Auto Gordian Knot And Subtitles

Winterkid

Website
Visit site
First, I've searched the forums and haven't found any answers.

Alright, I'll start from the beginning. I've NEVER encoded anything with subtitles that wasn't part of the picture. This is a whole new ball of wax.

I put the DVD of my favorite Anime series into the fastest DVD drive I have. (This series I spent over $100 buying the full set)

I start up DVD Decrypter, all the files are successfully copied to the right HD. Check.

I start up Auto Gordian Knot, load up the correct VOB, it's called VOB_01_1 and it's got _2, _3 and _4 with it, total 3.35 GB on the HD. Check.

Alright, I select the Japanese audio track cause I prefer it to the english audio track. Check.

I go to select the subtitle track to use and it doesn't list any.... Is there another VOB I should select? VOB_01_0 is only 142 megs and I have no clue if that's the subtitle track. I'd rather not waste 3 hours encoding it to find out it's wrong.

Is there something I'm missing or is there a seperate step for subtitles?

I used to use Auto Gordian Knot but found that it's subtitle handling wasn't very satisfactory.
When you selected a chaper from the middle of the DVD, subtitles wouldn't be corrected and appear totally out of sync.

I'm now using Handbrake which is so far way superior in every respect. :)

Ive found that Auto Gordian Knot doesnt work well with DVDs with less than usual file systems. I have a copy of nerovision, so ive been using nero recode to "tidy" things up. I load up recode and select "movie only", then check which audio and subtitle tracks i want. When you output It will basically just rewrite the dvd file structure in a standard format that AGK will accept. If no compression is used, it wont effect the quality any.

I know its not the easiest way, but i DO love AGK so i do this extra step rather than using another program. Always works for me. If you have Nero Recode (and the HD space for temporary files), try it.

Hmm. Personally I don't like to burn subtitles into the picture because IMHO it looks bad. Also, as you might play the final video on any number of different dispays, your choice of font and size may come back and bite you.

So I would go ahead and use AutoGK to code the video bit, but then use SubRip (which you can get from Doom9 (very good website for all things video) to create a separate srt file for the subtitles. If the srt file is in the same directory as the AVI and has the same filename, the GP2x video player will play the subtitles just fine in a crisp, readable font.

SubRip takes a little effort to initially use as it works by OCR, and you have to manually type each letter the first time the software encounters it. But this is quite quick, and SubRip lets you save profiles so that once you've got it working on a single episode, it will recognise all the others in the box set with little or no intervention.

Oh, and further, to get around most of AutoGK's mangling of DVD structures, it's well worth the extra effort to use DVD-Decryptor to rip each episode to an individual folder rather than ripping the whole DVD at once. This takes longer because you have to babysit, but it's easier in the long run. Also, you have the opportunity in DVD decryptor to only rip the audio and subtitle streams you want.

Thank you for all your help, guys. I'll let you know how it turns out, cause using the .IFO put both the audio AND the subtitles out of sync. *shakes head* I'll try your suggestions and see which way works best. I really don't want to have to hunt all over the net for torrents or anything, when I own the damn discs and spent a fortune for them already.

Back