Tokyo Game Show 2015

I tried Eve Valkyrie today with the latest iteration of the Oculus Rift, and it was VERY impressive. That's a big change of dimension compared to staring at a screen. It's not so much the feeling of 3 dimensions (actually I don't really feel that kind of illusion when I use VR), but the fact that your head can move freely and make you discover other parts around you is really, really exciting, and just a perfect fit for cockpit games. 

Yesterday I tried the Playstation VR and while it was better than I expected (latency is gone now, and the field of vision is kind of decent), the resolution is still too low to make for really great experiences. But seriously, it's not bad for PS4 owners who want VR on the cheap. It's not going to be completely horrible. 

GearVR, on the other hand, was disappointing. Technically it's not bad at all, but the resolution is low as well, and obviously phones are too damn slow to do any kind of great 3D at all. 

And now I have a lot more info about the one thing I was interested in.  I didn't care as much about specs and numbers as I did about the experience.  Thanks.

Fusionpower i dont know what you are talking about. Thexbox360  in japan had  many love sims actually and some rated mature. Again you comment on something you dont know.

I a gree that nobody knows for sure. At least MS made something very wrong compared to Sony if they have such a hard stand in Japan. Of course it's not only that kind of genre, I  guess the other way round is also a reason: japanese audience is not western audience. And stuff like FPS Shooters may not be that popular in asia where XBox always had a good bunch of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Eve Valkyrie today with the latest iteration of the Oculus Rift, and it was VERY impressive. That's a big change of dimension compared to staring at a screen. It's not so much the feeling of 3 dimensions (actually I don't really feel that kind of illusion when I use VR), but the fact that your head can move freely and make you discover other parts around you is really, really exciting, and just a perfect fit for cockpit games. Yesterday I tried the Playstation VR and while it was better than I expected (latency is gone now, and the field of vision is kind of decent), the resolution is still too low to make for really great experiences. But seriously, it's not bad for PS4 owners who want VR on the cheap. It's not going to be completely horrible. GearVR, on the other hand, was disappointing. Technically it's not bad at all, but the resolution is low as well, and obviously phones are too damn slow to do any kind of great 3D at all. 

And now I have a lot more info about the one thing I was interested in.  I didn't care as much about specs and numbers as I did about the experience.  Thanks.
By the way I was with a couple of my friends there and one of them felt nauseous very quickly with the Playstation VR (but not with the Oculus). I'm not sure why I did not, but maybe the framerate and slight latency that the PS VR may have versus the OR may impact some folks. So, YMMV as we say,

Anyway I will write something longer for Pandoralive, but in a few bullet points:

• Mobile games are still growing (it may be a bubble as well, but it has not peaked yet).
  • Most of the mobile games were just downright horrible. I'd need to be tortured to spend any time on them.
  • Microsoft was not there and there was nothing shown running on the Xboxone.
  • No WiiU titles either, but hey, newsflash, the WiiU is pretty much dead.
  • Sony is the only one left and they were still promoting the Vita. This is unexpected as I thought they would let it die.
  • Not sure how big of a push they want to make with VR but they had a good showing of new titles for that. Note that some were obviously just VR experiments and did not feel like very polished games. We'll probably need to wait to get something really good.
  • Strigoi will be happy to know they had a Hatsune Mike VR title when you can watch her dance and move your Playstation Move along with her in the rythm.
  • Konami is dead: they were showing a bit of Winning Eleven, MGS5 and MGO as it just came out, and that's it.
  • Sega had nothing much to show this year either.
  • Namco Bandai, Meh as well.
  • Square Enix had nothing worth talking about either.
  • Capcom had nothing interesting. Well Gyakuten Saiban 6, but that's just a sequel.
  • I went through the indies booths and there was nothing really outstanding there (or titles already released). this time they were in a separate Hall and far away from the main exhibit.
  • Oculus was great, but I could not test the specific controllers they made for it. HTC Vive was not there, which is a shame but not surprising in a console-only country.
  • Alienware was not there either, while last year they were showing their Alpha model. Maybe they won't sell it in Japan.
  • The only game standing out at the show was Star Wars Battlefront with the Hoth battle: this looked really great and fun to play.
  • Google was showing their apple-like Nexus Android TV thing - making it possible to play Android games on the TV screen as well. Of course, games were horrible, it's Android after all.
  • Trico was not shown (last guardian if you prefer) apart from an interactive projection with the big Dog/Bird.
So it's a year "without", I can't say there were many games I was looking forward to, and way too much mobile-only crap. VR is going to be exciting, but expensive so I don't know how many will actually jump ship when it comes around. Bigger titles/releases are probably due for 2016-2017 so that would explain why this year's showing was pretty weak.

Back