Turn Based Games Any Homebrew Or Recommendations?

stustaff

I remember hearing ages ago about someone creating an advance wars type game but can't find anything on it now.

But it's a genre I love and wondered if anyone knew of any out there? Homebrew or available on pandora via emulation.

I tend to find them a great fit on a portable console as they typicallydont have you die immediately or cause problems if you look away for a couple of minutes.

Having said this I'm not sure if turn based is the right term... I almos see them as a type of chess game, eg specific pieces that have different functions and must be combined to be effective.

stustaff said:
I remember hearing ages ago about someone creating an advance wars type game but can't find anything on it now.

But it's a genre I love and wondered if anyone knew of any out there? Homebrew or available on pandora via emulation.

I tend to find them a great fit on a portable console as they typicallydont have you die immediately or cause problems if you look away for a couple of minutes.

Having said this I'm not sure if turn based is the right term... I almos see them as a type of chess game, eg specific pieces that have different functions and must be combined to be effective.

You're looking for turn-based strategy, probably. The Battle for Wesnoth is a very good turn-based strategy game that you can play natively on the Pandora, and through emulation you might want to check out the Fire Emblem, Shining Force, and Final Fantasy Tactics series. Also, I enjoyed Yu Yu Hakusho: Tournament Tactics for the GBA.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
the front mission games are awesome, front mission 1 on snes (requires translation patch) and 3 on psx specifically. Although, not much beats the Advanced wars series on the gba imo, many hours sunk in those games. :)

another term used to describe these type of games is "tactical rpg" search for it in psx or snes or gba, there are alot of great games like this.

We should compile a list of the best tactical games available for the pandora.

btw, I know DS isn't emulated on pandora (yet) but I feel compelled to mention Rondo of Swords. I loved that game. Its tactical (played on a game board of sorts) like these other games but has a spin on the way you attack. Original, very fun and very very hard. I played through that one twice before I had enough, course I played through fm1 3 times :D

MonkeyChops said:
Although, not much beats the Advanced wars series on the gba imo, many hours sunk in those games. :)
On that note, this may be of interest. ;)

indeed it is, I was not aware of the snes and gameboy games in that series. Thanks.

Hmm wesnoth has never really looked that interesting to me, I'll have to take another look.

But maybe fire emblem games first :)

stustaff said:
Hmm wesnoth has never really looked that interesting to me, I'll have to take another look.
Wesnoth is awesome. It's the best turn-based strategy game I ever played (commercial included)

sebt3 said:
stustaff said:
Wesnoth is awesome. It's the best turn-based strategy game I ever played (commercial included)

I think it's the graphics, I have never actually started a game!

Is it not more of an RPG you know wandering around like final fantasy more than an actual tactical battle on a measured out map with 'squares'

stustaff said:
sebt3 said:
stustaff said:

I think it's the graphics, I have never actually started a game!

Is it not more of an RPG you know wandering around like final fantasy more than an actual tactical battle on a measured out map with 'squares'

There is no wandering around in Wesnoth. All the gameplay is tactical battle.

-God Ginrai

Onimusha Tactics on GBA is a fantastic TBS game - very similar to FF Tactics, but better IMHO.

Don't forget -

Viking Raiders (Spectrum)
Rebelstar Raiders (Spectrum)
Laser Squad (several 8bit machines)
X-COM ( Amiga, PC, PSX).

It requires Windows, but Shadow Watch was a great game.

Also, have you tried Battle Isle/Crimson Fields?

Thaks for the other recommendations will give them a look.

Played the wesnoth tutorial and still very undecided.

First thoughts are that compared to advance wars and vandal hearts it's a little slow and poorer in both presentation and story... BUT the killer seems to be that the control and battle mechanisms aren't as good either. Eg a MASSIVE issue for me is that an archer can't shoot someone at a distance they have to stand next to them! How daft is that!

stustaff said:

First thoughts are that compared to advance wars and vandal hearts it's a little slow and poorer in both presentation and story... BUT the killer seems to be that the control and battle mechanisms aren't as good either. Eg a MASSIVE issue for me is that an archer can't shoot someone at a distance they have to stand next to them! How daft is that!

I'm pretty sure it's only a level 1 archer that can't shoot at a distance. However, it has been a while since I've played, so I could be wrong.

-God Ginrai

stustaff said:

You might be looking for this one here: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/496-wars-working-title/ (Wars by B-Zar)
It is still in development, though.

foxblock out

stustaff said:

I didnt like the tutorial. When I first played wesnoth I played it more like a rts, but the key to wesnoth is to advance your soldiers and you keep them with you, and that makes for great gameplay the balance between getting the stronger units to fight but to keep them save for next missions. Its a great game once you're into it.

Battle Isle 2200 had rocket Buggies and artillery pieces. I imagine other games in the series as well as any clones would have that built in.

Battle Isle was absolutely fantastic.

One classic I forgot to mention was HistoryLine 1914-1918 on DOS pc/Amiga, which recounted the First World War with you playing as the Alies or Axis.

Back