This Is Insane.

sabrecheeky

Let me get this straight in my head.

Three thousand, eight hundred people have paid the full price of two hundred great british quid for a console that does not exist, except for a few renders, a few websites, a few pictures of circuit boards, a few blurry videos and a whole lot of hope and expectation.

What kind of nutter would do that?

One like me, I thought, when my credit card bill came through and I paid the £200 for my pandora today :p

Does anyone else feel a strange mixture of severe excitement and utter disbelief with themselves for preordering? It only hit me today as I handed over the cash... hehehehe...

What have I done?!?!

I don't really see the difference between this and games I've preordered. In fact when it comes to the Pandora I am 95% certain it will be able to do all the things I intend to use it for, while information provided on games before release can often be overblown, misleading, and sometimes just patently false when features don't make it into the final version.

So nope, not really surprised at myself.

When was the last time you preordered a game that cost £200, had no release date, and was from a company for whom it was their first game, and was not going to be in any shops... ;-)

Even Street Fighter and Doom on the SNES where not as scary as that!

3800 people paid good money because they were bright enough to realise they wouldn't see anything as unique as the Pandora for a long time. That, and the developers really, really know what they're doing. We can watch every stage of development. We've already seen the parts going together.

Sure, it costs a bit more, but from where I'm sitting - having done my thorough research before preordering - there's also a far lower chance that the Pandora will somehow fail to meet up to my expectations.

After all, fun factor is hard to verify beforehand. It is a lot easier to make sure I can connect gamepads to it, then connect it to my TV and pretend I have a PSX. There's little variance in result there; either it has it or it doesn't.

Even the most faithful have their dark moments!

I'm not too much of a noob... I have an Issue one Spectrum, which managed to make it through the Sinclair ordering system, and I pre ordered an Amiga 1200 for £500 when I was a student... this just feels a little bit madder!

Yes, its getting a bit silly for me too.

This weekend I will spend another £60-£70 on stuff I need for the Pandora.

I'm going to buy THIS
2 of THESE
and THIS

Thats without factoring in the cost of Mrs UDs new shoes/overpriced handbag you couldn't fit a mobile phone and a packet of fags in, that now need to be purchased in order to restore the Pandora trade deficit.

I preordered because I felt the duty to do so.
I felt the duty to add my humble contribution to make this project a success :)

mali said:

My friend, I hear what you're saying but this weekend Im going shoe shopping. Your sacrifice is nothing. :p :lol:

Enjoyed the blog post B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfathomable Depths said:
mali said:

My friend, I hear what you're saying but this weekend Im going shoe shopping. Your sacrifice is nothing. :p :lol:

Enjoyed the blog post B)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, pal B)

If I didn't know this community and the origins of Pandora, I wouldn't have put money down so easily.

The openpandora company is in a very unique position. They have people's trust and faith even before their first product is shown in final form - something that most startups don't have in the beginning.

Let's hope things go relatively smoothly through launch and delivery. If they do, then Pandora will go down in history as something really special and remarkable.

I think that is why I'm here... It is such a unique opportunity to be part of something so ground breaking. But it is still a gamble... ;-)

I don't post often, but I have been round here a good few years, and have bought stuff from gbax, so I know the community is strong and far more knowledgeable than me!

i look at it as i have spent my money on an entrepreneur company. just hoping they make it big and if not atleast i got a cool @ss pocket computer before they go under.(not that they will go under ;) )

enigma85 said:
i look at it as i have spent my money on an entrepreneur company. just hoping they make it big and if not atleast i got a cool @ss pocket computer before they go under.(not that they will go under ;) )
Being a second batcher.. my fear is that something will happen and they won't be able to make a second batch.

Back