Pandora Tincs - Multiplayer Shooter For Pandora (video)

'retort' said:
'giovanni' said:
@ Muzz
[If you have enough time]
I (I would never ask something that's only for me, I think it can be useful for all the modeler and artists) would like to have a rigged arm to use it in my models and make a complete animation (it's strange to see weapons that shoot floating in the air).
Maybe we can simply animate the armature to make it compatible with more characters....
I don't know if I can obtain a good result but maybe another animator can....

Thank you

P.S: I tried to make it by myself... But I suck and I don't really know how will look the character...
i should have a test gun modeled and textured by the weekend, i can attach a basic arm to it, but really, does it need to be animated? most games just have the gun/arm constrained to the crosshair. i guess theres a little animation between weapon changes, and when the weapon is idling.

but yeh, i can give rigging in blender a try. i think i'll rigg/skin it in max, and export bones as objects (as a guide in blender). how good are the snaps in blender?

butterman, i'll be making bumpmaps with every diffuse (even if we can't use it at this stage) but is there a point in making specular maps? or even environment/reflection maps???

and last but not least, anyone know much about creative commons for open source games? specifically, IP on art content? i'd like my art/design to be exclusive to TINCS, but still legally available to the community. i don't want my maps being exported out to UT and sold, etc.

anyway, back to work/RL.

Specular maps are being supported. If you release your art with the GPL license, I think that stops it being used commercially but allows it to be used as long as the license is included.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that provideing a standard rigged arm to the modelers and let them animate every single weapon is the best thing.
To elude the differences beetween the various animations Butterman can add a standard function to the program itself that simulates movement like breathing or walking for every model.

@ retort

I think that if you want that your model can be used only with TINCS you only have to write it down on a .txt file in the zipped directory where are all the other files.

'Butterman' said:
'retort' said:
and last but not least, anyone know much about creative commons for open source games? specifically, IP on art content? i'd like my art/design to be exclusive to TINCS, but still legally available to the community. i don't want my maps being exported out to UT and sold, etc.

anyway, back to work/RL.
If you release your art with the GPL license, I think that stops it being used commercially but allows it to be used as long as the license is included.

The GPL doesn't stop anyone from selling the whole game. They just have to provide the source code. How it applies to the art in the game is a very good question... I'd presume that it doesn't. It's made for programs and doesn't make much sense for art as far as I remember it. (To lazy to look at it...) The problem is not just art but data files in general. Maps, music, images, movies... I'd guess that the GPL grants you the right to use the art as part of the program/game but not separately from it. IANAL, though.
I don't see anything wrong with licensing your stuff under a CC license. They are very simple to understand so simply pick the one that applies to what you want to allow.

Im starting to write out the art style in a properly digestible way.

CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/art_design_document_v1?r=2

Its open to discussion.

Muzz, we have never voted to go for cyberpunk. We just chose for art style #2 , which is a quite realistic, dark and 'used' scheme.

We have never chosen for cyberpunk. We can still do syberpunk vs Steampunk if we like.

DUDE! What the hell do you think art style is?

The pitch that was voted in was clearly cyberpunk, there was no attempt at deception. There is no way it could be interpreted otherwise if you look at it logically.

Just because you want steam punk that fucking badly doesnt mean that we have to follow your desires against a majority fucking vote.

Also if you are going to make an edit to a page please proof read it before hitting publish.

We have voted for cyberpunk.
We had a deadline we should try not to return on the argument...

These pictures show a very intresting atmosphere... But i think it will be very difficult to get such a detailed ambient...
How can we organize the work?

I mean for the various buildings, set pieces, etc.

'Muzz' said:

The pitch that was voted in was clearly cyberpunk, there was no attempt at deception. There is no way it could be interpreted otherwise if you look at it logically.

Just because you want steam punk that fucking badly doesnt mean that we have to follow your desires against a majority fucking vote.

Also if you are going to make an edit to a page please proof read it before hitting publish.
calm down, jesus h.

Yeah i agree it will be a difficult atmosphere to create, but most of it consists of a bit of clutter, and mostly of color work. Do you think that it is an atmosphere you would like to aim for though?

I think im going to try and make a small alley scene to try and get across the atmosphere with the limitations that we have.

Tbh i'm not sure yet about how we are going to divide work up yet. In my experiences on working on projects on the web is that it is best to have 2 artists relying on each other when they arent working full time for this.

Poisoned v, sorry :/. I tend to be a bit off an arrogant asshole sometimes.

Yeah, I know the 'arrogant asshole' feeling all too well as I'm sure you know.
Anyway, the jottit is really cluttered. it should get a full wiki or something. i like docuwiki (example here CODE
http://ag2wiki.kallisti.se/doku.php?id=
its the only one i could remember off the top of my head, sort of nsfw)

I really need a .blend file, with two separate meshes (Preferably cubes), one with just a diffuse texture and one with a diffuse + specular texture. The specular texture actually has to make the mesh look different, so you're probably going to have to put a light into the Blender scene. This should be all I need to get my lighting shaders + specular maps working

I've been doing some serious thinkings in the shower. Firstly, I decided that we're putting so much work into this, that it should have a proper windows release too. Not just the crappy ES 2.0 emulation I was planning. But a complete game, mouse-look, everything. Not a port of the Pandora version, but they will both play on the same servers fine.

