Touch panel issue

Hi

I have the exact same problem

received September 23 1Ghz edition

I could be wrong but i think that the two layers of the touch panel have a bigger gap on the right side of the screen. When you then press down there, the touch panel connects a bit more to the left.

Okay, this is getting weirder and weirder. Both the chinese company and GC tested them. The chinese company even showed us some videos of their test.

Sure, it could be one or two will still act up after testing, but so far it seems to be all of them, which is something really really weird...

We'll try to figure out what could cause that as soon as possible, if you find any more clues, let me know.

Flash card ?

Are the internet updates done after factory flash ?

Storage ?

Cold, heat, pressure ?

LCD cable ?

Problem on mobo ? Did you test a bad screen on a known to be 100% ok mobo ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Flash card ?

Are the internet updates done after factory flash ?
Happen low-level even without any OS installed (we've got our testing cards)

Storage ?

Cold, heat, pressure ?
Storage, cold and heat is unlikely.

it's not too cold or hot right now in Germany or China, and even if then it would only apply to a few screens but not all of them at once.

Pressure might be an issue, maybe it happens when they're put into the lid, but that would have to be a permanent damage, as I disassembled one already. 

LCD cable ?
Doubt it, not suddenly with 60 units when both the LCD Cable and motherboards are from the same batch. 

Problem on mobo ? Did you test a bad screen on a known to be 100% ok mobo ?
We'll be testing all combinations of that today, but as both LCD Cables and motherboards are from a batch which had working LCDs, it sounds very unlikely to me.

Sounds like a real mystery.

A few things to consider :

Does the touch screen testing at GC happen with fully assembled units?

Has this exact model of screen been used before without problems?

Do you have any of these screens that has not been used in assembly yet? Can these screens be tested for issues?

Has the dimension of the touch layer / screen changed even slightly? It could be that even with a tiny increase in touch area (or possibly screen thickness) there could be a problem with unwanted pressure from the bezel.

With the 8 units you have that are showing problems, does the problem vary much between them in terms of how severe the problem is? 

EDIT : Is it possible to remove a screen from one of the 8 units and then test it in isolation?

Good luck.

Hi

I think it could be linked to the audio speakers

because initially there was no problem

then appeared on the right as an imprint of a finger

now expanded always on the right

I have this problem only link on the right for now

Hi,

I have the very same problem, but only on te righ-hand side of the screen. I can't get the mousepointer closer than approximately 15mm from the side. Top, bottom and left-hand side work fine.

The Pandora is a 1GHz model, ordered just after the email ED sent out.

Okay, I found out what breaks them and why they passed the test.

The touchscreen works completely fine until you move it along the right side.

After that, it completely discalibrates and will never work again (not even after a reboot or when you attach it to a different unit).

I guess I have to replace all the touchscreens for the Pandoras I sent out - I'm really sorry about that!

hum that doesnt sound good for your pocket :( beside, that's where the scroll bars are, so well every one using these display will have the issues.

Yep, we need to find out as soon as possible what causes this and how to prevent it.

At least we have a clue now...

Yes! This is exactly what's happening on my pandora. To recalibrate the pointer, I end up having to click just left of the actual cursor on the calibration screen. But of course....this doesn't last too long :(

So what happens now ED? 

Edit: Just saw your last post. I guess we wait till you find out how to prevent the issue, then send them back? Or do we send them back now?

It's very strange indeed. I didn't even consider it possible. I should have noted I first noticed when I was scrolling in Firefox.

I'm very thankful the problem has been found on such a short notice.

Will we have to send our Pandora's back? I've gotten rather fond of mine.

Don't send them back yet, as we first need to find a solution for them, especially as the remaining 400 LCDs probably have the same problem.

Either we need to change the voltage or the manufacturing company needs to replace these touchscreens, but it will take a bit to figure out how exactly to handle it.

You can use them for gaming until then and we'll replace them when we got 100% working screens.

I've also still got a lot of new displays here from the last batch which simply haven't been tested, so we'll have replacement ones here in 1 - 2 weeks.

We'll fix these things :)

Does this happen even if the screen is not in the case?

Back