Trap75, Jezzball-like Game For Gp2x

Alex.

Retired
~ Updated May 9th ~

Trap75 is a game much like Jezzball, where you need to cover at least 75% of each level`s space without getting your lines hit by the balls. Top-3 hiscore table, nice smooth graphics, and best of all incredibly addicting :)

trap75_2.png
trap75_1.png

Download from Gp2X Archive

Read the readme for controls. Have fun, and don`t forget to share your feedback. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great little game, I managed to get to level 6 on my first attempt! :)

I've been playing this even before the news post was even up. :lol:

I like it, and I also like Jezzball. The glowing balls are a nice touch.

My only comment is that the Start button can be accidentally pressed and would immediately end the game. A confirmation screen would be good. (Good thing the current high score would still be registered.)

Thanks for another great game. :)

Hi,

Thank you very much Alex for another great game :) I used to play something similar a lot on Windows 3.11 as a kid :)

Some ideas though:

No pause menu: I wanted to scratch my nose so I hit the start button, it brings me back to the main menu. I hit start again, thinking it would bring me back where I left the game, but no, I had to start all over again...

I don't like the automatic "lives=level+1" system: I'd prefer a set number of lives at the beginning + bonus lives in game (a live appears on the screen for a very short period of time and you have to touch it with your wall), but nothing automatic. I think it would make the gaming experience more intense, IMHO :)

Anyway, bye and thanks again for this new game :)

Magic Sam

Hi guys, thanks for your comments :) There`s an update waiting for approval which removes the sound of balls colliding and which has quieter sound effects. In the meanwhile you can get the GPE and overwrite the old one from here: artraid.com/alex/gp2x-games/Trap75-gpe.zip

Magic Sam: There`s no pause because I didn`t think it was needed. The game has no time limit and as long as you don`t press any buttons you can wait forever. I like the idea of picking up lives, I`ll add this in a later update, along perhaps with boss balls and other bonuses. Thanks! :)

'Alex.' said:
Magic Sam: There`s no pause because I didn`t think it was needed. The game has no time limit and as long as you don`t press any buttons you can wait forever.
I was actually thinking about a possible time limit :lol: What about adding a time limit mode ? You start the game with a given number of seconds, which quickly decrease, and you earn some more seconds after each level, depending on your cover rate (ex: 75% = +7.5 seconds)

I like the idea of picking up lives, I`ll add this in a later update, along perhaps with boss balls and other bonuses. Thanks! :)

You're welcome :) Boss balls is a great idea too ! There are so many possible bonuses, I can't wait to play future versions of Trap75 !
Keep up the good work :)
Bye, Magic Sam

excellent release! will there be a wiz release too (and also of your other games?) :)

my gp2x doesn't work to well anymore, but my brandnew wiz wont have any issues i hope ;)

Yes there definitely will be, but I`d like to see how everything behaves on the newest Wiz firmware before I upload anything to the archive. The firmware I have installed is the old 0.17, Orkie said a newer one is around the corner.

Nice work, Alex!

The only problem with lack of pause right now, as I see it, is that you could accidentally hit the trigger when you go to pick up the game again, or when you put down your 2x, etc. That's quite the edge case, however.

'Gruntfuggly' said:
Cool - looks like Jezball was based on Qix (old games never die!)...
I just checked out a video of Qix on Youtube, and I remember playing a similar DOS game when I was little, only instead of an abstract creature you had to isolate bugs, long green worms, and other critters. I think it was called "Virus", though I must be wrong since I`ve been searching for it for years without any luck...

There`s an updated version of Trap up on the archive, it does away with the sound of two balls colliding. It makes a big difference on the later levels. :D Last night I reached level 21, current hiscore is 130656!

Magic Sam said:
I don't like the automatic "lives=level+1" system: I'd prefer a set number of lives at the beginning + bonus lives in game (a live appears on the screen for a very short period of time and you have to touch it with your wall), but nothing automatic. I think it would make the gaming experience more intense, IMHO :)
Yes, we need that, I got to level 20 on my first try(117866), but it was late and I wanted to get some sleep so I had to lose on purpose...

And the boss balls also sounds good!

Thanks for this Alex! ;)

Hey guys, during the board's downtime I updated Trap75.

Download Trap75 update 1.5 from GP2X archive

What's new?
  • hiscore table now holds 6 entries instead of only 3
  • nicer backgrounds
  • you start with 3 lives and get 1 every 5th level
  • every 5th level brings a "boss" ball
  • confirmation screen for quitting the game

And the latest screenshots,

trap75_1.png
trap75_3.png

trap75_4.png

Thanks for playing!