The Tournament Hub (Launcher)

this project is practically dead.
 Why is that? It was already working pretty well.
Time and motivation. My real life has been quite stressful lately, and with all the things going on, the times I've sat down to code, I've literally opened up Visual Studio, and closed it two seconds later and instead loaded up Starcraft or YouTube (or both) :(

I still have Sky Supreme that I need to fix up the single player so I can release it for the Pandora too. I'm also still trying to work on a wxWidgets based calendar/pim suite, because I can't find any I like (even that gets slow progress, and I have about 40 abandoned versions with none of them functional)

Anyway, I don't know, maybe once my real life has settled a bit, I can pick it back up, but until then I'm not sure.

If anyone is keen enough to take a look in the mean time - the source code is available

https://github.com/pmprog/TournamentHub

Last edited by a moderator:
The farthest I came so far: Could open menu with A button and in the background the tiles started loading, but then it still crashed.
Yeah, I've disabled the download from the Repo. That's the old version. The new version has not yet been released
Could the latest version please be posted to the repo?

Maybe with a remark a la "Not fully working yet, developer had to abandon project, source code public at github, continuation appreciated".

Appreciated!

The farthest I came so far: Could open menu with A button and in the background the tiles started loading, but then it still crashed.
Yeah, I've disabled the download from the Repo. That's the old version. The new version has not yet been released

Maybe with a remark a la "Not fully working yet, developer had to abandon project, source code public at github, continuation appreciated".

Appreciated!
The latest version is pointless, as it had less functionality that the older one. It was just designed better (I think).

To be honest, I wasn't sure if there was still much interest in the Tournament Hub anyway, what with Jeff fixing up the sync times in his UI.

Like I said, I may revisit and pull it back out, but I don't know if or when that might be.

No one replied to my particular report with the attached pnd_run log in post #261 from 2013-06-30.

An excerpt here:

GamesTab: Active Syncs 136
DownloadManager: Queue Length: 133; Download Count: 1
DownloadManager: Queue Length: 132; Download Count: 2
GamesTab: URL Downloaded 'http://skeezix.walle...001/json_1/wboy' (Length: 29322)
GamesTab: Active Syncs 135
GamesTab: Scores JSON arrived for 'wboy'
DownloadManager: Queue Length: 132; Download Count: 1
DownloadManager: Queue Length: 131; Download Count:/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 522:  7883 Segmentation fault      "$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS "$@"
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( ./C4AMenu  ) ----------

This makes me think that the problem is related to the MAME rom "wboy".

But I dunno what's wrong about it. Investigation/explanation appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ "wboy" just happened to be the last rom in the folder alphabetically. So that's not the problem.

Line 522 in /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh happens to be the start of the definition of the function runApp(),

which is unable to run the if-else-clause, which contains "$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS "$@".

Wanted to find pnd_run.sh in the web git repository, to link it from here, but I did not know how to search for a certain filename within the web git repository.

Googling "pnd_run.sh site:git.openpandora.org" did not help either, as it did not show the file in the tree itself, but dozens changes of it.

I don't off-hand know how to search for files in git either, but I do happen to know that the head revision of pnd_run.sh is here: http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pandora-libraries.git;a=blob;f=testdata/scripts/pnd_run.sh;h=32ba9a3a89fe7d0ed15578aa1d43628d4cf84268;hb=HEAD

Think I found it when looking for the source of pnd_make.sh, which is linked off the wiki, and lives in the same directory.

Yeah, that line number just means 'error on trying to run this thing' so is pretty common. I'd pay more attention to the debug information produced - it seems to have crashed on calculating that final download count or thereabouts.

Appreciated!
The latest version is pointless, as it had less functionality that the older one. It was just designed better (I think).

To be honest, I wasn't sure if there was still much interest in the Tournament Hub anyway, what with Jeff fixing up the sync times in his UI.

Like I said, I may revisit and pull it back out, but I don't know if or when that might be.
TBH, the Tournament Hub WAS nice...and still could be...but only if it launches MAME games also directly, like it does non-MAME games.

As it is now, I only use the Launcher for non-MAME games.

I just go in on C4A staright off for MAME, since it's gonna make me do it anyway.

TBH, the Tournament Hub WAS nice...and still could be...but only if it launches MAME games also directly, like it does non-MAME games.

As it is now, I only use the Launcher for non-MAME games.

I just go in on C4A staright off for MAME, since it's gonna make me do it anyway.
Not quite sure I understand what you're saying here. It could be nice if it only launches MAME games? ie replacing the C4A-MAME UI?

Also, when you loaded a C4A-MAME game from TTH, it should boot you straight into the game, not just give you the C4A-MAME UI. That was an update Jeff added his PND.

Well, the Tournament Hub I have currently, when you select a MAME game, it launches C4A, then you have to pick your game...instead of going straight into the game.

OTOH, you need the Tournament Hub...to get into the non-MAME gasmes on C4A, don't you?

For example, even Cannonball, you can't get into from C4A.  So the Hub is definitely a needed thing.

Hmmm, well, changes were made to both TTH and C4A-MAME to allow booting straight into the game, but I'm unsure if that version was ever released. The plan was you wouldn't need to, and it'd just start the game.

And no, you don't require TTH to launch non-MAME C4A games. Most have their own menu items, or are selected in-game.

Cannonball - you just load the game, then pick "Play C4A Game" from the menu. Doesn't require TTH either.

Nothing *required* TTH, which is another reason why it started sliding into oblivion.

OK, did not know you could launch Cannonball that way, I always launched that one from the Hub.

I think that one is the only "non-MAME" C4A game I currently have.

Now, if Frootopia were to go C4A, I might get that.

At any rate, if there IS a release of the Tournament Hub that lauches MAME directly - I would definitely use it.

Off to the Repo to look....

Hmmm, well, changes were made to both TTH and C4A-MAME to allow booting straight into the game, but I'm unsure if that version was ever released. The plan was you wouldn't need to, and it'd just start the game.

And no, you don't require TTH to launch non-MAME C4A games. Most have their own menu items, or are selected in-game.

Cannonball - you just load the game, then pick "Play C4A Game" from the menu. Doesn't require TTH either.

Nothing *required* TTH, which is another reason why it started sliding into oblivion.
Not on Repo...in fact you can't get ANYTHING for Tournament Hub on Repo.

Not on Repo...in fact you can't get ANYTHING for Tournament Hub on Repo.
Correct, people were complaining it wasn't working for them, and I couldn't reproduce any of the problems.

Back