The "port Request" Wiki Page

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
This is an experiment I guess, it may work or it may trainwreck horribly. The Port Request thread is getting rather long, with many good requests hidden under pages of chat. So I've started up a page on the wiki, where it's all apps and links... nice easy browsing for hopeful punters and devs alike. ;)

Being a wiki of course, anyone can add their ideas. There are a few conditions though, which are listed on the wiki page as well as here:

Before adding your request, please follow these very important steps:
  • Check that your request is not already listed on the wiki page.
  • Determine if your request is viable, using this flowchart: Link
  • When it comes time to add your request, please use the appropriate category and observe alphabetical order.
  • You MUST provide a link to the source code. If you cannot do this, please do not add a request.
And remember: PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE!

I'd also suggest that we don't all rush in and add our personal top twenty apps. A list ten miles long will get counter-productive quickly. Bear in mind that many everyday apps like Firefox, Pidgin, Abiword etc etc are already happening. Also remember that an entry on the list does not equal an obligation on the part of our community devs. They will look at the list only if/when they want to, and they make the call on what they want to port.

I've kicked it off with some stuff from the port request thread, and a couple of other things. There have already been some other contributors too. Here 'tis: http://pandorawiki.org/Port_Requests

Last edited by a moderator:
Added a few things in the GraphicsGame Engines category. Nice idea; now it's much easier for potential porters to find something to work on.

BTW, maybe we should add a "Being worked on by..." column? So as to get some kind of status quo if someone wants to start porting something.

Good idea! I was going to add the excellent Pocket Physics since the dev said he'd be interested in porting/giving the source to someone for the Pandora, but I see Numpty Physics there instead. ^_^

Just added GemRB. It works on N810 and you can play BG2 and Planescape Torment. Yay

Just added GemRB. It works on N810 and you can play BG2 and Planescape Torment. Yay

Ahem, You should add:
  • Check request is not already in the "Projects Under Development" wiki page.
  • Check that your request is not already listed on the wiki page.
  • Determine if your request is viable, using this flowchart: Link
  • When it comes time to add your request, please use the appropriate category and observe alphabetical order.
  • You MUST provide a link to the source code. If you cannot do this, please do not add a request.

Same applies for Hexen 2, Otherwise good idea.

I see this as a pleasant misstake. It's allways feels good to be wrong when the truth is better. I'll be removing it from requests. And good luck with the port

I just added bsdgames to the games-related part of the list. However, the only source links I could find were for the source packages in the repositories of about a gajillion* Linux and BSD distributions - I hope that isn't a problem.

*May not be an accurate figure.

Seems like a promising idea.

I would recommend adding the link to the article to the main page of PandoraWiki, though (probably under "developers").

EDIT: I added "Carrier Instant Messenger", which is a fork of Pidgin (which is already ported to Pandora) that has some nicer features.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just added blender. It might be nice to model on the go or tweak models in the debugging process.

Plus I have a crappy computer...

Ah, yes, blender is a must!
I already wanted to add it once but when I got on the wiki I have forgotten about it again ;)
If no-one else ports blender I will probably do it, but possibly I will also write my own model-editor because I think blender is too much.

I'm just wondering if someone could do me a favour and add something to the Port Request page for me, please. For some reason my account isn't staying logged in (is anyone else having this issue right now, or is it just me?), so I can't add it myself.

It is a game, by the name of Ardentryst, and the source code is here.

Also, I had something to add to the Projects Under Development page, if that's not too much trouble. It's an edit to the entry for Ubuntu on there. I think its status should probably be listed as "WIP" instead of "Unknown", now, as the current release (9.04) does support some ARM platforms. The relevant link is here.

Thankyou most kindly, and my apologies for inconveniencing anyone.

I'm having issues too. Something is screwy with the wiki.

I can log in, but it won't let me save edits due to a "loss of session data".

Back