Triple Triad Possible?

Just a note, but I think you're not getting a lot of responses regarding graphics and stuff due this being posted as "Triple triad Possible?" (note the questionmark), and being posted in "Cool Ideas and other wishes".
I think this subforum is rather ignored by most, has this been on the newspage already? Otherwise you could repost in the news forum, might get some more responses.

hey draken - you're probably right :)

Nope, not on news page yet. I will make a new thread for it and post some news when im more content with the current beta im working on.

The entirty of yesterday was spent in bed with a fever, today i was finally able to eat. A few people left me messages about not being on irc lately - no i havnt suddenly run away from the gp2x dev community, its because i've been ill xD

Still dont have the energy to code (not even the energy to play ragnarok online T_T) but today im much better and hopfully tomorrow will see me properly on the mend.

Not all bad news though, I received a PM from someone offering to touch up my tileset for me :D I've emailed them the png and hopfully this will make everything look a bit nicer - lets me concentrate on the engine more solidly as well :)

Anyway im going back to my blanket, watch this space :)

why don't you enter this in the gp2x-2006 contest? You could possibly win a 4GB SD card + other stuff! And then you would have a nice deadline for yourself to keep you motivated.

well, i haven't been making more of my deck for a while because of school, and life, and such. sorry guys. ill try and do some more monday night.

hope you guys are still at it ;)

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 3 2006 at 10:14 PM said:
why don't you enter this in the gp2x-2006 contest? You could possibly win a 4GB SD card + other stuff! And then you would have a nice deadline for yourself to keep you motivated.
I don't think you're allowed to announce what you're doing for the GP2X-2006 contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
quick update time!

Just quickly letting you know what i've been upto. The engine has had a few mods but nothing special or really worthy of note - a few speed ups in places.

Mostly whilst ill (im much better now btw, still groggy and my sleep patterns are all to cock but at least i can eat without hurling now :p) i was designing and slowly building an editing suite for TTX to make content creation a damn sight easier. I got all my little editors, but they are dodgey quick jobs so i could create stuff to test the engine with. The map editor for example was 320x240, same as a gp2x screen - theres absolutly no good reason for that resolution when im creating content on the pc, all it means is more scrolling and more dev time.

None of editors for anything had a gui, they worked off obscure shortcut combinations and lots of shortcuts were taken when creating them. Certainly couldnt be used by 3rd parties or fans trying to create extra content for the game. Now i've been creating REAL maps of large sizes and whatnot the inadequecy of the content editors became even more painfully obvious.

So, ladies and gentlemen, i present to you the beginings of the TTX Editing Suite:

Screen Shot

warning! Im about to run off to do some important stuff and im being hurried along as we speak, screenshot was thus taken really fast and not edited! It is just a full dump of my desktop rather than just the interesting bits, big picture! (1280x1024) - file size about 260k, anyone still useing 56k modems may want to read a book.

The general idea is that this will be one set of utilities that are self contained in a central app and present easy to use editors for everything. The map editor is brain dead simple and can be completly navigated with a mouse (or optionally using sensical shortcut keys) and anyone should be able to use it. The npc editor will allow you to edit some simple data in english and will generate the ini files for you (you can, of course, still create them in a text editor of your choice). The deck editor will be GUI driven as well.

And yes theres a greyed out script box. Im still not sure, but i seem to be being pushed towards implementing scripting support so I may end up breaking out the old LUA engine. If I do the script editor will be a mini code editor which will check scripts as you're writing them, etc.

Scripting opens up a whole world of possibilities, triggers, in game quests etc and would make the overworld alot more interesting for sure. Im still not certain its the route i want to go, but i recently joined up again with Will, my old partner in crime - he tends to do map editing and creation for me when im working on decent projects (he worked on me with Iro which won 4th out of 54 in the TGC puzzle game competition) and hes pushing me to either add scripting so he can make funky overworld things or just scrap the overworld >>; im not doing the latter so..

One thing that worries me is i built these the only way i know how, with SDL and *ducks* winapi. Not linux compatiable == not good as i know at least half of you guys use linux. Dont worry I havnt forgotten you and I will sort something out for you.

