Tv-out Questions

arrrgh said:
If a program on the Pandora switches to 640x480, will it display correctly on a 4:3 TV without letterboxing?
+1

The older video showing TV-Out functionality has black borders on the screen,
but I think that it's a 16:9 one. TV OUT TEST, New Attempt #1 - MWeston2

Can somebody tell whether it's feasible to have a 4:3 image without borders?

Last edited by a moderator:
kuru said:
arrrgh said:
If a program on the Pandora switches to 640x480, will it display correctly on a 4:3 TV without letterboxing?
+1

The older video showing TV-Out functionality has black borders on the screen,
but I think that it's a 16:9 one. TV OUT TEST, New Attempt #1 - MWeston2

Can somebody tell whether it's feasible to have a 4:3 image without borders?

Only if you set the Pandora to a 4:3 res and output to a 4:3 ratio TV

lulzfish said:
Or if you have a 16:10 or 16:9 TV and set it to stretch mode.

But then I'd have to hurt you.

I nearly always stretch on my TV. Grey/Black borders irritate me far more than 'fat' people in films.

And I just don't notice it at all when I'm playing a blast of Sonic or Road Rash!

My brother in laws TV does a non linear stretch; things at the edge are stretched, while the middle is kept 1:1. It is very awkward if the camera pans because it makes the scene look like it's shrinking and then stretching back out again. I turn it off to go back to black bars whenever he's not looking.

ITT we discuss aspect ratios.

when I play Shadow of the Colossus, I traditionally set it to "16:9" and play fullscreen on my 16:10 TV.
Then I realized that there was no difference between the 4:3 and 16:9 settings, they were both 4:3.

Now I play with letterboxing, and I'm a little confused about it.

GTA III and Vice City were like that - on the 16:9 setting the only thing that changed was the geometry of the vehicles and people, so they didn't look stretched, everything else was unchanged, so you ended up with fat buildings and no actual expansion of your field of view.

Seeing TVs in store window displays running stretched material fills me with purist rage. I keep meaning to get a universal remote so I can 'fix' them for the sake of my sanity.

EHHHHH?!?!?! Audio in???

Wow! That is good news! Means that I can record my vinyl records straight in! :D
I guess it would record and save at a the most purist quality over MP3?

Gruso said:
^ That'll depend on software of course, but no decent software would make you record to a compressed format like that anyway. Wav, Ogg, take your pick.

Good point on the software, but I take it that it will come with some sort of software if it already has audio in option (obviously nothing fancy, but anything to put some vinyl sounds on that didn't get re-released on CD is pure bliss:))

I'm sure there are lot's of devices that do this, but me not being a gadget type person (DS Phat and a 2003 built sony erricson mobile phone), I'm usually out of the loop.

P.S My mobile phone never gets stolen and I've lost and found it many a time!

Not sure what will be included actually. If you're running in full desktop mode, there just may be a basic sound recording utility. But I'll be hanging out for a port of Audacity, which would be perfect for what you want to do.

Back