GP2X The Penguin Must Die!

I am beginning to find these discussions a little strange. I should point out I use linux out of fairness. I think its stange that do many users have a comment at all about linux(DaveC) as they have little knowledge of it, and people have misconception of linux from both linux and windows users.

If we have linux for those who want it and access to the hardware for those who dont whats the issue?

Most uses will never know the difference, and should never know the difference, becuase its the programs/games/apps that should matter.

Why "The Penguin Must Die!" not "HH yay!!!" for this thread I have no idea.

On a side note I wonder if this competition is going to be a great thing, or an awful thing. I do know the gp2x is in for some exiting times.

Sigh. If you'd read the post that began this thread, HH mode hadn't been even announced or widely known until I suggest we club the penguin to a spreadable paste.

Also, can you see the humour involved in the thread title? Can ya see what I did there? Ah, there ya go.

Sheesh.

Most users *will* notice a difference, there is a difference, and I'm sure if you're one of those excited about emulators you will notice a difference in speed from raw HH to GP2X Linux. If, on the other hand, you're also one of the Linux geek elite, well I suppose you're just excited about showing off a handheld gaming console with Linux on it. I can see how that would be exciting, from a geek perspective...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be using linux+SDL for my first ports.

If any of them don't run at 100%, then I'll try to accelerate it with some hardware tricks. But I'd have to learn first.

Currently, SDL is the best SDK available. If something better is made, I'd support it, but from what I understand SDL has quite a lot of work left to do on it.

Again, GP2X Linux at the moment is little more than a bloated launcher that looks cool and has potential for Linux geeks to port stuff to it, without peripherals I imagine that most apps will have a higher novelty value than anything.
You obviously have no idea what Linux is or how incredibly useful it is to have on the gp2x. Yes, hitting the hardware directly will be faster for those apps that need it, but that will probably be less than 5% of the apps made for the gp2x. The rest will be interesting little games and apps, the majority of which will happily run on a machine at 66mhz or less, and having linux and sdl available right from the start will mean that those apps will be appearing much quicker than they ever did on the gp32. Linux is certainly not just a 'bloated launcher'. It is an established operating system with a vast collection of very useful libraries that can be ported across to the gp2x very easily allowing people to quickly port their existing win32/linux apps or write new ones.

Sigh. If you'd read the post that began this thread, HH mode hadn't been even announced or widely known until I suggest we club the penguin to a spreadable paste.

Also, can you see the humour involved in the thread title? Can ya see what I did there? Ah, there ya go.

Sheesh.

Most users *will* notice a difference, there is a difference, and I'm sure if you're one of those excited about emulators you will notice a difference in speed from raw HH to GP2X Linux. If, on the other hand, you're also one of the Linux geek elite, well I suppose you're just excited about showing off a handheld gaming console with Linux on it. I can see how that would be exciting, from a geek perspective...

I not only noticed the original post. I also noticed DaveC's usual PSP/SNES biased reply, I use this post as an example of the title given attracting a certain crowd wanting to spead there own uninformed agenda, with little or no basis, and you should never assume that people will get your humour, in fact judging by your replies little of it is evidence.

Most users will not notice the difference in speed for all the emulators that don't need access to machine,(although to tell the truth I can't belive many of the issues with linux cannot be solved in linux I use dri and agpgart on my machine for example). Hows this going to affect C64 emulation/Spectum/Nes I'd argue very very stongly that the advantages of linux outweight any benfit HH could bring, and you should know what they are before making such an emotive post.

Again I said most users shouldn't notice or care

Again, GP2X Linux at the moment is little more than a bloated launcher that looks cool and has potential for Linux geeks to port stuff to it, without peripherals I imagine that most apps will have a higher novelty value than anything.
You obviously have no idea what Linux is or how incredibly useful it is to have on the gp2x. Yes, hitting the hardware directly will be faster for those apps that need it, but that will probably be less than 5% of the apps made for the gp2x. The rest will be interesting little games and apps, the majority of which will happily run on a machine at 66mhz or less, and having linux and sdl available right from the start will mean that those apps will be appearing much quicker than they ever did on the gp32. Linux is certainly not just a 'bloated launcher'. It is an established operating system with a vast collection of very useful libraries that can be ported across to the gp2x very easily allowing people to quickly port their existing win32/linux apps or write new ones.

Obviously? Come on, I'm not slagging Linux here or it's potential on the GP2X, I think I have stated that several times now.

I'm not saying LINUX is a bloated launcher, at all, and I am saying that currently on the GP2X Linux is somewhat of a novelty until there are some peripherals available. Yes I know that Linux itself will make it easier to adapt peripherals to the GP2X and also that there are inumerable bits and pieces that could be easily ported to the GP2X Linux.

