Pandora Tincs - Multiplayer Shooter For Pandora (video)

[/quote]
The Colt Revolving Sword-Rifle? :D
[/quote]

Ha, that was totally my main reference gun :p

Last edited by a moderator:
and now this game is totally ruined

i dont know what steampunk is exactly, however googled it and from some of these renders, its quite bad

i dont mind the cartoony guns etc, but as soon as a steampunk theme is taking (remember this is meant to be its own not steampunk game)

and then vehicles, vehicles dont belong in FPS, look at WAW compared to MW
UT to MW, honestly infinityward got it spot on, keep it simple, allow for close combat and far combat in the same map, and finally give some Z axis access
however i personally think they didnt maximise on this

you cant get an advantage on your opponent in WAW, the majority of it is flat

the maps made cod4, and next to that was the controls, unlike all the other fiddly controls, which had the gun pouncing up and down as you moved, just did not feel right

so my tips are

start designing maps now
and get the controls hammered from day one

I must disagree, I think the steampunk theme would be awesome. There are too many Cod and UT style first person shooters out there right now. While steampunk isn't 100% original, at least its different. If a "proven concept" were what we were after here, TINCS would have taken a WWII theme and we'd all be running around with M1-Garandes and the like. I'm digging the creativity taking place on this project. Just an opinion.

steampunkLaptop2.jpg

That's a pretty decent example.

I know this Laptop, very good example of Steampunk. I've seen a Video where the guy starts the Laptop by turning the key. :D
Well, There are another interesting "Steampunk" Devices and if you want to see an entire Movie full of Steampunk just watch "Wild Wild West". In the Musikvideo there is also an interesing Steam-powered Minigun:
CODE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEaX4ApC_EU (starts 4:45)

EMCP. I hate COD4. It's the most un-original shooter ever.

I never said we were definitely having vehicles. I was just explaining how far away bots are from my mind at the moment. I think vehicles would be very hard to balance and it will depend on game play style we chose.

I can't stress enough that nothing you see here is final, the art style is far from final I'm still waiting on models from a few guys before we can put up a poll for the art style.

'Mithrildor' said:
I vote for Steampunk. But only if there will be on level in a huge steam powered airship
A little bit brainstorming can't hurt. Good Idea with the Airship, you could do this as Level Architecture, no need for "real" vehicles". :)
I had the Idea to name the Game "SteamGunners"...but I've found out, this Game already exists :lol:

I'm happy, whatever TINCS will be, as long as it is not only plain deathmatch and as long it has some kind of Single Player :)

I think steampunk is the way to go. Im not really a huge fan of the style, but its rarely done, and allows for very interesting and stylized designs. As for gameplay, Im hoping for something closer to the Halo series then UT. UT is too damn fast paced for a handheld console. It's meant to be played on a mouse and keyboard, which allows for much more precise control over movement then a gamepad does. Halo on the other hand is much slower paced, and designed to be played on a gamepad. I know not everyone likes the Halo games, but one reason they were so popular is they had perfect controls for a console game. I think we need to emulate that as much as possible. (and remake Blood gulch and Lockout maps with a steampunk twist :p)

Also, how about naming it SteamFortress?

'Butterman' said:
EMCP. I hate COD4. It's the most un-original shooter ever.

I never said we were definitely having vehicles. I was just explaining how far away bots are from my mind at the moment. I think vehicles would be very hard to balance and it will depend on game play style we chose.

I can't stress enough that nothing you see here is final, the art style is far from final I'm still waiting on models from a few guys before we can put up a poll for the art style.
im all for steampunk, but chuck something original into it
remember, i highly doubt your going to manage to get the graphics just right, and bright colours jut make it even more diffficult, i still say chuck in black white and red, as the only colours, makes the shadows more shadowy :D

also i respect some people dont like cod4, and ill admit theres absolutely nothing original in the game,
but what they did do was create one awesome game, the stripped the fps back to what it was, and didnt have all the crap vehicles etc which ruin game play, the brought the back to basic fps to the next gen.

also cod4 was one of my first ever first gen game, and so thats probably why i liked it so much, it still kicks waws ass

i really dont want another ww game, we have enough.
but look at all the other games, take blacksite for example, the controls are shit

also if you look at a few of the quake mods, youll see they are clumsily controls, guys are flying everywhere etc

UT is shit, and Halo's worse
halo is just another fps, atleast cod4 went against the views of the masses and delivered what they thought were better and looks at how will theyre doing

the only thing that sold halo was the label exclusive

Haha

Tincs (pronounced Tinks), like tinkers that tinker with metal. Similar to steampunkish stuff :p

steampunk is what happens when people master the turing machine in the victorian era

The only thing that sold Halo (even in bloody Japan, hell it introduced shooters to Japan), is the fact that it was the first console FPS that didn't suck. It's like this situation with RTS and console. I remember 10 years ago. People laughing at FPS on console. I spent hours with those same people playing Halo on the first Xbox two years later.

UT 04 has to be one of the best multiplayer games of this decade too. Who didn't spend LAN party after LAN party on some of those huge maps?

SteamFortress is awesome. It would be an awesome game too :D.

Quick Update: I'm releasing the source (along with an implementation in the form of a new version of the TINCS Model Viewer) of my JModel format tonight (The loader and how-to draw) I've just got it running real quick using vertex arrays. So it's Pandora compatible. I'm just going to do some comments now.

Hopefully this will be useful for somebody.

Hey guys :).

I know butterbutt here from some previous failed projects :p, but i thought i would lend a hand with what little free time i have :).

I made a page on this projects site, and ill be updating it with my concept work and various ramblings as opposed to just having it here scattered through the thread.
CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/muzzes_concept_page

I like the idea of mafia more than i like steam punk, so what im thinking is a stylized sort of mafia with some blade runner influence. You can read about what im thinking in full on that page.

I personally would hate to see another fucking steampunk project... It is seriously the current flavor of the entertainment industry, there are numerous steampunk movies coming out soon, as well as tons of steampunk games, and hell cg society just held a steampunk contest with $200,000 in prizes. So guys do you really want to see some copypasta in low poly hand held format; or would you rather make something truly badass?

What is the point of indy if you don't take risks!!!

EDIT: why wont the link work?

I vote steampunk.

For anyone who doesn't know what it is, it's best described as a fantasy of modern technology implemented with Victorian-era methods, with steam often used instead of electricity/petroleum/etc. It involves Victorian-era styles and lots of brass.

I think it's pretty cool :)

Back