I also decided that the Model Viewer is going to become a lot more important. Right now, I'm doing all of the new material/model format/shader work in it, so that I can just plop it into TINCS when it looks good and is ready, they both use the same rendering system, totally compatible. I'm going to implement a free-view style camera. Then, the ability to place lights down, so you can look at how our lights work with your mesh and specular map. Finally, the ability to export a map .bin file, so you place the lights/guns/spawn points/objectives down in the map and export that. (map.bin + map.jmdl = finished map).

[troll]
Also, muzz found a great way to help chose a name.
CODE

http://www.norefuge.net/vgng/vgng.html

Right now, I'm thinking Supreme Scorched Earth Party.

Pretty fucking cool right?
[/troll]

'PoisonedV' said:
Yeah, I know the 'arrogant asshole' feeling all too well as I'm sure you know.
Anyway, the jottit is really cluttered. it should get a full wiki or something. i like docuwiki (example here CODE
http://ag2wiki.kallisti.se/doku.php?id=
its the only one i could remember off the top of my head, sort of nsfw)
So, now we know what games you play in your free time? GPS has offered to give us some webspace when we have a name chosen. Hopefully we should be able to get media wiki or whatever on there. But that's up to him.

'Muzz' said:

Calm down. Im not the only one that wants Steampunk vs Cyberpunk.

btw we are misunderstanding each other a bit. Parts of Cyberpunk are indeed chosen. But not Cyberpunk as a whole. Just the dark and used part of cyberpunk. It still allows us to add dudes with steampowered weapons in the game. Because THAT is backstory.

I've been doing some serious thinkings in the shower. Firstly, I decided that we're putting so much work into this, that it should have a proper windows release too. Not just the crappy ES 2.0 emulation I was planning. But a complete game, mouse-look, everything. Not a port of the Pandora version, but they will both play on the same servers fine.

Mouse vs anologue is always a fail. The players who control the game by mouse always win because they can target with more ease

I don't know who's getting everybodys combined knickers in a knot, but remember this is just a base we've chosen, if it starts to evolve into something that nobody likes (and yes, people did like this art style, it had twice the votes of its closest competitor) then, the community has the power of veto.

It's early days, everybody needs to smoke some fucking dope and chill the fuck out.

yeah i should probably just chill down.

I blame it on the combined stress of working while studying full time and trying to get this stuff done as well.

Sorry guys, a project like this where we are too serious isnt fun for any of the parties involved.

'Butterman' said:
I don't know who's getting everybodys combined knickers in a knot, but remember this is just a base we've chosen, if it starts to evolve into something that nobody likes (and yes, people did like this art style, it had twice the votes of its closest competitor) then, the community has the power of veto.

It's early days, everybody needs to smoke some fucking dope and chill the fuck out.
Ok, weve voted for that artstyle indeed. But in that poll I never saw the option Steampunk vs Cyberpunk I wanted to be there.

'Muzz' said:

i think as long as we distance our art style from the much established dystopia mod, i feel comfortable doing the cyberpunk style.

reading your art deign doc v1, i'm still a little hazy on your desired atmosphere.

from the images, i'm getting a "the darkness" feel for your environments, all night time. shall i set my swatches to navy, brown and grey?

i think the "just walk" render had the best impact on me. the handling/control of daylight with the contrast of the shadows would be a marvel to capture in a level.

that being said, is TINCS going to only revolve around alleyways?

Mith: You know, there were calls for art pitches, if you wanted it you should have wrote it.

retort: Your right, most of my images were of night time and in alleyways... ill go look for some more ones in the daylight and not in alley ways. Sometimes one can get stuck looking in one direction and not even notice that they are doing it.

I guess that "just walk" one is what i want to aim for for daylight stuff as well. My ideas are still fluid on the subject, so if you could throw in some ideas go for it.

'Mithrildor' said:
'Butterman' said:

Ok, weve voted for that artstyle indeed. But in that poll I never saw the option Steampunk vs Cyberpunk I wanted to be there.

Well. You should have made an art style pitch then and forwarded it to me, as far as I saw, all you had made was a backstory idea.

The art style stuff was mixed up, this time, everything will be much more standardized.

That's why I said we can not choose an Art-Style with a Backworld attached.

Art Style is how it looks.
Game Style is how it plays and
Backstory defines the World.

Some choose this "Artstyle" because they liked the look, some because they liked the Story.

And if we have choosen an art Style (dark, moody, brutal and kinda claustophobic, LIKE Cyberpunk) that doesn't mean that we can't get an other background. Why should a Steampunkworld NOT match the upper description of the Art style?

I'm okay with the Look we've choosen, but not that we voted for Cyberpunk. We would have 3 of the now 6 Backstories that don't match Cyberpunk fully.

Maybe we should make clear what is chosen. Only the Artstyle or also the Background.
And Muzz, DUDE. What the Hell do you think an ARTstyle is? We've not chosen the whole Game, just only how it looks.

George

'Muzz' said:
yeah i should probably just chill down.

I blame it on the combined stress of working while studying full time and trying to get this stuff done as well.

Sorry guys, a project like this where we are too serious isnt fun for any of the parties involved.
Smoke that sensemilia.

I'm not feeling any of these serious vibes. We've got a couple of guys we cant settle, but otherwise, we're sailing full steam ahead.

That said, programming always stresses me out.

Mouse vs anologue is always a fail. The players who control the game by mouse always win because they can target with more ease

That's game balancing, for now, the option will be there.

Back