The Movie Thread

Tickles

Seen a good movie recently? A bad one? Post here what's unmissable and what should be avoided like the plague.

New movies or old, all are welcome, so reviews of your all time favourites are good too.

To start off:

I saw 2012, which I wasn't expecting a lot from. I was anticipating just another disaster movie, which it is, but what impressed me with this were the special effects, and it's not often that happens nowadays. Some of the action scenes, especially some of the earlier ones, were really breathtaking. Kinda wish I could see this in 3D actually. Definitely one to show off your new HD telly!

It was probably just a little too long, but the story's entertaining enough and as a roller coaster ride movie it's great.

I give it 4 smileys from 5.

:) :) :) :)

Not too long ago, someone prodded me into watching this. It's a feature-length, fan-made movie based on the early Mega Man games for the NES. Being live-action and not a video game, there are some differences from the source material, but these are well-done and it's actually quite faithful to its inspiration, considering this.

I wasn't going to watch it, originally, and I didn't expect much from it. However I was very very wrong. It really is incredibly good, and a lot of fun to watch. I even ended up watching it a second time, with someone not so familiar with the Mega Man series, and they greatly enjoyed it as well.

My only gripe, if you can really call it that, is that a few favourite characters of mine didn't get to make an appearance, but that's understandable, as they appeared in some of the later games, and the film is pretty much based on only the first three.

It gets five :p 's out of five from me (it really is that good). I can't wait for the special edition DVD to be made available.

:p :p :p :p :p

If I had known there was a Mega Man movie, I would've guessed that's what you'd review :p

Edit: spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now you know, and now I have. :p

I picked up a few DVDs recently. I'll inevitably add more to this thread once I get the time to watch them.

No. They're Ponyo, Astro Boy, and the most recent Toy Story 1 & 2 re-issues. Life-long animation fan, here. :p Really hoping to find out whether Summer Wars is getting a UK release or not, too (there's been some chatter about it).

Being a die-hard chiptune fan, I just ordered Reformat The Planet, a documentary on (you guessed it) chiptunes. I'll post a review when it comes. If anyone else is interested, you can buy it in the 8bitpeoples store. (google it!)

I know it's not technically a movie, but if anyone missed the BBC's recent mini-series "Sherlock" you should try and check it out. It's a modernisation of Sherlock Holmes, done really well. I've read a few of the books and this stays true to the character and feel of the stories while bringing it bang up to date.

For example, there's a part where he deduces that a mobile phone was owned by an alcoholic as, to paraphrase, "there are scratches where he fumbles plugging in the charger each night. You only see marks like this on a phone belonging to somebody that regularly goes to bed drunk". In the book the phone was a pocket watch that had to be wound up each night with a key.

The only disappointment was it was only three episodes, although they are 90 minutes each. Definite :) :) :) :) :) viewing.

Last movie I saw? Caddyshack. They had both parts on TV and I wanted to see if I could stomach that much bad humor. I couldn't.

Last couple decent movies I've seen? Yo-Yo Girl Cop (picked up as a trash movie but surprisingly awesome), Speed Racer and Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie.

As for the future, I'll probably get around to watching Scott Pilgrim. Oh, and when I see it for a decent price I'll pick up The Princess Bride; some of my friends actually haven't seen it yet, which I find inconceivable.

Being into old tech I've been hitting the charity shops over the past couple of days to see what VHS videos I could find. Turns out you can get 10 films for £1.00, Huzzah!

I managed to grab copies of War Games and Ferris Bueller's Day Off that are brand new and have never been watched. Also got a lot of other classic films too but those are my fave finds :D

EDIT: Forgot to add a brand new copy of The Breakfast Club too. What a soundtrack B)

I know it's not technically a movie, but if anyone missed the BBC's recent mini-series "Sherlock" you should try and check it out. It's a modernisation of Sherlock Holmes, done really well. I've read a few of the books and this stays true to the character and feel of the stories while bringing it bang up to date.
I've read all of the Sherlock Holmes books and It's got to be said that they did a really good job of updating the old formula without it becoming crap.

Really hope they make it a full series too :)

I managed to grab copies of War Games and Ferris Bueller's Day Off that are brand new and have never been watched. Also got a lot of other classic films too but those are my fave finds :D
WarGames! Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

Funnily enough, just last night I ripped my DVD of that for watching on my Pandora.
grin.gif

Just curious, but do you have any gear for ripping VHS tapes to digital formats? I can imagine that it'd be a very cost-effective way of building up a library for Pandora-watching, somehow. :p

I've just recently finished watching In Bruges which is an extremely good independent film about two hitmen. Speaking of independent films, despite it's name, Good Dick is a really great err... Unconventional love story that I would recommend to anyone.

WarGames! Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

Funnily enough, just last night I ripped my DVD of that for watching on my Pandora.
grin.gif

Just curious, but do you have any gear for ripping VHS tapes to digital formats? I can imagine that it'd be a very cost-effective way of building up a library for Pandora-watching, somehow. :p
It is an awesome film. Just got the Princess Bride today too and an unwatched special edition copy of the Sixth Sense :D

Actually I've never though about bothering to convert them. Probably because DVD's would be a lot easier to do and give better results. I did see a machine to do it with a couple of weeks ago but that was a professional machine and cost about £80.00. I thought that was a bit expensive until I saw this one on ebay yesterday :)

ok well this was all the news i needed, im off to watch mega man movie....

Princess Bride (inconceivable indeed), Wargames, Ferris, Astro Boy (pretty good if like me, you aren't familiar with the anime. So let me know a critics opinion), Animal House (I revisited the Revenge of Nerds series, Party Animal and am seeking 'Up the Creek' for that style of film recently) all great titles!

I'll post what I've watched lately shortly but I had a search about and re-found this device for VHS to DVD transfer that is very affordable, highly recommended and I beleive will also allow for game 'speed run' type captures aswell with any console. Cheap too http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm :)

Currently watching 'Blood In, Blood Out' a 3hr mammoth of 'La Rasa meets OZ'.

Astro Boy (pretty good if like me, you aren't familiar with the anime. So let me know a critics opinion)
I'm fairly familiar with the original comics, and I still found the movie very enjoyable. :D I can kind of see why they toned down Dr. Tenma's behaviour for the modern age, though! :lol: (In the comics, he becomes angry and frustrated because his robot son cannot grow and age, and thus not only cannot replace his son, but proves to be a never-aging reminder of him. He then beats him with a broom and sells him to a circus. He returns later every now and again, though, and is a nice guy, more like he is in the movie, albeit one who has given up on the world.)

It was rather fantastic at the cinema, I must say. However, the DVD has a foul anti-customer method of preventing you from ripping it to watch on a device other than a DVD player (almost 100 different Titles, most of which are duplicates of the film, are on the disc, each one missing scenes), so I won't be able to watch it on my Pandora, it seems. I will not be bothering with home releases of films at all in the future.

EDIT: Whoops! How could I forget?! I saw Toy Story 3 today! What a *fantastic* film. One of the best films I've ever seen. Some truly terrifying moments in there, as well as some truly touching ones. I'll follow the unspoken rule of posting no spoilers about it, suffice to say that it is an absolute must-see.

Back