My point is that the GP2X's true power can only be realised by hitting the hardware, without the GPH Linux, and that can't be denied.

BTW, awesome work on porting Quake, I guess from your post that you ported that to the new GP2X Linux SDL? What kind of frame rates etc are you getting so far, and do you have plans to port it to the "HH" SDL when it is available? ;)

HH is not being developed by DaveC and gp2brew. Its being done by some of the finest coders in the handheld scene. If they believe it is needed/ will be useful for some apps, I'll believe them.

Obviously its not needed for most apps, and the presence of Linux will have many many benefits, but the few apps it is needed by are the ones people care about the most generally. eg- 16bit emulation.

Everyone is basically saying the same thing here just with slight differences in emphasis.

Sheesh.

I not only noticed the original post. I also noticed DaveC's usual PSP/SNES biased reply, I use this post as an example of the title given attracting a certain crowd wanting to spead there own uninformed agenda, with little or no basis, and you should never assume that people will get your humour, in fact judging by your replies little of it is evidence.

Most users will not notice the difference in speed for all the emulators that don't need access to machine,(although to tell the truth I can't belive many of the issues with linux cannot be solved in linux I use dri and agpgart on my machine for example). Hows this going to affect C64 emulation/Spectum/Nes I'd argue very very stongly that the advantages of linux outweight any benfit HH could bring, and you should know what they are before making such an emotive post.

Again I said most users shouldn't notice or care

Ok, so you are a Linux zealot then. You do realise that Linux on the GP2X's limited system is not at all the same creature you're used to on your desktop, right?

Your comment about C64 emulation is uninformed, it is notoriously difficult to properly emulate the C64 (Frodo is NOT proper emulation), and the only way this will happen on the GP2X is by hitting the hardware.

The same is true for most emulators, seriously checkout the emulation on GP32 that only hits the hardware and realise that most do not run at full frame rates or offer 100% emulation, even though many are quite playable and good enough for most.

The title again? Well, I'm so sorry for offending your delicated Linux zealot sensibilities, I didn't realise that political correctness extended to mascots of operating systems.

One moment.

<clubs Tux into a bloody pulp and spreads it on his toast>

Ah, see that's kinda satisfying.

I love the way you just disregard every pro-Linux response as zealotry. Really intelligent. Really makes me glad to be a part of this scene.

Your responses reveal you to be the biggest zealot in the discussion. Anti-Linux zealotry is still very much zealotry.

A good penguin is a dead penguin ;)

deadpenguin3ob.gif

(No penguins where harmed in the making of this picture)

I don't see why everyone is taking sides? There's no reason why we can't have both Linux and HH is there? I love Linux and I have a Linux partition running on my system. But I still recognize that some things like snes and amiga emulation would benefit from running outside Linux. I wouldn't want to do away with Linux though because that would be losing out on a lot of Linux applications and games.

Yeah, and the picture was just a joke. Sorry if it was in bad taste.

I don't see why everyone is taking sides? There's no reason why we can't have both Linux and HH is there? I love Linux and I have a Linux partition running on my system. But I still recognize that some things like snes and amiga emulation would benefit from running outside Linux. I wouldn't want to do away with Linux though because that would be losing out on a lot of Linux applications and games.

Yeah, and the picture was just a joke. Sorry if it was in bad taste.

Ah, humour, it's a great thing isn't it? ;)

You know I was just googling for an image like that, eheheh.

I'm in no way anti-Linux, it's funny to see people read what I've written and jump to the conclusion that I'm threatening their belief system or something :p

Also, many Linux games have been ported to the GP32, with no need for Linux. As has been pointed out there will be SDL for the GP2X that doesn't rely on penguin power.

That said, I'm going to make that penguin w/ sauce my avatar, hehe.

I'm in no way anti-Linux, it's funny to see people read what I've written and jump to the conclusion that I'm threatening their belief system or something :p

Not as funny as the fact that it's always the least informed members of this board who seem to have the most to say on any given topic ;)

Also, many Linux games have been ported to the GP32, with no need for Linux. As has been pointed out there will be SDL for the GP2X that doesn't rely on penguin power.

Eventually, yes, but this way we get them faster. Would the availability of a playable Quake port be as likely on release day without Linux? Probably not :)

Not as funny as the fact that it's always the least informed members of this board who seem to have the most to say on any given topic ;)

You're saying that DaveC is one of the least informed members of this board? :lol:

Oh, you mean me? Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

Eventually, yes, but this way we get them faster. Would the availability of a playable Quake port be as likely on release day without Linux? Probably not :)

If the GP2X had come with an SDL based SDK not based on Linux, then there still would have been a Quake port. Linux != SDL. But then I know what you're saying of course, although I'm more interested in what Squidge and co have come up with using this "HH" setup than the awe and wonder of Linux on a handheld.

