The worries of an early adoptor

I hope like many the there wont be a revision or anything like that for at least
2 years ,the memory is already a problem for me ,YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY
we all know that ,and tooo many times have devices punted small amounts of memory
but the devs think its way enough to play with ,yeh i know there will always be devs
trying to make a device do things it shouldnt be able to do and so more memory always
comes first to mind ,but i think the pandora would have been perfect with 256,really no
need for 512 ,you can do alot with 256 ,128 ???? come on.

well ,in regards to pandora revisions or new system - please dont do a nintendo
on us ,i dont think the pandora team would but think about it ,the pandora will
need to build up a base before looking into a new system ,even if in 3 years its getting
old ,as long as it can do nice 3d, mabe even at a dreamcast-gamecube quality
there will still be room to keep it going ,nintendo ds is a mear n64 with worse pixelated
graphics and much more poor sound quality - nintendo know people will buy as its
the quality of games - tho i take that back as nintendo are releseing absolute crap
right now - wario on wii ????? its a wii not a gba - they still get away with it tho.

just concentrate for the nxt 3 years putting pandora on the map and building a large
fan base - then new pandora ,then the devs will be rich - but to do this ,we do
need some pandora only top quality games ,not clones or anything like that.

it can be done and im gonna help do it

Paddy

Sorry Paddy, can you clean up your post a bit (ie. Capital letters, punctuation etc.)? I found it very hard to read, sorry.

Paddy - being bleeding edge technology, 256MB would have doubled the cost of Pandora. Don't think of it in terms of a desktop system, or even an Intel based UMPC. We've already seen Ubuntu boot up, running Firefox, with RAM to spare - and that's unoptimised. 128 will be plenty plent.

Gruso said:
Paddy - being bleeding edge technology, 256MB would have doubled the cost of Pandora. Don't think of it in terms of a desktop system, or even an Intel based UMPC. We've already seen Ubuntu boot up, running Firefox, with RAM to spare - and that's unoptimised. 128 will be plenty plent.

Yeah, for its size, its pretty damn big.

Also since it runs at a lower resolution than your average desktop, it uses much less RAM.

As far as being obsolete goes, in the case of an open community platform, it is only obsolete once the developers have abandoned it. Why would developers abandon a platform? Perhaps because there is better competing hardware out? The Commodore 64 had a long lifespan, long after its hardware was surpassed.

Now because the Pandora is an open community platform its developers are not governed by a large company that says "what's the point paying a developer team $$$$ when the results will only be $?"

I think as long as there are developers writing Pandora-compatible apps (even if that requires Pandora owner to self-compile), it will live on for years!

$300? PS2 emulation? are you kidding? PS2 is nowhere near complete on PC yet. Sure, technological advancements, but it's all pure speculation from this point in time. I'm gonna be rooting for open source game devs, thats where the Pandora really will shine.

CC_machine said:
$300? PS2 emulation? are you kidding? PS2 is nowhere near complete on PC yet. Sure, technological advancements, but it's all pure speculation from this point in time. I'm gonna be rooting for open source game devs, thats where the Pandora really will shine.
I think that's the point. $300 seems to be about the price people were willing to pay. So at that price point, what would Pandora2 need to deliver to make it worth bothering? Those wanting homebrew are going to take a while to outlive Pandora. More memory would please some, especially the UMPC type users. In terms of emulation, it is the next step change that would make people spend the money. Hence why ~$300 and PS2 was quoted.

Other than that, I wish we were talking about the upcoming Pandora, not it's future replacement.

rokdcasbah said:
8 yeahs, eh? That's an awful long time for a handheld gadget these days. My guess is that if 8 years from now if they haven't decided to reprise the Pandora with something newer, then it will mean they have gotten out of the hardware game.

Of course, the community support will outlive official support so in that sense 8 years is not that long.

For what I would like to do with this (make 2D games, browse web, office aps, music mixing), I will only need to replace my Pandora with a new once I wear it out to the point where the controls and half the keys don't work anymore. I wouldn't mind if they added an accelerometer at some point since I'm sure there will be some good homebrew stuff for the iPhone. And of course they'll need to add a cheap camera to it to compete with the new DSi (just kidding on this one). I plan to stick with the Pandora until an open source handheld can emulate PS2 at least, which I don't see happening for a long, long, long time. The life-cycle of handhelds is very long as long as it is fairly up to date when it comes out. I always hear people talking about waiting for the PSP2 and I just laugh. I don't see that coming out for several more years.

Back