Triple Triad X

Paradox posted on Jul 20 2006 at 01:07 AM said:
i think the blurry numbers are simply due to large images being shrunk down to such a small size. its incredibly hard to even see the images on the cards too. well its not hard.. its just hard to make out what is what, the only one i could tell was cactaur..

im going to have a go at making some from that triple triad advance site. what would be the best way to shrink to sucha small size while keeping the best quality?

The BEST way would be to manually tweak every single image after shrinking bilinearly. The "Sharp bicubic" in Photoshop is just a regular downsample with an added sharpening at the end, which is useless for smaller pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may, two quick suggestions:

1. The possibility of selling cards in the shop, not just buying.

2. When you win and you're gong to pick a card from your opponents hand, it would be handy if you could get some info about the current card at the bottom of the screen: more or less the same info as the shop i.e. name and level, and especially if you already have this card or not! I keep choosing the same cards I already have because my memory isn't too good :)

Apart from that, it's looking great man.

theres a problem when trying to talk to npc's too.. the area at which they are talkable seems really small, and sometimes takes me 10 seconds before im in the right place to speak to them..

Paradox posted on Jul 20 2006 at 09:54 AM said:
theres a problem when trying to talk to npc's too.. the area at which they are talkable seems really small, and sometimes takes me 10 seconds before im in the right place to speak to them..

Yeah, that's what I meant to say as well.

Been playing quite a big today and have came across the following bug:
When you're playing triad against the CPU, a lot of the time the numbers on the cards are not what the text tells you (when you highlight the card). Sometimes the damn CPU beats you because what the card says isn't what it's values really are!

I started writing down the cards and values, but I quickly found there were a LOT of affected cards, and worse still, the text values are random! The same card has different values in different games of triple triad. The card were this is most obvious and repeatable is "catoblepas", though so far I've also seen problems with Elvoret, Chimera, BGH251F2,Iron Giant, Jumbo Catuar, Red Giant, Tonberry King, Krysta and Ultima Weapon. After that I got tired of writing them all down!

In the shop however, the card values and the text values DO match up.

To reproduce the bug, all you have to do is play a hand of triad, and just when you're on your last card, check through all the cards on the table: at least one of them is bound to be dodgy.

BTW, I've made my own deck of cards which are somewhat easier to read than the ones that come with TTX (only the blue ones though): if the dev is interested I could send them to him.

Lobo posted on Jul 20 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
When you're playing triad against the CPU, a lot of the time the numbers on the cards are not what the text tells you (when you highlight the card). Sometimes the damn CPU beats you because what the card says isn't what it's values really are!

(..)

BTW, I've made my own deck of cards which are somewhat easier to read than the ones that come with TTX (only the blue ones though): if the dev is interested I could send them to him.

Just read these two paragraphes, and then think again what could lead to that bug that only you have seen until now..

DaveN posted on Jul 20 2006 at 02:05 PM said:
Just read these two paragraphes, and then think again what could lead to that bug that only you have seen until now..
I don't think that's what he meant... I've also experienced this bug, when sometimes the CPU will turn or won't turn one of my cards when it actually should (or shouldn't) have. And I didn't modify the tiles on my game, so it's a bug all right. I just can't provide more info because I've only played for like 20 minutes til now.

Lobo posted on Jul 19 2006 at 10:39 PM said:
Well I thought it WAS what you were asking.

"a tutorial on how to actually play the card game" and "it would be nice to have someone guide you through things"

I did both. Unless you're referring to an *In-Game* tutorial (which is *not* what you said)?

I think it was pretty obvious that this was what I was asking, Paulo Becker managed to work it out one post below mine. Instead you post a snide remark. I mean, when you read "it would be nice to have someone guide you through things" what did you think I meant? Someone would pop round to my place and guide me personally through the game?

Come on, admittedly i'm pretty new to these forums, but i've got a thick skin....others don't, which is why they don't stay and why ultimately the great console that is the GP2x will go nowhere.

OK, just to clear things up. I got the bug BEFORE I started using my own deck. In fact, part of the motivation for making my own deck was because I was getting cards flipped when I should have had the winning card, so I figured I wasn't seeing the numbers correctly or something. It's such a subtle bug that it seems most people haven't even noticed it (possibly due to the randomness of the numbers, they're winning when they should and therefore notice nothing). Thank you to Paulo Becker for corroborating the bug.
I think even the dev asked for people to pay special attention when playing, something about a < that should be > or something.

winapa, I apologize for my off-hand remark. I was sick, tired and snappy, and ultimately, out of line.

DaveN, just read (really read) my post again and then go and actually duplicate what I'm talking about. It happens with at least one card in just about EVERY game of triad. If my cards were suspect, then the following wouldn't make sense:
"The same card has different values in different games of triple triad."
and
"In the shop however, the card values and the text values DO match up"

And BTW other people have seen that the numbers are wrong (read Paradox post a couple of days ago)

Lobo posted on Jul 20 2006 at 11:14 PM said:
DaveN, just read (really read) my post again and then go and actually duplicate what I'm talking about. It happens with at least one card in just about EVERY game of triad. If my cards were suspect, then the following wouldn't make sense:
"The same card has different values in different games of triple triad."
and
"In the shop however, the card values and the text values DO match up"

I just re-read your post and the other posts you mentioned, I'll have to excuse me, it was my failure. Sorry for the offensive post.

I'll try to recreate it, and maybe there's a small line where it actually sets the values of a card 2 down or sets them to the values of a other card or something, just trying to find a system behind it.

I have the impression the bogey cards values change on the fly, as soon as that card is flipped by the CPU.
At that moment it assumes some values from god-knows-where and we get the problem. However the new values seem genuinely random: sometimes it gets the values of the card which "flipped" him, but others the numbers are completly different. It's really wierd.

DaveN, I can't make sense of it, I hope you can :)

Well, I still can't seem to find a pattern in the card flipping bug. Seems to be really random. I did find another bug however: after beating the last of the sisters, I went to the shop to buy a card and after I bought it, it didn't appear under my cards list.

Lobo posted on Jul 21 2006 at 10:54 PM said:
It's THAT obvious ?! :D

'Fraid so! My GP2x keeps me nearly sane....sometimes...And then my 2 1/2 year old shouts and drags me to play "choo choo's". c'est la vie!

David Beoulve posted on Jul 22 2006 at 01:47 PM said:
Definitely. Pays off sooner.
Its paid off right now, I love my kids (1x 13 year old and 1x2.5 year old) but they're seriously demanding (and dementing sometimes!)...I would NEVER be without either of them though. ;)

Cute family BTW David!

13 Years old? If it's a girl, then she's getting to that age were her Dad needs to buy a shotgun hehe.

I've got a few years left before I need to buy mine, but maybe a shop would cut us a deal if we all buy at the same time ;)

Back