What I do like about this set of utils though is its all running off on my second monitor and i have the real game engine and source code open on my primary testing things as i go. Now i just need to hook my GP2X back up to my terminal and i will have a very leet setup of deving awesomeness, mwahahaha! ...yes *coughs* right.

gotta run! will keep you updated, hopfully more screenies soon.

rofl - i've had TWO people on irc already ask for that wallpaper (its a custom one i made so now only 3 people in the world have it :x) - my application has been out classed by the wallpaper it was obscuring T_T

Looks great, and scripting really does open much possibilities, I guess it would be a lot more fun with a main quest in the game, a rpg with Triple Triad instead of battles. :p

But yeah, the first thing that picked my interest too was the wallpaper. xD

ahaha, god, sounds like you guys need to join www.aahc.net >.<;;

but yeah, this is really great work.. im pretty busy myself and haven't been getting much sleep, so the deck is on the back-burner (got an arkwright entrance exam tomorrow, and mountians of homework), but i'll fit it in whenever i can. i realised a lot of the cards are just earthbound enemies, and some people will have no idea what a lot of the cards are.. so perhaps a description box in a "gallery" section as suggested by the other guy might be useful. of course, i would be more than happy to write the descriptions for my deck.

anyway, great work, as usual. :D

subin posted on Feb 7 2006 at 08:04 PM said:
ahaha, god, sounds like you guys need to join www.aahc.net >.<;;

What are you trying to insinuate? :p
Gah, with usermade card packs (I'm sure a lot will come when the game is actually released/finished, that's typical), this really could turn out popular. :p
And triple triad is a great game anyway, spent a lot of time beating the secret group in the balamb garden. :p

Draken posted on Feb 7 2006 at 09:01 PM said:
What are you trying to insinuate? :p
Gah, with usermade card packs (I'm sure a lot will come when the game is actually released/finished, that's typical), this really could turn out popular. :p
And triple triad is a great game anyway, spent a lot of time beating the secret group in the balamb garden. :p

..you know what i'm trying to insinuate xD have you ever heard of the AAHC? (it's www.theaahc.net btw, not aahc.net)

and yeah, triple triad is a cool game. i just hope sephnroth gets a really nice AI done.. (which i'm sure he will ;)).. my deck is looking pretty nice. just for kicks i'll post another card example.. it's a fire flower powerup from super mario world for the SNES.

i didn't realise how pixellated it looks around the flower top. i'll go over the whole deck once it's all done, i guess, and clear up stuff like this that i don't notice first time round. just so you know, this is a level 3 card i believe.

Paradox posted on Feb 7 2006 at 09:36 PM said:
the FF9 card game was much better.

i never played ff9 really, but i did become quite addicted to triple triad. i was loathe to pawn my cards for items, even if they did kick ass (like the items you got from the angelo card).

I wasnt a big fan of Quadria (the card game in ff9) - I always kind if saw it as something trying to BE triple triad because of the popularity of the original.

However its worth keeping in the back of my mind, when I finish the engine and theres a game going it might be worth adding quadria to it as well :) No promises though.

the FF9 card game was called tetra master, not "quadria" (where the hell is that from i've never heard of it?)

damn it im getting confused, forgive me!

Quadria was a fanmade multiplayer net-based pc game that had various things in it like triple triad and some other stuff (maybe even tetra master) - for some damned fool reason i typed out quadria instead of tetra master :s

ohwell, point stands xD

EDIT:

You know, just ignore me, im talking complete BS again!
I'm thinking of Questria. Apprantly i've completly made the name Quadria up. I have -no- idea where it came from -_- But I am very sleep and shortly going to bed, i've been up too many hours in a row i feel xD

and im still not completly well *nods* lemme alone T_T

Gah, didn't quite like the FF9 card game, didn't quite get it either, and it wasn't that rewarding, concidering what you could do with the FF8 cards. :)

The card you won when in space, from forgothername, card of Angelo (I think, yeah?), gave you 10-100 or something items that made your temporaly invinsible. :p

Quadria is a fine game for a game, perhaps keep it in mind? (Has this project any real name yet, by the way, or just Triple Triad? xP)

Back