Tv Out Cable Problems, Exclusive To First Edition?

HydraLancer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

I’ve heard many things as to why TV out is flaky, but out of all of these reasons I haven’t been able to narrow down what the main reasons are.

I have heard one of the main reasons is that the cable from the get go is bad which apparently there exists better ones you can get, which if anyone has a store of choice I would appreciate a link such as shopgp2x or gp32z where people know they work.

I have also heard that there is a problem with the First edition and how the pins on the EXT port don’t make proper contact; if this is the case then I guess I’m a bit out of luck. If someone knows if this is true or not I would defiantly like to know so I could perhaps get a Mark II in the future or if there is a solution to this with out excessive hands on work that would be awesome.

I think I remember seeing a link to a how to on how to get it to work but that was a bit ago and I wasn’t sure if it was a hardware fault regarding the system of the cable. Just asking around.

Thank you

HydraLancer posted on May 13 2006 at 11:25 AM said:
Hello all,

I’ve heard many things as to why TV out is flaky, but out of all of these reasons I haven’t been able to narrow down what the main reasons are.

I have heard one of the main reasons is that the cable from the get go is bad which apparently there exists better ones you can get, which if anyone has a store of choice I would appreciate a link such as shopgp2x or gp32z where people know they work.

I have also heard that there is a problem with the First edition and how the pins on the EXT port don’t make proper contact; if this is the case then I guess I’m a bit out of luck. If someone knows if this is true or not I would defiantly like to know so I could perhaps get a Mark II in the future or if there is a solution to this with out excessive hands on work that would be awesome.

I think I remember seeing a link to a how to on how to get it to work but that was a bit ago and I wasn’t sure if it was a hardware fault regarding the system of the cable. Just asking around.

Thank you

I assume a typo and you mean the unit OR the cable.

I found in my case that it was the cable, a small piece of card fixed my problem, not really a huge hassle.

If you read the last few posts in the topic below it seems like you can ignore the filing in my "fix" and just do the card.

see a current discussion.

and my fix in the archive.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the new TV-out cables work, like as of late January so you should be fine.

I had one from Decemeber and it would just flicker in and out but the new one I got works just fine. They GP32z replaced it for free and I still have the old cable, which must be good for something.

What was the issue before? I admit this has been my obstacle to buying one as well. I heard though, that the issue was caused by the board in the First Edition GP2x units being misaligned by a tiny bit causing poor connection (same issue causing the stick to slam against the left side of the unit.)

I got one of the cables from the crappy first batch. The main problem seems to be that the connector itself is shoddy. It doesn't go all the way in, so it is loose and sometimes loses connection. I can get it to work by setting it down in such a way that there is pressure on the connector. I don't think my connector would work very well for playing games; I just use it for movies.

Since my cable is bad, I don't know if there is also a problem with the first edition GP2X itself.

Epicenter posted on May 13 2006 at 06:33 PM said:
What was the issue before? I admit this has been my obstacle to buying one as well. I heard though, that the issue was caused by the board in the First Edition GP2x units being misaligned by a tiny bit causing poor connection (same issue causing the stick to slam against the left side of the unit.)

Not a chance, the board in the GP2X can be shifted left to right, but since the EXT port is in the bottom the board has nothing to do with that.

It is just the first batch of TV-out connectors wouldn't fit properly because they were the wrong dimension and the pins weren't contacting the terminals on the EXT port.

It is totally possible to fix the shifted board if that is what causes your stick to hit the face and lose one of the directional inputs. I have done it.

Like I said before, put a little piece of card in it, or some JB weld and file it down and it should work just great, it did for me if you see my TV-Out fix.

LINK:The TV-Out cable is fixable, I have done this personally (it may not be necessary to file the connector, try the paper first, if it works you are good).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back