Pandora Tincs - Multiplayer Shooter For Pandora (video)

Art Style is how it looks.
Game Style is how it plays and
Backstory defines the World.

I personally think that you cannot make an art style detached from the story or vice versa and attempting to do so would just result in two halves that don't match. Therefore i do believe that art style does cover basic story elements, even if it is just time period and themes.

A game is a whole package, and it relies on the dynamics between the elements to make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Butterman' said:
'Mithrildor' said:
'Butterman' said:
I don''t know who''s getting everybodys combined knickers in a knot, but remember this is just a base we''ve chosen, if it starts to evolve into something that nobody likes (and yes, people did like this art style, it had twice the votes of its closest competitor) then, the community has the power of veto.

It''s early days, everybody needs to smoke some fucking dope and chill the fuck out.
Ok, weve voted for that artstyle indeed. But in that poll I never saw the option Steampunk vs Cyberpunk I wanted to be there.

Well. You should have made an art style pitch then and forwarded it to me, as far as I saw, all you had made was a backstory idea.

The art style stuff was mixed up, this time, everything will be much more standardized.

I can't make drawings, I cant help that.

But can we still cose in the backstory poll to go more to the cyberpunk vs Steampunk direction ,but with still cyberpunk as the most important one?

Edit: A made 2 pages about music:

1. How we can handle music: http://tincs.jottit.com/radio
and
2. What music we could use: http://tincs.jottit.com/the_ink_spots_music

If you make a cyberpunk vs steampunk backstory, and it gets voted in. Then the art style is going to have to work to match it, that will probably mean steampunk art, but it will be in line with the art style. The steampunk stuff won't be a familiar brass/copper color for example, it may be made of brass/copper but it will have obvious wearing, rust and discoloration. That's just a possible example of how they would mix with each other.

'Butterman' said:
If you make a cyberpunk vs steampunk backstory, and it gets voted in. Then the art style is going to have to work to match it, that will probably mean steampunk art, but it will be in line with the art style. The steampunk stuff won't be a familiar brass/copper color for example, it may be made of brass/copper but it will have obvious wearing, rust and discoloration. That's just a possible example of how they would mix with each other.
That would be just awesome.

Also, with your radio idea.

The problem with a radio would be that, the pace of a first person shooter is too fast to allow the player to be even slightly distracted by a radio. Fallout 3, is a RPG, with about 1/4 of the pace of most multiplayer FPS. We will probably have an in-game MP3 player. But you've gotta see that most FPS players, listen to dance or similarly paced music while they play, dance is very repetitive, not giving the player anything to think about, but helping him keep his pace. (For me, it's drum'n'bass during Left4Dead, dance/drum'n'bass mixes during TF2 and CSS).

~Jack

Thats why I thought about making it possible to turn the radio on and off and the possibility of including your own music.

~Mithrildor

Btw, I dont get distracted by fallout's music.

EDIT: Btw Fallout 3 made me loving The Ink Spots.

iqg8cl.png

Just finished my first shader. It's computing light per-vertex, like the fixed function model and I'm adding a small ambient value on, then I'm multiplying it by the texture diffuse color. In the picture, the light is under the green cube.

Don't believe I hadn't got into shaders before, these things are so awesome.

My to-do list is like this:

- Make sure normals are working properly (I'm not sure if that light is working properly and the maths is perfect)

- Get to work on learning how to do per-pixel stuff. I don't actually know the math for per-pixel stuff, per-vertex was easy because I know the calculations already. (Well, I can't see how anybody can find working out the cosine between the normalized normal + light direction hard)

- Wait on that specular + diffuse texture cube stuff so I can get specular working

Is that Visual Studio under the Administrator account?

:blink:

That just...

And is that also Silverlight in your dock?

edit: thread topic? Oh, right. I think if you use Alt+PrintScn instead of just Printscn, it will do just one window, so people won't get sidetracked criticizing your choice of IDE and user account and dock and installed applications.

'Muzz' said:

Art Style is how it looks.
Game Style is how it plays and
Backstory defines the World.
I personally think that you cannot make an art style detached from the story or vice versa and attempting to do so would just result in two halves that don't match. Therefore i do believe that art style does cover basic story elements, even if it is just time period and themes.

A game is a whole package, and it relies on the dynamics between the elements to make it work.

Well, than we should have voted that way. But do you realy think you can't do a dark, moody and brutal fantasy game? And what is film noir then? Cyberpunk? Cause it has all your Artstyle was about (which I voted for. As the Art Style.)

