,fps=15,audio-sync,acodec=mp3,ab=96,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=avi,dst="C:\gp2x_videos\out.avi"}} vlc:quit

Of course you should use the appropriate title for your dvd.
See vlc documentation for more options.

There are probably some options that would make it faster, but it works in one step. B)
(note: used on the F-200, "#58;" should read as ":" )

Back