Turning off CPU OC warnings... for real?

aidenn

Still Fresh
Hi,

I was wondering how to properly turn off CPU OC warnings when launching apps which have CPU speed specified by the MiniMenu (OC on launch). I turned off warnings in the CPU-Settings app, but the games still display a pop-up which asks me if I really want to OC.

Now, there's an option in that pop-up to disable them by writing a file with that particular CPU speed value in the app's appdata folder. However, if I select it and later change the CPU speed for that app using the MiniMenu, it gets overriden by that file.

So, if I ever want to change CPU speed for that particular app, I have to delete the file first, which brings back the popup again, and I don't want that pop-up at all while being able to change the default app CPU speed without using a file manager.

Any tips? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it three times. And I don't want to run at max CPU speed all the time. I know I can and there will be no warnings, but I want to run @ 800 MHz in the OS and for each game to set its own CPU speed. It does that, but every time I set a game to use over 1 GHz, the warning pops up. Surely there's a file somewhere which defines that threshold?

You don't run at max all the times. You set a max CPU speed and the processor scales up to that maximum amount, if need be.

So if you're only listening to MP3, it might only run with 300MHz regardless what your maximum cpu speed is.

Use Systeminfo to watch you battery, CPU load and Memory (and anything else).

It's a must have I think.

Especially for new users to get an impression of how the Pandora clocks the CPU.

I still use it a lot.

You don't run at max all the times. You set a max CPU speed and the processor scales up to that maximum amount, if need be.

So if you're only listening to MP3, it might only run with 300MHz regardless what your maximum cpu speed is.
Thanks for the answer! So, in other words, If I set CPU speed globally at 1300 using CPU-Speed app without any app-specific settings, then only really demanding apps, like GBA.emu or PPSSPP will run @1.3 GHz while, for example, NES.emu will run at exactly the amount it needs for full speed (which should be considerably less than 1.3) and setting CPU speed via MiniMenu on app launch only changes the max value?

It's not very informative in the OS when there's a separate max CPU speed value and current CPU speed value and, apparently, setting current CPU speed actually defines max speed, while setting max speed value only restricts what value you can set the current (max :D ) CPU speed to. Yeah. ;)

If so... how do I remove the CPU speed value from an app?

Max Speed you choose: Maximum Speed the application may use.

If not needed.

Else:

So, in other words, If I set CPU speed globally at 1300 using CPU-Speed app without any app-specific settings, then only really demanding apps, like GBA.emu or PPSSPP will run @1.3 GHz while, for example, NES.emu will run at exactly the amount it needs for full speed (which should be considerably less than 1.3) and setting CPU speed via MiniMenu on app launch only changes the max value?

Speaking of CPU warnings, what about having an option to disable the "Want to set the CPU speed to default?" message that pops up when booting up the Pandora after it crashes/turns off when playing a game, etc.?

Speaking of CPU warnings, what about having an option to disable the "Want to set the CPU speed to default?" message that pops up when booting up the Pandora after it crashes/turns off when playing a game, etc.?
No chance.

I'm talking about

Settings > CPU Settings > Set Maximum allowed MHz.
If I understand what ED wrote correctly, this does not change maximum CPU speed that apps use. I believe it goes as follows:

Settings > CPU-Settings > Set the maximum allowed MHz -- set the maximum value available for the user to choose in the CPU-Speed app (global value) and per-app overrides. It does not actually impose anything on the CPU directly.

System > CPU-Speed -- set actual maximum CPU speed available for automatic speedstep.

And the latter obviously doesn't set a static CPU speed value, because it would contradict what ED wrote, thus I believe that descriptions are misleading.

Anyway, if this is how it goes and apps automatically go as low as they need, how do I remove per-app settings completely? Because I don't think I need them at all. :)

Sorry for bumping, but I'm currently calibrating my battery and viewing System Info. I looked in the CPU tab, and the tab says the CPU is running at 1.3 GHz even though there's no load (1-2%). I also checked in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq - same thing. What's up with that? I assumed it shouldn't do that based on this thread. (/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq shows 300 MHz as it should)

Actually that is not true. The kernel can be configured to do that, but by default it doesn't scale down the frequency, because of latency issues (changing the frequency on demand can make some emulators choppy).

But it still does not matter. The clock speed is only one of the things that determine power consumption. The more important thing is which power-saving state the CPU is in.

You can monitor this in System Info by going to the CPU tab (press R to reset the counters).

If it is in a low-power state like "Sleep", it consumes very little power. If it is in "Deep Sleep" it's effectively almost as if it is completely powered off. Whatever the clock speed is, if the cpu is in deep sleep, it will be consuming nearly no power. If you take a look at those global percentages, you'll see that your CPU is spending quite a lot of its time asleep.

So if the CPU is mostly idle, it can actually be better for power consumption to be at a higher clock speed, because that means it has to be awake for shorter amounts of time before it can go back to sleep.

Just clock your Pandora to the highest clock speed that is stable (use the cpu stress test tool by notaz to find a stable speed); or as a rule of thumb: set it to 900MHz for CC/ReBirth units and to 1100 or 1150MHz for 1GHz units. It will be fine.

Thanks! Good to know it doesn't matter, because I hated setting CPU speed per PND. Now I'm happy with perma-1.3GHz and no popups asking me if I'm reeeeallly suuuure I want to allow such overclock. Oh, and ATM my System Info says 2% operating, 22% sleep and 76% deep sleep, so I guess it's not very awake. ;)

I already stress-tested this setting with notaz's tool a month ago, it works flawlessly 24/7.

Back