About the Radio Idea, well. Not for a shooter really. Ant the chosen Music, well, doesn't match cyberpunk at all. Think the Music should be a Elektro/Rock mix with exotic instruments in it, to give it a more international feel. Like Gypsy guitars, Japanes Kotos and stuff. Will build a little Piece and put it up on the Jottit site.

George

Maybe a little off-topic... But I think it can be useful for testing...

I completed my new gun "Punch": (I strongly hope it fits in the style

Render1.jpg

Now it's a basic model+texture. I'll add Normal Map(or Bump, if I wont be able to get more good in Normal mapping), Specular Map, and animation (but that later)...

Other (bad) renderings:

http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Render2.jpg
http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Render3.jpg

The .blend file (with the texture packed in it):

http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Punch.blend

And the texture itself:

http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Punch.png

P.S: I know that the texture has a lot of free withe space but i wanted mantein a square aspect ratio.
P.P.S: To make the texture I used GIMP... Notthing special, but it can be useful if we want to make a "pure" open project.

That's pretty cool giovanni, I'll see about running it in the game.

By the way.

I really need a .blend file, with two separate meshes (Preferably cubes), one with just a diffuse texture and one with a diffuse + specular texture. The specular texture actually has to make the mesh look different, so you're probably going to have to put a light into the Blender scene. This should be all I need to get my lighting shaders + specular maps working

'lulzfish' said:
Is that Visual Studio under the Administrator account?

:blink:

That just...

And is that also Silverlight in your dock?

edit: thread topic? Oh, right. I think if you use Alt+PrintScn instead of just Printscn, it will do just one window, so people won't get sidetracked criticizing your choice of IDE and user account and dock and installed applications.
My shortcut runs it as administrator, I had a few problems a while back. It's not silverlight, i just needed something cool to link my music folder to.

I use rocket dock. I don't run a administrator account, pish.

Turns out I was doing my normals completely wrong before.

Sorted it out and now we have the serious sex.

2bw8pk.png

The camera is the light. It's great watching the cubes rotate and the light effect them.

I tried it on your model Giovanni, I can't get a good screen shot from it. I'll have another look later.

Thank you very much Butterman!
I'll see what I can do for these cubes after dinner... I never used specular maps in blender but I should get them working...

2ykba05.png

Just for you giovanni :D

The normals on the top of the gun aren't exporting correctly, I can see they're inside out in Blender.

Again, the camera is the light.

'Butterman' said:

The camera is the light. It's great watching the cubes rotate and the light effect them.

the smoothing groups on that cube look borked - you get too much luma at the edges and continuous shading across. IOW, the cube mesh shares vertices across sides where it shouldnt - check you exporter. potentially your artist too : )

I thought I have solved the problem with the normals... They look good on my PC... I will invert them and send you the model tomorrow because now my father "has got the monopoly of the only connected PC" we have and I wrenched with the nails this moment to send you the cubes you need.

http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Cubes2.zip

They have a number on each face with the corrisponnding number of speculative points.

P.S: Look at the bottom of the gun I put a subliminal message (I don't remember what i wrote)...

'darkblu' said:
'Butterman' said:

the smoothing groups on that cube look borked - you get too much luma at the edges and continuous shading across. IOW, the cube mesh shares vertices across sides where it shouldnt - check you exporter. potentially your artist too : )
Taking a look at the exported model, everything is in perfect order.

'giovanni' said:
I thought I have solved the problem with the normals... They look good on my PC... I will invert them and send you the model tomorrow because now my father "has got the monopoly of the only connected PC" we have and I wrenched with the nails this moment to send you the cubes you need.

http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Cubes2.zip

They have a number on each face with the corrisponnding number of speculative points.

P.S: Look at the bottom of the gun I put a subliminal message (I don't remember what i wrote)...

"Hellollo from ED" :p

Thanks man, great help!

Giovanni, it's not working, for some reason, textures have to be visible in the 3D mode, or I can't get at the filename from the export script. (Yes, I'm in texture mode and I can see the textures when I render the scene), I'm not sure what has to be done to set up the texture so it's visible in the 3D view and the texture filename becomes visible for the script. It's somthing to do with the way you link the texture to the mesh.

I've thought up a naughty hack to get specular maps working without fucking around. It involves the artist taking a look in the model file, setting the type of the material he wants to include a specular map to "3" then just putting a specular map texture filename right after the diffuse texture.

'Butterman' said:
Taking a look at the exported model, everything is in perfect order.

as in "24 vertices containing 6 unique normals orthogonal to the respective sides"?

Back