The Lottery and Gambling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tiny-home-concert-popcorn-600.jpg

Don't eat it all at once though it's bad for you (says the person currently imbibing a large bottle of pink lemonade flavoured Lucozade Zero).

Does anyone else here play the lottery at all these days?

I mentioned in the Communication Cube that I had three Mega Millions tickets for last Friday and three Powerball tickets for last Saturday. All six lost. I was out of spending money after that, so I had to hope Monday’s Powerball jackpot would rollover. Lo and behold, it did. $490 million now. Since I don’t get more spending money until Wednesday, I have to hope tonight’s Mega Millions jackpot rolls over too.

One thing I didn’t mention in the Communication Cube, I also bought a $20 scratcher that Thursday. Totally lost.

Nope. I guess you can buy tickets online these days but to be honest I've not played on the lottery since about two weeks after it opened here in the early 90s as I recall. I have also bought a scratchcard once but only the one, which rather foolishly from their perspective, I lost utterly at regaining even my original investment. That's not how you build a gambling empire.

Question: Has anyone in lottery history ever won a massive jackpot and then became + remained rich & famous?

I heard that almost all of the people who win BIG, end up spending all, or most of their money, leaving themselves with little money...back to where they started or pre-win days.
Also, the winners blow all their money on family and friends.

Someone from New York won the Mega Millions jackpot. The good news is that the Powerball jackpot should grow even faster now.

Some old saying my familiy passed on to me... "Buying a ticket and winning the lottery is no luck. If you're really lucky, you find a lottery ticket on the street and win. So don't play."

Or just start your own lottery then you're guaranteed to win big.

A fool and his money are soon parted etc.

lottery is literally the stupidest type of gambling. yawn.

why don't you take a highly leveraged position in eg bitcoin? if you lose you go jail. this is exciting.

I'm not sure a leveraged positiion in bitcoin exists. Leveraging exists in an extent of futures surely? I don't think anyone's futuring bitcoin yet.

Edit: There is bitcoin fraud however, but bitcoin fraud is like theft in a similar way to the way software theft existed, except with bigger financial costs.

No-one won the Powerball jackpot tonight. The jackpot didn't go up that much, but now that Mega Millions is back down to $20 million as of yesterday, I'm thinking Powerball's jackpot should grow faster starting next drawing. I think the fact that it draws three times a week now instead of two also cuts into how much each individual drawing takes it up.

Today I spent five dollars on a scratcher and won ten dollars. Then I spent all ten dollars on five sets of numbers for the next Powerball drawing on Saturday, which has a jackpot of $523 million. You know what they say: if at first you don’t lose your money, try and try again.

Today I spent five dollars on a scratcher and won ten dollars. Then I spent all ten dollars on five sets of numbers for the next Powerball drawing on Saturday, which has a jackpot of $523 million. You know what they say: if at first you don’t lose your money, try and try again.
So you lost your 5 dollars. Too bad. You could have saved it up for food, to buy something more besides oatmeal. Did you try the dandelion yet?

Cool story, bros. My $10 Powerball ticket only managed to lose two dollars. I actually matched the Powerball twice. I didn't even mean to have the same Powerball twice on the same ticket, but that's what happens when you let the machine pick for you. Now I just gotta see if the jackpot rolls over, so I can decide whether to reinvest in Powerball, or get some scratchers instead.

So, I'm not sure from your reactions if I was clear in that last post. That ticket actually won $8, which I reinvested in the lottery and lost. Anyway, the jackpot was $570 million yesterday, so I invested $10 again, and lost it all. The good news is, no-one won it, so I get to invest another $10 in Saturday's $620 million jackpot.

Remember, in North Carolina, these lotteries fund certain education expenses, like scholarships, so it's all for a good cause.

Remember, in North Carolina, these lotteries fund certain education expenses, like scholarships, so it's all for a good cause
They get more of the money if you would donate directly, and you would burn less money yourself. Gambling can be a dangerous addiction if you're not careful, and there are better ways to make money if you wany to invest for potential gains.

Don't worry, I usually only buy these things when the jackpot is over $400 million. Well, that applies to regular lottery, not scratch-offs.

I was just thinking about how this $620 million jackpot is unsafe. Eight people matched all five regular numbers but missed the Powerball yesterday. Note that the Powerball only ranges from one to twenty-six. The jackpot had about a one-fourth chance of being cut down yesterday, and on Saturday it'll be even higher.

What do you imagine yourself doing with all that money? Just curious. If I won the lottery I would spend it all on bitcoin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back