Things To Do With Your Car And Your Gp2x

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Since my iPod has a broken display since a while and the Cradle of my IceLink (that's an adaptor to connect the iPod to a Sony CD/MD-Changer Car Radio) is also broken, I thought it's time to build something new to be able to listen to some music again :)

Sooo I built the following:

Haupt.jpg

Cute, isn't it?

Works the following way:

First, a small piece of metal on the battery cover of the gp2x:

magnet.jpg

Because that metal is part of that universal mobile phone car mount kit:

Seitl.jpg

(Here is that pic in big)

One problem I had:
The gp2x needs stabilized 3 Volts.
A car battery voltage output ranges from 8 Volt (ignition) up until 14 Volts (when the battery is charging).
So I built a small circuit:

kastl.jpg

kastl2.jpg

Nothing big, parts did cost 5 - 6 Euro. It stabilizes the current to exactly 3 Volts, works up until 1,5A (which is more than enough for the gp2x)
It works pretty well - in fact, it works THAT well, that I can start my car while the gp2x is running - and the gp2x doesn't crash nor even flicker.

Sound output for goes back into the IceLink, since I don't have a car radio with AUX Input (and the IceLink simulates a CD / MD - Changer)

Since IceLink also offers a serial protocol using the Apple Accessory Protocol, I could use my car radio to change the tracks on the gp2x if anybody codes that protocol into the gp2x ;)

That's it :)

Here's another, last picture:

Totale.jpg

(Also available in big here

Heh, now I've got a car radio that can play movies, MP3s, SIDs, SPCs, MODs, etc :)

Cute :)

For MP3s it's a brilliant idea. Not so sure about movies though...

Incredibly stylish bit od design regardless - very nice little mod. Now you just need to use the ext port to add some buttons on the side of the steering wheel.

Not so sure about movies though...

Oh, pretty useful if you've got a long drive and another person sitting beneath you :)

Funkaholic posted on Jul 14 2006 at 01:03 AM said:
Cool. Is that an Opel? The Speedster is my 2nd favorite car of all time. :D

Yep, an Opel Astra Cabrio :)

Last edited:
Now that is the work of a true PIMP. I love it. Nice clean mounting job. Do you have it hooked up to an FM transmitter? I can't imagine listening to the 2X speakers in a car.

tshroom posted on Jul 13 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
Now that is the work of a true PIMP. I love it. Nice clean mounting job. Do you have it hooked up to an FM transmitter? I can't imagine listening to the 2X speakers in a car.

<_< No, the work of a true pimp is a beaten, drug-addicted, victimized homeless female prostitute. I hate the mis-use of this word by the MTV-saturated pop-culture sheep with no individuality.

ED made a car mount for his GP2X, and a nice one at that :) Also, many, many points for owning an Opal. Nice job!

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou posted on Jul 13 2006 at 08:45 PM said:
tshroom posted on Jul 13 2006 at 09:34 PM said:

<_< No, the work of a true pimp is a beaten, drug-addicted, victimized homeless female prostitute. I hate the mis-use of this word by the MTV-saturated pop-culture sheep with no individuality.

ED made a car mount for his GP2X, and a nice one at that :) Also, many, many points for owning an Opal. Nice job!

Well, in the sense of the "pimp my ride" spirit it is the work of a pimp. I rarely watch t.v. but I have seen a few episodes. You also forget pimps are well known for their sense of style and expression. A true pimp would have something similar in his ride so that he may "sip drank", smoke, and impress potential customers all while wearing an expensive suit, hat, scarf combo from the mid-70's.

Last edited by a moderator:
tshroom posted on Jul 14 2006 at 03:34 AM said:
Do you have it hooked up to an FM transmitter? I can't imagine listening to the 2X speakers in a car.

Nope, much better :)
It's connected to the MD / CD Changer Audio Input, best quality possible :)
Sounds absolutely brilliant via the car speakers :)

Last edited:
Back