Triple Triad Possible?

Well, certainly possible- It's not a particularly complicated game if I recall correctly (though it's been a while since I played FF8, and longer still since I played TT since I fell waaay behind on keeping my deck up (no more weak/reasonable opponents or forgiving rules at the point I'm now at)) and it doesn't exactly demand super powered 3D graphics acceleration or anything does it ;). The only problem is to find someone who actually cares to port it or write a new version of course.

How exactly does this opensource clone work though? Is it just a triple triad board and decks or is there something else to it?

I barely played FF8 but I think the concept of this card game was quite interesting... together with neat graphics it would surely be cool !

hmm. I've been looking for something i could do as a first project, i'll give it a shot. I wrote a tripple triad game using delphi and dx about 3 years ago so I think i'll start there and work up.

The real bugger though is the decks. Nabbing the card images from the actual game is dodgey ground and stealing decks from other fan implementations is just plain rude. I remember writing a tool to make cards though when I first did this, you selected a card image, a frame and the card stats and it generated the final image and a data file for it. Guess i can make one deck for it and let other people make other decks in whatever fashion they want and have a deck selector in game. Or something. I'll start playing with this now.

hmm. I've been looking for something i could do as a first project, i'll give it a shot. I wrote a tripple triad game using delphi and dx about 3 years ago so I think i'll start there and work up.

The real bugger though is the decks. Nabbing the card images from the actual game is dodgey ground and stealing decks from other fan implementations is just plain rude. I remember writing a tool to make cards though when I first did this, you selected a card image, a frame and the card stats and it generated the final image and a data file for it. Guess i can make one deck for it and let other people make other decks in whatever fashion they want and have a deck selector in game. Or something. I'll start playing with this now.

I think as soon as you manage to implement some more-or-less usable "editor" for cards people will build their own decks and get their own images soon, then they could upload it.... (you know how it ends)

Looking forward to it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved that game! I got all of the good cards (missed some of the lower level cards). Then when I got to the end of the game I turned all of my cards in magic or items because I kept dying. From them I got 100 of quite a lot of good magic, and then junctioned it to my characters, and suddenly I was all-powerful! I would love it if someone made this game possible, especially if it came with the original deck. Maybe you could go as far as to make a 'story mode' where you walk around and challenge NPC's (like you actually do in FF8, or something like pokemon card game).

Triple Triad is a beast of a game and quite simple. Hell, funky spining cards would be the hardest part.

Triple Triad is a beast of a game and quite simple. Hell, funky spining cards would be the hardest part.

My point. You could easily play it on low processor but nevertheless I really imagine it being very cool with some neat graphics... something much better than solitaire ;)... And certainly easier to implement than a WOTC (Wizards of the Coeast) Game like Pokémon or even Magic(!) :)... too bad I can't really program more than a recursive figure in python turtle *eew* :D

My point. You could easily play it on low processor but nevertheless I really imagine it being very cool with some neat graphics... something much better than solitaire ;)... And certainly easier to implement than a WOTC (Wizards of the Coeast) Game like Pokémon or even Magic(!) :)... too bad I can't really program more than a recursive figure in python turtle *eew* :D

yah it wont be hard to write. of course i will get carried away with asthetics like I usually do xD But i have all my old source to work from if i get stuck on something so im not expecting much difficulty here. Nearly finished my SDL layer and I could theoretically start dev of tt now, except the sourceforge CVS is being all gaybar and not letting grab the latest sdl from open2x so i havnt actually got an sdl version i can compile for the gp2x yet -_- working on it

hope you finish at last a beta soon :D

I dont know how long before a beta. I dont like setting deadlines as I only miss them anyway ;) so rather than smashing hopes I feel it being a "nice surprise" instead is a better way to handle things. However, I will try and keep you updated. When its more substantial I will give it it's own WIP thread rather than posting here, but for now...

I finished a new deck creator from scratch today. I scaled down all the original FF8 cards to a suitiable size for the gp2x and using the deck creator I hand entered the stats for all 110 cards. The only stats I havnt saved is the level of the card, currently all the cards read as level 1. I will have to look up a chart to set those properly and the card levels will only be used in a sort of rpg/pokemon type thing where I intendd there to be people you can challenge. Idea is each npc will have a data file saying what level of cards he/she generally plays with, harder players having higher level cards. Also, winning should earn you points which you should be able to spend on cards in a card shop, allowing you to buy all but level 9-10 cards.

But thats pie in the sky atm, first I need the basics of triad working xD

My dev enviorment is now compiling happilly for the gp2x and i've made a start on the basic engine. Still alot of work to go, but it gets fun for me from this point on, all the horriable "grunt" work with setting the data for the cards is out of the way :)

Lastly, for whatever its worth, a look at the deck editor can be seen here:

ttxed screenshot

just to proove i have really been working on this ;) Its very boring looking im sure, but its very easy to use and thats what I really wanted when I had 110 cards to run through :p

a .INI like deck is better, isnt it? or a EXE deck editor, like a simple windows/ linux app

tbh this way is faster to navigate than a dialog box with gadets. left/right arrow cycle cards, up/down arrow changes which stat is highlighted and you can directly edit the value with a keyboard press. Would be slower clicking gadgets, it really would :p

The editor generates .deck files which are binary.

I actually think this editor looks pretty cool....

Just take your time... and keep us updated ;)

I see you have already got great ideas... keep going :)

the hope is you can add your own card decks using the editor yes. I'm writing code with that in mind which is making the framework a little more complex than usual (ie, its modable). If i get around to adding a 2d pokemon-like map you can walk around I will have to design an npc system with that in mind also, so anyone adding cards to the game could say add additional npc's which hold some of their cards for you to win off them (or i could just give in and say all 3rd party cards can be bought from the shop, including the level 10's).

As for current progress, I hardcoded the two player hands for testing (obviously the real thing lets you choose cards out of ones you have availiable) and its happily drawing the game board and player cards. Im just drinking some tea and after I will be adding the selection cursor to allow you to place a card - then its really just a case of implementing game rules which is nothing more than a bunch of if's and switches when you place a card. Screenshots later today, and.. dare i say a demo soon? I dont, just incase there isnt. But dont be surprised if there is xD

Incidently, you can add your own gameboards too as well as custom card decks, should make for a bit of variety.

Awsome! I love that game, and would especially love if you added that npc part, makes it much more interesting.

Thanks for taking on this project!

Back