This is what I want the Pyra to replace, a media dump

second exodous

Advanced Member
So I needed a way to dump my SD card media from my action cam and camera without pulling out my notebook. I'm not a professional but can't really afford a ton of SD cards to last me between turning my notebook on, which could be days and days. So here is what I was thinking of getting:

nexto_di_nesv_nvs28011th_nvs2801_with_1_tb_hdd_1274026.jpg

Basically what this is is a tiny arm powered pc that has a sole purpose of just copying the contents of storage media such as SD, CF, and whatever Sony has dreamed up at this time onto an internal hard drive. It does nothing else, and with a 1TBSSD it is $1,250.00 USD. I tried preforming this function with my Pandora but USB 2.0 speeds it isn't really useful.

Anyway, this is how I'm justifying the cost of the Pyra, I need something like this and although the Pyra doesn't have a internal HDD it is easy enough to plug in a external 1TB SSD into the USB3 port and I only use SD, not CF or Sony's new thing. Plus the Pyra plays games and possibly I can do basic video editing allowing me to ditch my notebook!

There are cheaper units like this but they either lack a USB 3.0 port or don't read SD media as fast. Basically if you want the speed of the Pyra to copy over media you're paying over $600 for one loaded with a mechanical drive.

For media dumps like that, I personally would use a SATA port. That's yet another adapter on the Pyra (basically, you stick the adapter into the not-really USB 3.0A port an get native SATA) and a USB 2.0 port just for power, but it should give you the fastest speed possible on whatever drive you use. But maybe I'm just crazy and the speed restrictions of the SD cards make the USB 3.0 OTG port easier to use, despite being technically slower.

I didn't know those 1TB SD dumpers are this expensive. It almost makes more sense to just buy 2 512GB SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SD cards for 350€ each.

Well, I have two SSD drives right now, the first one is a mSATA in a tiny case that only has a USB3 port and the other SSD I have is in my notebook, a full 2.5 inch drive. If the Pyra gets a usable video editing program on it I'll sell my notebook on the road and get an external case for the SSD. If I can find a external case that has both USB3 and eSATA after I sell my notebook then I could use the SATA on the Pyra but the odds of that are pretty slim.

your aspirations are unique

Not really - these sort of portable media dumps have been around for yonks in photographic circles. It's just another thing the Pyra will also be able to do thanks to its connectivity, and it'll even be able to develop RAW files and crop/retouch photos in the field, thanks to its display and battery.

Back