Tizen, Sailfish, Firefox OS, Ubuntu....... thoughts and/or opinions?

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
With the mobile OS industry about to be saturated with new players I wanted to get the communities thoughts about it. Most of them boast Android compatibility but I have my eye on Ubuntu mobile, which is also built around Android. The vids of the OS running on a G-Nex particularly resonate with me since that's my current phone. Now, there's others such as Blackberry 10, Mer and Bada as well so what do you guys think?

It is not clear that the community wants a "mobile phone OS" on a Pandora2.

So far, none of the new linux-based mobile OSs you mentioned seem to have a community behind them porting and maintaining much of the full GNU/Linux software stack. Ubuntu Mobile has stopped development in 2009 and the successor Ubuntu for Phones was announced on January 2, 2013 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Mobile http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Phone Ubuntu for Phones can use an Android kernel.

Do we want a phone OS? Slackware, Debian for arm, Angstrom and perhaps Ubuntu for arm can offer us the Pandora1 desktop experience. Whether Ubuntu for Phones "desktop mode" delivers the full GNU/Linux desktop remains to be seen.

It is not clear that the community wants a "mobile phone OS" on a Pandora2.
Where was the reference to the Pandora 2? This is in the Offtopic forum.
In all honesty, I'm thinking going back to a "regular" (ie, non-"smart") phone, and having a nice decent battery life. I don't do squat app-wise on it anyway. The only thing I use my phone for is calls, text and SatNav - but I can always get a satnav device - or even just keep my current phone as a satnav/emergancy phone

Tizen is not good with battery life. As all apps are based on HTML5, they're not optimized and wasting power.

I haven't had much time lately to follow the mobile OS scene, but when the most recent Ubuntu effort came to my attention, I have to admit, I started salivating.  I've been craving a phone that runs *real* linux, without having to root or otherwise void the warranty, for years, only to be disappointed time and again.  Openmoko, the various strains of maemo/meego/mer/tizen/whatever-they're-calling-it-these-days, Android, -- everything that's come to market has let me down horribly - even my beloved n900, if only because Nokia dropped it like a faulty heatsink.  I'm curious to see if they get any market traction in the next 12 months.  If this gets released on a phone, I'll probably take the plunge.

And most of those HTML5 apps are probably spending most of their time sitting around waiting for user input. The overall power consumption for these probably won't be problematic for that reason.

Python apps suffer the same drawback in principle - Gpodder for e.g. is bog slow starting playback of a downloaded file, but most of its time it is sitting around awaiting input.

EDIT: Zeit.de (german) covers the new OSes briefly here http://www.zeit.de/digital/mobil/2013-01/ubuntu-tizen-firefox-os

Last edited by a moderator:
They're all storybookish names I mean :

The Firefox

Tizen : the warlord

Sailfish of the North Atlantic

Ubuntu , humpurphia turn to a pi , pie now !

Back