Tv Out ... When, Oh When??

For fuck sake, Has no one here ever brought a decent graphics card with tv-out ?.

tv_out_cables.jpg

Just look at the size of thoughs fucking cables, I mean ADAPTORS.

Why does everyone think they are being short changed for christ sake. Not content with getting all the software and games for free, People want the fucking hardware for free too.

Breathes.

Trooper

trooper posted on Dec 20 2005 at 08:35 PM said:
For fuck sake, Has no one here ever brought a decent graphics card with tv-out ?.

tv_out_cables.jpg

Just look at the size of thoughs fucking cables, I mean ADAPTORS.

Why does everyone think they are being short changed for christ sake. Not content with getting all the software and games for free, People want the fucking hardware for free too.

Breathes.

Trooper

He's got a point, you guys are buying the system for around $70 less than PSP costed at launch, and you get most of the software and games for free, while with PSP, you have to pay for most. ;P (Used PSP as an example because of price difference)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind short at all, its almost better that way cause i have more room to stuff them in my case and i can easily swap an nes for a gp32 without reaching behind an enterntainment system (not that i actually have one of those). Plus it makes the actual cables cheaper, and the extentions are more customizable if i just go to my nearest cable store and tell them what size to make them, whats just long enough for me may be big and bulky for someone else, and tangly too!

trooper posted on Dec 21 2005 at 02:35 AM said:
Not content with getting all the software and games for free, People want the fucking hardware for free too.

No one is talking about free, I guess no one would complain if the gp2x would come with the cables, you know you need to buy them seperately ;)

indeed, the explanation for the TV out is not an excuse it is simply the way it is. The only thing I'm remotly bothered by is the need to put a female connector on the plus to extend them... luckily I have extenders for the RCA plugs but not everyone will want to go to Radio Shack and spend the 5 bucks to get some.

The RCA audio connectors are female, so you won't need a female-female adaptor to plug use most cables, but I think the S-Video is a male connector. I don't know why they would do that; unless I'm wrong about the S-Video.

Anyway, most of the time you will probably be able to use the cables you already have hooked up to a DVD player or VCR if you just carry around a small S-Video to composite adapter also. I have tons of 3ft RCA cables for audio and video from different DVD players, etc..

i have a bunch, if i get a tv out adapter i will have no problem at all, got tons of the damn things. or hoot it to my psone screen for the sheer pointlessness of it, go from 3.5 to 5" WOO!

New user here.... but I just thought I'd add that I pre-ordered a GP2X and a TV out cable from play-asia back in November, and I received an e-mail today that my order has been shipped. SO.... I should assume that TV out cables are indeed shipping out.

Check it out at at Play-Asia.com

Isn't that a female plug? I'm sure an extension cord would be a given, it wouldn't be very "portable" to bring a 5 metre cable along with you when you could just take the Gpx2 tv out cable to someone's home (assuming they have an extension cable that is)

craigix posted on Dec 21 2005 at 12:13 AM said:
We have the cables in stock, but they won't work until version 3 of the firmware.

Craig,

How much are they selling for? I want one asap, since I hope you're going to take a well deserved rest over Christmas and New Years. Hopefully the firmware will be out over that period. If you will ship them right away, I will buy one right now!

To all the whiners that the cable's not long enough: Deal with it. It suits me fine since I have several 2 and 5 metre svideo cables and just as many phono cables for sound. This is an adaptor/breakout box which basically adds S-Video and phono outs to the GP2X. It's the correct thing for GPH to do, s-video and phono cables can be had anywhere for the price of fuck-all or thereabouts. Just like SD is the right format because it's small and cheap and easily available. Plus I already had a shitload of them sitting around in various sizes because, guess what, it's a standard and lots of my other toys use use the format (including my phone). The retail price of the GP2X doesn't include batteries either because, fuck me, AAs are standard and are available everywhere in the world for next to nothing if you haven't already got a million of them kicking around. See a pattern here? STANDARD PARTS = CHEAP. You can buy a bloody video cable for less than GPH could make one.

Hmmm, a bit of thinking says that if GPH increased the length of the cables themselves to a 2 meter or whatever, then the price would go up obviously, but then you would have the price of postage going up (as the leads would need more space, and be heavier), and then because they are being imported from Korea, the VAT and import duty would be higher, etc.

So, in the end you would probably pay 3 times as much for the cable than you would for the short cable and buying an extension lead in your own country.

