Translating Pandora Interface.

Xmoon said:
Can Pandora GUI be translated?
Do you mean "can it be ported to the GP2X". or

Can I modify the Pandora's UI so that the text is in French/Spanish/Klingon/etc?

The answer to both questions is "yes, if you know how" (it's open source, so anything's possible) - although the "simple" GUI is already a port of a GP2X app, so you wouldn't be gaining much! (I have no idea if you'd be able to run the Matchbox based UI - that's mostly down to the specs of the device and how intensive the code is)

If you were asking the 2nd question, you're in the wrong forum :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to assume this is in the wrong forum, again. I'll move to somewhere more appropriate.

Ok but if you're not a programmer how can you translate (change of language) it?

Maybe you just have to change the buttons' texts in the source code....

P.S: I'm very intrested in this possibility...

giovanni said:
Ok but if you're not a programmer how can you translate (change of language) it?

Maybe you just have to change the buttons' texts in the source code....

P.S: I'm very intrested in this possibility...
Generally speaking, you would provide translations per application. One of the standard ways of doing string translation (where string is an array of characters) on Linux is through gettext, i.e. .mo and .po files. Most standard linux utilities and programs should already have localization support (but might need to be rebuilt to include different translations). For programs written exclusively for the Pandora you might have to ask the developers whether gettext is used and what the steps to providing translations might be. For a quick overview, see Internationalisation & Localisation. There is a wealth of information out there though ;)

To give a trivial example of translating program names on the desktop: Suppose you have a window manager that has a desktop (like matchbox, I think). Now, to display different programs as names and icons, you have .desktop files, in which you would see lines like:

CODE
Name=Trash
Name[sv]=Papperskorg

Simply add Name[<standard language abbreviation>]= to have it displayed in your favourite language.

Also see the Gentoo Linux Localization Guide, it has quite a good explanation for generating locales for glibc (amongst others).

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Vladimir...
I will understand better your words when I have these files in my hands.
For now thnk you very much! :)

Back