The Xbox 360 With An Hd Display

ste_167

Website
Visit site
You see, I've not actually been impressed by the in-store displays with their fancy Samsung LCDs. Maybe I've been spoilt over the years with my nice PC graphics cards, or maybe I'm just in denial and rather jealous of these HD gamers?

Maybe I'm just sick of magazines telling me that I'm not getting anything like the 'full next gen experience' with my 'crappy' 32" CRT TV with an S-Video at 480p. It looks more than fine to me - in fact, I'm not seeing the imperfections that I witness on the shop LCDs where the edges look jagged, and the textures often look less than PC-quality.

ste_167 posted on Sep 22 2006 at 11:17 AM said:
You see, I've not actually been impressed by the in-store displays with their fancy Samsung LCDs. Maybe I've been spoilt over the years with my nice PC graphics cards, or maybe I'm just in denial and rather jealous of these HD gamers?

Maybe I'm just sick of magazines telling me that I'm not getting anything like the 'full next gen experience' with my 'crappy' 32" CRT TV with an S-Video at 480p. It looks more than fine to me - in fact, I'm not seeing the imperfections that I witness on the shop LCDs where the edges look jagged, and the textures often look less than PC-quality.
Apparently in shops they set them up wrong and are usually only at 480i

Last edited by a moderator:
I can agree with you on this one man. I own a nice 50" SRX, and i can honestly say im happy with current 480p graphics. Some games (real time strategy for example) are sometimes more suited to a higher resolution display, but i feel those are better suited to a PC anyhow.

We'll see though. It IS a pretty nice increase if your going from a shitty sdtv to an hdtv. But, if you have a progressive scan sdtv like you have, its not so much IMO.

grahf posted on Sep 22 2006 at 04:36 PM said:
I can agree with you on this one man. I own a nice 50" SRX, and i can honestly say im happy with current 480p graphics. Some games (real time strategy for example) are sometimes more suited to a higher resolution display, but i feel those are better suited to a PC anyhow.

We'll see though. It IS a pretty nice increase if your going from a shitty sdtv to an hdtv. But, if you have a progressive scan sdtv like you have, its not so much IMO.

Actually, oops I meant 480i. My tv's interlaced and not progressive scan.. maybe I should look into HD afterall!

Last edited by a moderator:
only thing is the price of HD TV's.... You can get a cheap HD TV but the quality will be crap.

Technically Next Gen Gameing will cost you around £2,000 - £2,500+ when you thing of the console price then the HD TV price

I opted to use my 360 on my 19" LCD 4:3 monitor. Everything looks great in HD quality. Widescreen games have a letterbox aspect but I can totally live with that.

Drawbacks:
50Hz PAL original xbox games that the x360 is compatible with won't run because the display settings are not compatible with a vga cable.
Project Gotham racing totally ignores the 4:3 setting with the in-game screen and totally screws-up the aspect ratio making everything look squashed and too tall. Wish they would put in a letterbox option.

Back