I don't know about the rest of you, but considering I have about a dozen phono extension leads, and a couple of others that I use with my pc/camera/etc, then I'd prefer to pay the least price possible, and use my existing cables.

the price is very encouraging imho - these are proprietry cables and gp could sell them for £20-£30 and we'd still buy them.

Being used to a tech culture where the big players charge the earth for a simple but unique cable makes these kind of prices wonderful.

We have the cables in stock, but they won't work until version 3 of the firmware.
Does anyone know if this firmware disables the tv-out chip when its not being used, because that would give us a whole load more battery life. (as far as i know the tv-out chip is constantly running at the moment)

chris_r posted on Dec 21 2005 at 04:19 PM said:
Does anyone know if this firmware disables the tv-out chip when its not being used, because that would give us a whole load more battery life. (as far as i know the tv-out chip is constantly running at the moment)

A whole load of more battery life? Perhaps 10-30 minutes more I guess... -It's not like the TV out drains 300ma or something in idle mode...

A whole load of more battery life? Perhaps 10-30 minutes more I guess... -It's not like the TV out drains 300ma or something in idle mode...
I swear someone in the dev channel said that actually it does.

Squidge posted on Dec 21 2005 at 04:18 AM said:
Hmmm, a bit of thinking says that if GPH increased the length of the cables themselves to a 2 meter or whatever, then the price would go up obviously, but then you would have the price of postage going up (as the leads would need more space, and be heavier), and then because they are being imported from Korea, the VAT and import duty would be higher, etc.

So, in the end you would probably pay 3 times as much for the cable than you would for the short cable and buying an extension lead in your own country.

I don't know about the rest of you, but considering I have about a dozen phono extension leads, and a couple of others that I use with my pc/camera/etc, then I'd prefer to pay the least price possible, and use my existing cables.

If that's being used as an excuse, the price better be lower than this ($3.99):

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...roducts_id=1416

This gamecube S-Video cable is certainly longer than 1 feet, and as proprietary as GP2x's "adapter", and Lik-sang is not a charity organization; they do business to make money.

codeninja posted on Dec 21 2005 at 04:56 PM said:

Aw, come on! That's a cable for the Snes/N64/GC, how long do you think that's been in production (here's a clue, it's 15 years!)? How many hundreds of thousands do you think have been made since they first became available, and how many do you think Lik-Sang have sitting in warehouses?

Everone knows that the the more of something you make, the cheaper they are each. Also, the longer you make the same thing, the cheaper they get. It's simply the economics of manufacturing.

There are less then 10,000 GP2Xs sold, so way less than that number of TV breakout cables will have been manufactured so far. Probably one % of the number of Snes/N64/GC tv cables.

Therefore the price will be higher.

Anyone who's ever bought an "Official" Nintendo/Sony/Sega/Microsoft TV cable knows what kind of price to expect to pay for this kind of thing. My Xbox RGB cable cost £30.

RichKS posted on Dec 21 2005 at 10:43 AM said:
codeninja posted on Dec 21 2005 at 04:56 PM said:

Aw, come on! That's a cable for the Snes/N64/GC, how long do you think that's been in production (here's a clue, it's 15 years!)? How many hundreds of thousands do you think have been made since they first became available, and how many do you think Lik-Sang have sitting in warehouses?

Everone knows that the the more of something you make, the cheaper they are each. Also, the longer you make the same thing, the cheaper they get. It's simply the economics of manufacturing.

There are less then 10,000 GP2Xs sold, so way less than that number of TV breakout cables will have been manufactured so far. Probably one % of the number of Snes/N64/GC tv cables.

Therefore the price will be higher.

Anyone who's ever bought an "Official" Nintendo/Sony/Sega/Microsoft TV cable knows what kind of price to expect to pay for this kind of thing. My Xbox RGB cable cost £30.

You are absolutely right, and on top of that, look at that cable, it is a cheap crappy knock-off.

It has a really thick jacket coming off the console plug, and then when it reaches the TV it has the nasty, skinny, dangly, rip in half size wiring.

You can get those crappy knock-offs for $0.99 at places like BaysoftGames.com I got one for my PSX and it was see-through blue, my brothers dropped the unit on the plug, and that was the end of that.

If you want a GP2X cord, make your own. Go on eBay and get a cheapo charger made for the Samsung e810 phone, then add your own wire (might I suggest the thin wires from inside the above shown cable, they will pack well in the carryall with the GP2X because they are so thin :) ) to the existing pins, add some USB Host if you want, or a serial adaptor, or some Jtag pins.

It isn't that hard to make, they are using high quality connectors though.

Back