Twiddler3 keyboard on the Pandora

J

jdacronym

I recently bought a Twiddler3 bluetooth keyboard/mouse to use with my various BT devices, but on my Pandora I ran into a bit of a problem: I couldn't evoke the key combination to type the colon character, the chord for which produced ';' instead. As I tend to code in Ruby a lot of late, living with only the ability to type the optional statement terminator was untenable.

The workaround, it turned out, was pretty easy. I found the Keyboard Layout PND (http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=change-keymap-0.1-slaeshjag), and switched to the US-external layout, and it works like a charm, as you can see from the occasional ':' in this post.

So, I'm leaving this post, to be eventually indexed by Google, so the next person to try using these two devices together can perhaps come directly to a solution.

It's not an FPS controller, for sure. You could tune it for some things by changing the key mappings, but hitting, say, a key and mouse button at the same time is very difficult. That said, I have used it to play FTL, and it's definitely suited to commanding a starship from the trademark Riker slouch.

And, unlike the chiclet keyboard on the Pandora, I can touch-type with it. Yay, coding in the dark!

That said, I have used it to play FTL, and it's definitely suited to commanding a starship from the trademark Riker slouch.
If we believe what they said, and sometimes depicted, he was one of the best when it came to starship combat.  Also, remember the tiny little panel built into the arms of the chairs?  You may be on to something here. ;)

And, unlike the chiclet keyboard on the Pandora, I can touch-type with it. Yay, coding in the dark!
From what others have told me Twiddler keyboards are pretty good for text entry, so this is good to hear (except for the minor issue in your initial post).  This shows again that HIDs are very important, and even if a lot of people were pissed about the keyboard threads, if the end result on the Pyra is an improvement it was worth it imo.  I need a decent keyboard anytime I am trying to do any real typing (more than a few words).  I don't know how people are fine with using an on-screen keyboard for texting, web browsing, and email.

Back