The Suspend Functionality

What is more important for you?

• Suspend

Votes: 67 42.9%
  • UI

Votes: 89 57.1%

• Total voters

Am confused with all this suspend stuff :( So what will the Pandora be able to do with the lid closed?
Will I, for ex. be able to use a media player (example: play mp3 playlist) with the lid closed?
Or maybe play a movie through the composite out with the Pandora lid shut (for example to watch a movie with video glasses), or will it suspend and stop all activity once suspend is implemented?

I'm asking this in this thread because I see it as related and I didn't feel it necessary to open a new topic in case it has been asked/answered before.

Thanks.

relliker said:
Am confused with all this suspend stuff :( So what will the Pandora be able to do with the lid closed?
Will I, for ex. be able to use a media player (example: play mp3 playlist) with the lid closed?
Or maybe play a movie through the composite out with the Pandora lid shut (for example to watch a movie with video glasses), or will it suspend and stop all activity once suspend is implemented?

I'm asking this in this thread because I see it as related and I didn't feel it necessary to open a new topic in case it has been asked/answered before.

Thanks.
Closing and opening the lid is just a trigger. It can do anything you want it to. Typically, closing the lid would suspend the system, or (in this case, at least) put the entire thing into extreme low power mode, but there's no reason it has to. You can (in theory at least, we'll see how it works out in reality eventually) set it to only turn off the screen, and not ramp down the CPU or anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or it could be made so that you hold down the following keys: w, f, the number 2, and the smelt bar while typing out "Ginesha is great" and hitting the escape key for twenty minutes, to fix everything after the emergency shutdown messes up whatever.

In accordance with this review, Achros 5 (which is also based on Cortex A-8) supports suspending:
Return from suspend requires a sub 1-second button press.
We need to investigate this feature, I still believe that Linux does support OMAP3 suspending.

Vitel said:
In accordance with this review, Achros 5 (which is also based on Cortex A-8) supports suspending:
Return from suspend requires a sub 1-second button press.
We need to investigate this feature, I still believe that Linux does support OMAP3 suspending.
It's quite possible that there's no problem with the OMAP3, but with one of the numerous other drivers (wifi, audio, power management...) - the Archos and Pandora hardware probably doesn't have much in common other than the OMAP.

Tom` said:
It's quite possible that there's no problem with the OMAP3, but with one of the numerous other drivers (wifi, audio, power management...) - the Archos and Pandora hardware probably doesn't have much in common other than the OMAP.
It's also possible that "suspend" is really just the same ultra-conservative power mode that there are already plans to implement on the Pandora.

Back