Troll Alert

Heard of that before.

Some people are so bad mannered that they should be whipped once per post they made.

Internet, I am disappoint. I pledged no small amount to Anita's kickstarter back when it first started. It's very sad that the very point of her videos has been so forcefully proven.

obvious troll is obvious, no? nice video she made. will the whole serie be published or will it be sold?

Remind me this:

20040319h.jpg

I'm one of the many supports of her kickstarter. I hate this kind of bullshit that is getting thrown at her and I don't even agree with her opinions some of the times.

to be fair, she looks like quite a stereotype herself :| while i wouldnt go out of my way to troll that hard for something that silly, i cant exactly agree with her views/opinions/facts, to a point where i dont even have the will to explain why

to be fair, she looks like quite a stereotype herself :| while i wouldnt go out of my way to troll that hard for something that silly, i cant exactly agree with her views/opinions/facts, to a point where i dont even have the will to explain why

you too think that feminist are frequently sexist in a reverse way? it looks to me that since women are still discriminated in a general way people seems to accept sexist towards men... (I guess people might be right) :D that said I can only agree with her with the gamers universe being sexist...

Last edited by a moderator:
The general problem with her is loose strawman connections to problems - Women are discriminated always, men are never discriminated. seriously, Smurfette is the only female Smurf. enough said right?

She needs to spend much more time on her topics and I'm going to assume she can hire an editor and some research assistants for her project with that money.

That said, most of the videos she's released are on topic and showcase actual bias and problems that should be raised.

you too think that feminist are frequently sexist in a reverse way?
I challenge you to find me one instance of a woman being sexist and socially accepted for it and I will show you a dozen where a man is sexist and socially accepted for it. There is no comparison.

This isn't to say that it doesn't happen, but the frequency of it is so low that complaining about it is akin to crying over a piece of burnt toast while your neighbour's house collapses in flame. Using it as some sort of cover or excuse is especially disheartening (and is itself sexist): the fact that some extreme minority of women engage in sexist behaviour should not in any way undercut the huge number of men (both vocal and subconscious) that do the same thing. When a woman dares to suggest that some particular behaviour is bad and she gets death threats and wide range of misogynistic comments, that is cause for concern. No man anywhere has ever received a single death threat for pointing out sexist attitudes from women.

To make sure my point is understood (because I'm pretty sure it isn't entirely clear) claiming that some women can also be sexist is like complaining about a mosquito bite while you tear up the swamp: whether one mosquito bit you or a thousand is irrelevant to the fact that we are still tearing up the swamp for absolutely no reason. Before we can complain about other people's behaviour, we need to control our own.

I see this woman on telly and I think she see's men as nothing more than a d**k for her to use

Sam_gallery__261x400,0-200x0.jpg

you too think that feminist are frequently sexist in a reverse way?
I challenge you to find me one instance of a woman being sexist and socially accepted for it and I will show you a dozen where a man is sexist and socially accepted for it. There is no comparison.

This isn't to say that it doesn't happen, but the frequency of it is so low that complaining about it is akin to crying over a piece of burnt toast while your neighbour's house collapses in flame. Using it as some sort of cover or excuse is especially disheartening (and is itself sexist): the fact that some extreme minority of women engage in sexist behaviour should not in any way undercut the huge number of men (both vocal and subconscious) that do the same thing. When a woman dares to suggest that some particular behaviour is bad and she gets death threats and wide range of misogynistic comments, that is cause for concern. No man anywhere has ever received a single death threat for pointing out sexist attitudes from women.

To make sure my point is understood (because I'm pretty sure it isn't entirely clear) claiming that some women can also be sexist is like complaining about a mosquito bite while you tear up the swamp: whether one mosquito bit you or a thousand is irrelevant to the fact that we are still tearing up the swamp for absolutely no reason. Before we can complain about other people's behaviour, we need to control our own.

you misunderstood me, I like what she wrote, I just like to avoid extremist whatever the belive (being it a religion, related to races, nationality, gender, diet or anything else) in and I'm just amused to see how, depending on the mass they represent and how much they have reason to "fight", people tends to accept that more or less...

edit: Fzero: I'm not sure it's a good example :)

Yeah, tbh she was the only woman that sprung to mind [almost immediately] when I read Wizards challenge.

Reading the article on New Statesman though, is a bit out of order, hadn't heard of this woman or her kickstarter but I guess she fed some early trolls and it's since escalated to mock games and such.

This is typical behaviour from gamers, and I am not the least bit surprised by it. It is an absolute disgrace, and one of the many reasons that I find gamers as a group to be highly offensive, and something that I wish no association with. It is why I do not, and would never want to, identify as a gamer - outside of its usage as a verb, it has some pretty nasty connotations among the sane. (A little test you can do to observe this yourself, is how you answer if someone asks you about your hobbies. If you proclaim "I'm a gamer!", you're likely to get a negative response, whereas if you state "I like to play video games.", you're more likely to get a response that's not only positive, but which sparks a conversation if the person asking has even so much as a passing interest in playing them themselves.)

I'd like to say that it's just an obnoxious minority who happens to be very loudmouthed, but past experience and observations have made it appear to be a distinct majority. In fact, I almost never joined this community in the first place for that reason - I'm glad that folks around here buck the apparent trend.

you're right... that said I'm also avoiding to call myself a gamer as a man...

Concerning this case, yes the trolls are awfull and are a shame for internet in a general way. That said purelly speculating in a rather cynic way, I never heard of her before that and I'm thinking that one can wonder if she fed the troll at first, seeing the popularity her kickstarter generated and the amount of free publicy she received. If she didn't do it would have been a good idea.

and I'm thinking that one can wonder if she fed the troll at first, seeing the popularity her kickstarter generated and the amount of free publicy she received
Speculation about whether "someone fed the trolls" is just wording used to excuse atrocious behaviour.

A person should never have to worry that saying or doing something valid and harmless will attract extreme nastiness, bigotry, and death threats. To suggest that one wonders if she invited it, is to downplay the seriousness of the issue.

ho no, i'm not excusing the behaviour at all, it's not acceptable and never will be. I know I can be rather cynic but from her point of view I think that feeding the troll at first would have been a good idea... whether she did or didn't... I'm not saying she did as I have almost no information on this specific case

ho no, i'm not excusing the behaviour at all, it's not acceptable and never will be.
My sincerest apologies for misunderstanding your wording.

Unfortunately, I've seen similar wording used to excuse such behaviour a lot of times. I came to the wrong conclusion this time - I'm sorry.

ho no, i'm not excusing the behaviour at all, it's not acceptable and never will be.
My sincerest apologies for misunderstanding your wording.

Unfortunately, I've seen similar wording used to excuse such behaviour a lot of times. I came to the wrong conclusion this time - I'm sorry.

you are definately right, and I guess not being a native english speaker might not help when talking about delicate subjects :)

Just to clarify - I'm the same, don't agree with that type of behaviour, but wonder if it would have reached this level of trolling if she had ignored them from day one.

Like a lot of bullying, tends to die down if you ignore it and don't rise to it / bite their bait

Just so you guys don't think that I'm one of those naughty 'gamers' :)

Not so sure if much difference will come of it, but the law here are trying to do something about trolling I heard recently... just caught my attention when I was zoned out in front of the telly and the keyword triggered my attention, was only a quick news headline but I think it was about this business

http://www.bgr.com/2012/06/12/internet-troll-law-uk-libel/

Back