The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

daclassicgamingmaster said:
The new button layout looks like the type to rape my poor thumb :(

I'm gonna have to wait before buying this thing. They couldn't add normal buttons?
Your poor thumb shouldn't go out in that short skirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pumpkin said:
If you want to see pictures or the new button scheme goto:www.gp2xwiz.com
IcoNyx said:
Dude, I didn't make it past page 4 before I had the undeniable urge to reach through my display and slap you.
Bla bla bla, really long post. bla bla, silly redneck, bla bla bla.
Good strong point with lots of emotion and evidence ever do debating? LOL

First off... that is the most sexy layout I have EVER seen!!! I made a quick cardboard mockup (based on info I found on google and that image) and DAAAAAYYUM... that is the most comfortable device I have ever held!

granted I haven't a clue as to weight and if the thing is too light or too heavy then I'll have to change my tone... but for now... yeah... I'm in love.

As for your second question, I was banned from debate. I pissed off the teacher... we don't talk about it.

The new button layout looks like the type to rape my poor thumb :(

I'm gonna have to wait before buying this thing. They couldn't add normal buttons?
I'm with ignatz, your thumbs shouldn't go out in such outfits... they beg to be raped.

What the heck are you talking about?!? Those ARE normal buttons... there is a nice separation between them. as far as I can tell the shape makes them easier to activate for any size thumb! What? You want circular buttons? Conformist. Why don't you go buy a PSP, run windows, and drive a prius hybrid like all the other good little conformists.

But I have to admit, I owned a VMU for the Dreamcast and LOVED playing with my chao from sonic adventures... that little thing was ACTUALLY comfortable to me... I also owned and felt comfortable playing a gameboy micro.

IcoNyx said:
What the heck are you talking about?!? Those ARE normal buttons... there is a nice separation between them. as far as I can tell the shape makes them easier to activate for any size thumb! What? You want circular buttons? Conformist. Why don't you go buy a PSP, run windows, and drive a prius hybrid like all the other good little conformists.
Wow, way to assume. All I'm saying is it LOOKS awkward. Buttons should at least be level with the system instead of having a curve to them. Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe YOU are wrong. We'll know when we get the console, wont we? ;)

By the way, I DO own a PSP and run windows. 2 out of 3....congrats ;)

IcoNyx said:
Wow, way to assume. All I'm saying is it LOOKS awkward. Buttons should at least be level with the system instead of having a curve to them. Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe YOU are wrong. We'll know when we get the console, wont we? ;)

Agreed, buttons are normally circular and don't have a big change in elevation because it's comfortable and it works, not because they're "conformists" who "give into the greedy corporations, man!" [/hippie]

Seriously, though, it's cool if you like the Wiz and want to justify its control scheme, but don't be a retard about it.

Righto, here's my 5 pence worth:

Being someone who already owns a Wiz I can say that the buttons seem fine to me. Obviously I have the pre production model and the 4 buttons are one single mould, but even they feel fine to use. Quite easy on the fingers! So I would imagine the new 4 mould version would be even better!

I think we should wait until the Wiz is released and we have your hands on one before making decisions either way. All I can say is, what one person will love, another will hate. But that's the way of the world ain't it? I guarantee, Wiz, Pandora, PSP, NDS etc someone somewhere hates each and every one of their button layouts.

Any questions?

My two cents about screen size: I have a Neo Freerunner with a 2.8" screen and it doesn't feel too small(maybe a bit when browsing web).

IcoNyx said:

I dunno... I really didn't notice the raised edges... I mean, I did... but they didn't stick out in my mind... you may be right... but I still like it.

CronoTriggerfan said:
IcoNyx said:

Agreed, buttons are normally circular and don't have a big change in elevation because it's comfortable and it works, not because they're "conformists" who "give into the greedy corporations, man!" [/hippie]

Seriously, though, it's cool if you like the Wiz and want to justify its control scheme, but don't be a retard about it.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as being rude... I was trying to be fecisious.

I do like the design of the wiz... but again as pointed out by daclassicgamingmaster, I could be wrong, get the wiz, play for a week, then end up with torn up thumbs... but I still think it LOOKS pretty...

WarmFluffyUK said:
Righto, here's my 5 pence worth:

Being someone who already owns a Wiz I can say that the buttons seem fine to me. Obviously I have the pre production model and the 4 buttons are one single mould, but even they feel fine to use. Quite easy on the fingers! So I would imagine the new 4 mould version would be even better!

I think we should wait until the Wiz is released and we have your hands on one before making decisions either way. All I can say is, what one person will love, another will hate. But that's the way of the world ain't it? I guarantee, Wiz, Pandora, PSP, NDS etc someone somewhere hates each and every one of their button layouts.

Any questions?
Well, this seems like a grand endorsement... either way I will probably be buying both the wiz and pandora... call me crazy if you want.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Oddly enough you don't notice that the screen is small as it's so bright and vibrant! The viewing angle is amazing too, more like a flat screen CRT than a TFT.
This is good to know! :D I'm getting a Pandora, but knowing this makes the Wiz an option for when I want to carry around something just a little smaller.

The biggest problem I had with the GP2X was the viewing angle. In short, for me the best viewing angle and the most comfortable holding angle were two totally different things. And I couldn't just "deal" with it as holding it consciously at the best viewing angle would only last a minute at best, after which I would slowly resume holding it comfortably, at which point the screen would become difficult to view. :angry: I would do this 4-5 times before switching it off in frustration, which is why my GP2X looks brand new, without a scratch on it.

Hmmm...I was thinking they would've added round buttons like the gp2x. Looks kind of like a cop out. Yeah they are seperate buttons, but I don't know since the buttons incave like the left D-Pad. I also wonder how it is when the buttons are pressed, and if ED or anyone alse has been able to test one of the new ones?

EDIT: Well after looking at the angled picture on the gp2x.com web site I feel a bit more comfortable with it. I still don't like how the buttons incave, but it probably won't even be an issue when playing. It just looks kinda weird. I still appreciate GPH for making the buttons separate.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Xmoon said:
How are the PIM included for Wiz?
The What?

I don't know exact words for that acronym, but maybe something like "Personal Information Management". "PIM application" typically means contacts, tasks, calendar and notes on PDAs.

So far the PIM seems to include a calendar with the ability to assign events to each day (with an optional alarm attached to the event), a memo pad, and a daily alarm clock with 10 slots. There's also a world clock. The on-screen keyboard that is used to enter all the information is very nice and easy to use both with the stylus and with the buttons.

I think that the idea to include basic PDA functionality in the firmware is a nice touch, certainly will be useful :) I'd like to add that due to the battery-backed rtc, there's likely to be a lot more development on the PDA-app front than there was on the GP2X.

So that's the final product? They just seperated the buttons?

Slick said:
Don't loose confidence, the pre production model I have is extremely playable and comfy, and this is the all in one moulded model. This feels as nice as round buttons to me so I bet the single button model will be even better.

Hmm... I never had the chance to purchase the F200. But with the redesigned buttons on the Wiz, I am now interested in this thing. I would like to see it next to something I know, so as to determine the size. I now mostly carry a Gameboy Micro in my pocket. This could easily replace that. I am going to start saving now and will pick this up in the new year.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Slick said:
Don't loose confidence, the pre production model I have is extremely playable and comfy, and this is the all in one moulded model. This feels as nice as round buttons to me so I bet the single button model will be even better.

Have you played emulators in it? EvilDragon said that everyone who used it to play emulators said that the dual dpad design was terrible for emulation (SNES emulation in particular). It's fine to say that it feels nice but in order for this to really mean much people have to know what you've actually used it for.

Back