Release The new website

also like it ... small typo on the specifications page: ... "microhone" instead of microphone i guess :)

Using the latest Opera on windows 7, the slideshow of screenshots doesn't align to the Pandora, instead, showing up behind it? Works fine on Chrome though (not tried any other browsers)
Yes, I also use Opera and the Pandora-Screen slideshow is out of frame. SOme of the text at the side menu also is ways over the place, but It's possible that I messed up some font sizes in my Opera settings. Happens on pages with no fixed own font sizes. Besides that, the page looks fine so far, I like the Pandora sign bg image. ^^

Like already mentioned, some informations should be more clear. Installing Android and running it is not an easy task for beginners at the moment imho. There should be some direct links to tutorial and Wiki site so beginenrs easily find help if they need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The page looks an improvement to current openpandora.org, but if this is to replace it, I miss current content, like links to the forum, wiki, firmware updates page. Sure, you mention it all in the OS section, but why not let the potential buyer to browse around and see for himself that unlike for some much cheaper and faster Chinese device, you get active community, firmware updates (even several years after release), new software. With all the marketing tricks these days it's hard to believe what manufacturer says. Perhaps add a bar on top or something, similar to what is here in the boards.

It's great you mention pandora's strengths compared to others, like controls, dual SD and battery life, you could also mention great audio quality too, it has dedicated high quality audio parts that other devices in this class don't have.

BTW I'm also getting misaligned main image on firefox, I wonder if HTML5 stuff you are using is standardized enough.

latest Opera can't cope with those

Code:
-webkit-transform: perspective(83) scale(0.66,0.70) rotateX(0deg) rotateY(1deg) rotateZ(0deg) rotate(-13deg) skewY(1deg) skewX(2deg);

-moz-transform: perspective(83) scale(0.66,0.70) rotateX(0deg) rotateY(1deg) rotateZ(0deg) rotate(-13deg) skewY(1deg) skewX(2deg);

And those things should really be in a css file.

The new Pandora site is looking really good, Craig.

Dammit, stop tempting me! I can't spend ALL my income on Pandora and associated gadgets!

Takes a while to load and leaves a lot of unused space on my 1080p monitor, but apart from that it looks just fine. Well, a few things maybe:

- The "1 GHZ" icon differs to much in style from the rest of the pandora logo, imo. Though I can see the need to express the difference to the old pandoras...

- Eache mouseover in the menu adds an entry to the history in chrome, which makes it extremly bad to navigate back after a bit of browsing

- Once you have (may accidently) chosen a location in the shop, I see no way to get back to the region selection

- What is a "1GHZ pandora 2x"?

- The battery photo and the screenshot look cheaply arranged, why having a photo of the battery there anyway?

- Maybe a "main overview" shortcut on the right as well?

The page looks an improvement to current openpandora.org, but if this is to replace it, I miss current content, like links to the forum, wiki, firmware updates page. Sure, you mention it all in the OS section, but why not let the potential buyer to browse around and see for himself that unlike for some much cheaper and faster Chinese device, you get active community, firmware updates (even several years after release), new software. With all the marketing tricks these days it's hard to believe what manufacturer says. Perhaps add a bar on top or something, similar to what is here in the boards.

It's great you mention pandora's strengths compared to others, like controls, dual SD and battery life, you could also mention great audio quality too, it has dedicated high quality audio parts that other devices in this class don't have.

BTW I'm also getting misaligned main image on firefox, I wonder if HTML5 stuff you are using is standardized enough.

The community links are going on the main part, they will be there, don't worry.

There isn't any HTML5 used. The HTML5 part isn't uploaded yet.

Will have to have a look at the rendering issues, it renders fine in Mac Chrome.

I'm working thought the other suggestions.

I do want to have something about the Pandora production etc. not being in China, but I'm still working out how to add that in.

1) Is this going to be a website for Open Pandora Ltd, or will it be a global site, i.e. for Open Pandora GmbH as well? I guess what I'm wondering is if Open Pandora GmbH will have a separate website?

2) Is the site dedicated to 1GHz units or will the standard model also be available through the new site?

1) I've answered this before, there is only one Pandora site. The only difference if you're in Germany will be that Ed has translated it to German.

2) (This is a temp answer, but true as long as 1Ghz production stabilises) Only 1Ghz. The remaining 600Mhz units are to be used for original orders, as we sell 1Ghz units they partially pay for an original order to be shipped.

The site looks great :) but make sure you emphasize how small it is (there is only a small label).

Also it says "like the Galaxy 2S", shouldn't it be S2?

Text continues off white background on PC Firefox 14.0.1.

1) I've answered this before, there is only one Pandora site. The only difference if you're in Germany will be that Ed has translated it to German.

