The Upcoming Fennec Browser Looks Schweet...

cb88

The mighty inverse laplacinator
Website
gcadvsg.rr.nu
http://aza.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Spatia...%20spatial.html

here is the demo you can try out in firefox... i think it only works in firefox 3 or a gecko 1.9 based browser but im not sure.... looks pretty neat the demo is pretty rough though kinda like the MK0 photos we are getting ;-)

so what do you think would you use it or would you prefer a conventional interface also recent builds of firefox on arm are about 6x as fast as the current microB browser on the N800 at least for javascripts

reference: http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9209958919.html

ick, offputting, maybe if it had a simple get started mode, I was instantly upset when my first tab left the screen, and I have been known to purposefully throw windows where I can't see them (multi-display pc, 2-5 displays, ranging from 15"-100" or larger ;)

@thumbs (Firefox works fine, I have been using FF3 for the last week, no problems here. Opera was just too slow last I tried, has it gotten faster in the last year? I may have read that incorrectly, do you prefer Firefox less? Or think it is less functional?)

Edit, nevermind, I love it:

Vimeo video: Firefox Mobile Concept Video

Looks sweet, I was doing it wrong, also was partially confused by the lack of actual browsing, this might work, if it has actual options at the bottom and the address bar leaves at the top we may have something, very very cool Mozilla guys, B) .

I need options like "search in google" and "open as new tab", these are the probably the two that pissed me off the most with the PSP browser, besides the fact that you Don't want to type on their horrid on-screen keyboard, they wouldn't let you copy/paste existent text on a page, which I can't live without even if their is a full keyboard available, let alone the "cruel and unusual punishment" that is the PSP onscreen keyboard (I know that you guys can back me up on this, the SNES had several games with better on-screen keyboards didn't it?).

nice catch cb88 :) , I will look forward to this. I wonder if it might be useful in a "tabletop" or possibly laser pointer on a projection type of environment, seeing as how it is single touch.

well they do have a while to work on it i think it is due in 2009... with firefox 4

yeah i was too happy about demo not being able to really browse either LOL

This looks amazing. I would LOVE to have this browser on my Pandora. Although, I would be kind of sad about having to wait for a year before I get it.

-God Ginrai

I'm sure some extensions for firefox 3 will be enough for pleasant browsing.

sindbad said:
I'm sure some extensions for firefox 3 will be enough for pleasant browsing.
I have no complaints about FireFox 3, it's a great browser, but if I had the choice between downloading this and using it on my Pandora or downloading FireFox 3 and using it on my Pandora, I would probably choose this, because it was designed with mobile systems in mind.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
@thumbs (Firefox works fine, I have been using FF3 for the last week, no problems here. Opera was just too slow last I tried, has it gotten faster in the last year? I may have read that incorrectly, do you prefer Firefox less? Or think it is less functional?)
Opera's sped up considerably. I enjoy the built in RSS/usenet/email/IRC client (M2) and the small resource footprint. Firefox just lacks the features on Opera I use the most.

The only thing I do find with Opera and speed is that pages like Facebook and it do not mix very well, for all that they're rendering them using the graphics card where possible.

Fennec does look interesting, though. It'd need a little modification, I think, for Pandora usage (for instance: to make use of some extra buttons), but I do like the use of screen realestate.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Looks fun to screw around with, but a traditional browser would be much more functional and useful, IMO, [...]
How so? I see the maximization of screen real estate much more useful than a chrome that would just take up space on an already small screen.

CronoTriggerfan said:
[...] especially one that's tailored directly to Pandora.
This already IS tailored to a mobile platform, which the Pandora is, and with a few tweaks, we could even tailor it further specifically for the Pandora. (You would need a lot more tweaks to tailor a full desktop browser to the Pandora)

-God Ginrai

All that frilly GUI crap is bound to slow things down considerably. A solid FireFox port would have an already active support community, as well as a myriad of add-ons and customizability. As far as screen space, a simple skin can easily fix any woes in that department.

This application may be useful in the future, but I find it silly you're already swearing allegiance to some software demo that you've never even seen running on a mobile device.

CronoTriggerfan said:
All that frilly GUI crap is bound to slow things down considerably. A solid FireFox port would have an already active support community, as well as a myriad of add-ons and customizability. As far as screen space, a simple skin can easily fix any woes in that department.

This application may be useful in the future, but I find it silly you're already swearing allegiance to some software demo that you've never even seen running on a mobile device.
Speaking of slowing things down, that's what add-ons do. Also, none of the GUI seems very "frilly", in fact, this is very barebones in comparison to FireFox's GUI.

Finally, none of us are swearing allegiance of any sort. We're just recognizing that if this browser turns out how they make it sound to be that it would be a hell of a lot better of a choice than FireFox 3.

-God Ginrai

trooper said:
Opera FTW, :wub: If only. :rolleyes:

Trooper
Opera's a good browser, you can't argue with that. But, I'm partial to FireFox.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
trooper said:

Trooper

-God Ginrai

I may just go screaming out Pandora, Open source, Linux, Pocketable and games console over at opera.com and see where that gets me (Hopefully not banned :rolleyes: ), Though i`d have to wait until the pandora is out before doing so, Otherwise i`ll get screams of vapourware in return. :rolleyes:

Trooper

trooper said:
God Ginrai said:
trooper said:

Trooper

-God Ginrai

I may just go screaming out Pandora, Open source, Linux, Pocketable and games console over at opera.com and see where that gets me (Hopefully not banned :rolleyes: ), Though i`d have to wait until the pandora is out before doing so, Otherwise i`ll get screams of vapourware in return. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Do you really think that Opera would do a free browser for the Pandora? o_ô I would think that they would only release a browser if we would buy it. :\

-God Ginrai

uuuurrrr... fennec IS FIREFOX LOL just a different interface

and i don't really see how we could possibly judge it before it is released i just made this post because it looked cool and functional....

and you claim that fennec would not have a support community.... you are wrong because fennec is an official mozilla project and one of the very reasons that firefox has been cutting back on its diet of ram

Edit: how is it possible to double post within a single post? :-||

Back