Trolls

worldwriter

Grumpy
Website
Visit site
I've come to a conclusion. Those of us who get mad at new members for not using the search function and for asking simplistic questions are the real trolls...

We all think no one wants to see another "256 smc" question or a "how do I get this wad off of my smc" question...

In actual fact no wants to see old codgers being cranky and disrespectful to people who are new to the scene... people who may not sit in front of a computer all day or people who have not been playing consoles since the early days of pong burning images on tv sets....

So from now on I'm going to try to help people with newb questions if I know the answer and I'll be the first one to make fun of someone who gets mad at newb questions...

by the way... did you all know how easy it is to tell a newb to go to google and type in "what ever the newb is looking for site:www.gp32x.de"?

Last edited by a moderator:
In actual fact no wants to see old codgers being cranky and disrespectful to people who are new to the scene... people who may not sit in front of a computer all day or people who have not been playing consoles since the early days of pong burning images on tv sets....

Piss off. I've got cavities older than you, n00b!

( :lol: ... kidding ... well, not about the cavities ... )

People who get mad at new members for not using the search function
need to get a taste of how being banned feels (like a suspension or something).
If you're that angry at the newb, don't bother replying at all.

by the way... did you all know how easy it is to tell a newb to go to google and type in "what ever the newb is looking for site:www.gp32x.de"?
I end up doing that all the time for N00bs, as they need a straight forward answer and not someone yelling at them. For example in my first post I got nice, non angry replies and that was one of the reasons I stayed with the community, instead of popping in every one in a while to ask for help. ;)

people get pissed off, that's all...

imagine you've been here for a year, and someone comes on with the 100th 'GBA emulation.../...256mb SMC.../...port 'such-and-such' question...

you've spent a whole year answering mostly the same questions over and over, and while at first you were happy to, it then turns to 'still smiling, and being helpful and answering the question' to 'getting a bit pissed off now, but answering the question' to 'ignoring it' to 'pointing out other threads where the same questions have been answered' to 'JUST FUCK OFF AND SEARCH, WILL YA! :-||' to sitting back and laughing while all the rest is going on...'

I say go easy on the people who get angry... *usually* (not always) it's because they're just frigging worn out from answering n00b questions all the time... :S

people get pissed off, that's all...

imagine you've been here for a year, and someone comes on with the 100th 'GBA emulation.../...256mb SMC.../...port 'such-and-such' question...

you've spent a whole year answering mostly the same questions over and over, and while at first you were happy to, it then turns to 'still smiling, and being helpful and answering the question' to 'getting a bit pissed off now, but answering the question' to 'ignoring it' to 'pointing out other threads where the same questions have been answered' to 'JUST FUCK OFF AND SEARCH, WILL YA! :-||' to sitting back and laughing while all the rest is going on...'

I say go easy on the people who get angry... *usually* (not always) it's because they're just frigging worn out from answering n00b questions all the time... :S

Go easy on the people who get angry? Ok, who's holding the gun to their head that is forcing them to answer the noob questions?? If they don't like the topic subject, they don't have to click on it, if they do click on it, they don't have to reply, its as simple as that. Its all psychological, people are assholes, and people feel like they have some sort of power because they can hide behind a forum where nobody will actually see how weak they really are.

i agree that it's all psychological...

i *don't* agree that people are assholes (most people *aren't*)

and it *is* true that the anonymity of the internet gives people greater licence to usse harsh words without physical retribution... if 'hiding behind a forum' gave power, then everyone on his forum would have this power, and it would cancel out...

guess what? you're right... 'hiding behind a forum' *does* give power... it gives the power for someone/anyone to speak their opinions without the threat of getting physically punched for saying something the hearer doesn't like.

and that power also gives protection to *anyone* using the forum... if they say something that *everyone* really hates, then the worst punishment is to be banned...

try getting free speech like that in a city centre club on a saturday night... ;)

it's not 'weak' and it's not 'hiding behind a forum' unless you're the type of person who uses physical force to win arguments... are you that person?

no i'm not that person, and i'm not the kind of person that is going to name call and verbally beat someone behind a forum. If i'm going to be like some people, especialy Vimacs, and only say FUCK OFF and crap like that, i'd rather say it to someones face, saying crap without reason like that to me is cowardly.

I think everyone does something for a reason, and those who put down noobs do it to feel powerful and do it to add one more post to their count to get them one more post away from being new themselves...

Personally, I've made my fair share of topics that probably could have been answered with the search function. But I think it's just funner to post and have some interaction with the other members. Afterall, this is a community.

However, I'm not going to say "Yeah! Kill the trolls!" or "Damn you, noobs!" because both of these are very disrespectful and, quite frankly, immature. I don't like that this topic was made because it's never good and actually pretty stupid to dwell on things and that's the underlying purpose of this thread. Vimacs and some others have been irresponsible with their "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!@" posts, but I feel it's equally irresponsible to have a flood of people going "Damn you, insert name, don't be such a troll, you asshole."

To those who don't like the noobish questions, don't open the thread.

And those who hate those "damn trolls", chill. Just answer the question and move on.

I see little reason to get angry at someone for something as trivial as a post in some forum.

... :ph34r:

Good thread. I was kinda disappointed to see some of the nastiness toward new users here when I got my BLU recently. Back when I had my FLU, this site's messageboards were famous for being filled with friendly and helpful members. But lately it's been a bit intimidating here, especially for newbies.

I have always just answered the n0085 question if it wasn't too lame. If it was real lame of a question I just didn't reply. I always feel that I don't want to turn anyone off from this community. A lame question from a noo8 is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, no need to be rude.

IMO people who think about this matter as intensively as that and post about it in webboards are trolls. Sorry. :p

Jesus, there have barely been flaming posts during the last couple of weeks, compared with, say, 6 months ago. No need for that old discussion, that has been discussed over and over again. By the way, most people are still helpful as ever when they're asked questions that are somewhat sensible and new. Just have a look at the dev boards.

Back