Thought that was the case, couldn't quite tell if it was just the ordering / advertising part for UK sales, which you would arrive at from a general 'info' site. As it is the global site I'd suggest you don't just stop at a German translation, why not put out a call to the community for French / Spanish / Japanese translations as well?

Some things I saw:

- The sdslots are only sdhc compatible, not sdxc, even if some cards may work. I think it isnt wise to market it as sdxc.

- The usb otg port can only handle 100mA, the fullsized one can do 500mA.

- Qemu can do low pentium aera pcs even on the 1ghz that shouldn't be more as a p90, so maybe make clear, that it can't emulate a p200 with 3d hardware.

- With the wifi, that may or may not work good with different routers and configurations, maybe it is not good to advertise fluid streaming video via netflix

- Pandora battery is a widely used term for the psp battery that enables rooting it. Maybe call it Pandora's battery.

Otherwise I like the design really much. It looks professional, but as others said, it scales not very well and on devices like the ipad or smartphones in upright mode. you have to scroll left and right to see the full width.

Edit:

- Why is it a cortex 1.1 GHz on the orderingpage?

- If you selected your contry on the orderingpage, you have no way to go back to the countryselection. Even if you click on "Order now" again. You have to reload the whole site.

- The back button of the browser doesn't work to navigate in general on the page, what may confuse some people.

- Community should be a seperate menupoint. Would make a lot of sense, as there is a lot of stuff for that point and I think its too importanat to go on the bottom of the mainpage.

- There is not impressum with contact information. Also I liked the developers page on the old site that tells you somehing about the people behind the project. I think it will make it a bit more personal, what is a good thing imho.

- You wrote, that you didn't put any fixed storage in the pandora, which is misleading, as the nand is fixed storage.

On second thought, I think there's too much information on a single page in this new website.

It's probably better to pick out 3-4 main features of the Pandora you want to advertise, and put all these details in "learn more" on a separate page.

If not, its going to be overwhelming.

Sorry, £700? According to Google, $700 is ~£450 and E700 is ~£545.

/me keeps fingers crossed that this is a placeholder rather than an estimate.

Great site design Craig!

I think this is much nicer than the existing, and does a great job of what you wanted - Getting all the basic facts across on a single page.

Works good for me in latest Chrome browser / Win7

Doesn't work under IE9 though, not that surprised really, even though they meant to be all HTML5 loving now I thought .. No right-hand-side-navigation-menu.

Really like that Pandora logo wallpaper too!

Aside note..

I was looking at http://www.dontclick.it/ earlier today.

They are focusing on making web navigation without clicks, much like that page/site is that you have up now.

Take a look at their page under the 'EXPLORE' menu [hover don't click], then under 'THE BUTTON LAB' then under 'CLICK REPLACED BY TIMER' and test out the demo button.

...Pretty smart eh, works like the XBOX 360 Kinect menu system does.

Your new page reminded me of that site.

A couple things:

- You called Battle for Wesnoth a "turn-based RTS", which is odd because "RTS" stands for "real-time strategy". It should say "turn-based strategy game".

- At one point in the specs page, you say that the Pandora has "512 Mb" of RAM. Of course, this isn't going to cause any complaints, but if someone "figures out" that it only has 64 MB of RAM (i.e. 512 megabits), you could lose him/her a customer. ;)

Once again, the order page is a place holder. Please do not keep reporting that it isn't working properly. We don't want people placing orders yet ;)

I'm updating with other suggestions today (in between 1Ghz preparing to ship activities!).

We can't go live with the new site until Ed is back as the German translation isn't up to date, so we should be able to get a lot of these suggestions working this week.

We want to do a 'best of' software page, to show off what people can use, was there previously a thread on that somewhere, or should we make a new 'promotional' list? I'd really like a 50/50 mix of Pandora exclusive software and things people would expect.

Strigoi, agree, though I think both Apple and Google are looking to introduce gesture based controls, where you wouldn't be touching the screen and would instead be hovering your hand just above it.

Like this http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-05/leap-motions-leap-3d-system-will-offer-full-gesture-based-control-your-computer-70

and http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57477007-285/control-media-using-hand-gestures-with-flutter/

will be coming to smartphones, so I heard anyway, can't recall where I was reading about this but I was reading somewhere that Apple are looking into getting this on their devices.

Sorry to derail there, back to this new website...

I think the number of items on that side menu are fine, not too many IMO, most people would catch something in their eye there which appeals to them and skim over those that aren't of interest to them.

I think a new list of 50/50 is a good idea ... I would first list the 50% stuff people expect, then hit them with the 50% section of exclusive to Pandora stuff, making it clear that these things are 'only' on Pandora.

I like the website. Neither IE8 nor IE9 render correctly.

This is nitpicking, but I think that the 1GHz Pandora world's smallest computer should be moved to the right and sit in the arc above the battery message. You can keep the Pandora link at the upper left corner. Otherwise, it appears that the battery life is the most important aspect.

Back