Yeah it's great, and it has a lot of potential, I'd just like to see what the GP2X can really do unfettered by overweight penguins.

"Hitting the Hardware Hitting the Hardware Hitting the Hardware Hitting the Hardware Hitting the Hardware Hitting the Hardware Hitting the Hardware Hitting the Hardware Hitting the Hardware."

What happened to kernel modules?

Ok, so you are a Linux zealot then. You do realise that Linux on the GP2X's limited system is not at all the same creature you're used to on your desktop, right?

Your comment about C64 emulation is uninformed, it is notoriously difficult to properly emulate the C64 (Frodo is NOT proper emulation), and the only way this will happen on the GP2X is by hitting the hardware.

The same is true for most emulators, seriously checkout the emulation on GP32 that only hits the hardware and realise that most do not run at full frame rates or offer 100% emulation, even though many are quite playable and good enough for most.

The title again? Well, I'm so sorry for offending your delicated Linux zealot sensibilities, I didn't realise that political correctness extended to mascots of operating systems.

One moment.

LOL I prefer the term linux user :). Actually I've run linux on devices a lot less powerful than that of a gp2X. In fact I've run windows95 on machinces less powerful than the GP2X so you should get the idea.

LOL Frodo not proper emulation.

LOL 100% emulation

Look you need to think of your insults more, think witty and funny, or at least spiteful. Calling someone a Linux zealot doesn't really work. If you are one your proud of it. If your not your not fussed.

One moment.

LOL I prefer the term linux user :). Actually I've run linux on devices a lot less powerful than that of a gp2X. In fact I've run windows95 on machinces less powerful than the GP2X so you should get the idea.

LOL Frodo not proper emulation.

LOL 100% emulation

Look you need to think of your insults more, think witty and funny, or at least spiteful. Calling someone a Linux zealot doesn't really work. If you are one your proud of it. If your not your not fussed.

Frodo, it's the only c64 emulator on GP32, and no it is in so many ways not proper or 100% emulation. I do actually know what I'm talking about when it comes to the ol' c64, chuckles.

Insults? You're under the impression that I'm insulting you? I apologise for the miscommunication then.

Frodo, it's the only c64 emulator on GP32, and no it is in so many ways not proper or 100% emulation. I do actually know what I'm talking about when it comes to the ol' c64, chuckles.

Insults? You're under the impression that I'm insulting you? I apologise for the miscommunication then.

I know what it is, I also understand the value of proper, only a MAME dev would talk about such things everybody else wants to play games.

Your being intentionally offensive, and inciting people. your on your third?? topic of baiting people, and all could have been said in one. I'd say you have an agenda, but you don't seem to be a DaveC, so I don't know what your trying to achive.

I know what it is, I also understand the value of proper, only a MAME dev would talk about such things everybody else wants to play games.

There are many excellent games that will not work in Frodo on the GP32, or in any Frodo port. I'm also a c64 demo coder and I'd love to be able to have the cutting edge of the commie in a handheld, not even the PSP has managed this yet (some people are working on a VICE port), so I know it's a lot to hope for.

Ok, no laughing at the c64, it's capable of things that you're probably not aware of, so I'll mark that down to inexperience.

Your being intentionally offensive, and inciting people. your on your third?? topic of baiting people, and all could have been said in one. I'd say you have an agenda, but you don't seem to be a DaveC, so I don't know what your trying to achive.

Again, I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not being intentionally offensive, if my sense of humour offends you then I'm not going to censor myself. Baiting people in three threads, I can't agree with that either.

If you were reading what I have been posting objectively, rather than taking offence to what you see as my dislike of Linux, which is completely removed from the point I'm making here, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Issues have cropped up over the past few days that I've considered and then joined in discussion or started a thread like this one. As far as I know, the "HH" development hadn't been discussed before this thread, and before some people began taking offence at my dark humour about killing Tux this thread had served it's purpose.

Right now, you're not contributing to the discussion in this thread, I'm not accusing you of baiting or being offensive.

The PSP doesn't have proper c64 emulation yet? That's weird. I have been playing CCS64 (emulator) on an old 200MHz PC for years - it runs perfect lock step emulation (100%) so even runs those games that hit the hardware directly etc. I wonder why no-one has looked at that yet. Perhaps its not open source...

Back