Twiterix : The Photos Have Been Taken

EvilDragon said:
I could probably strip it down so that other guys can play around with it, but no one could use it to quickly do a cheap clone of it :)
I wouldn't mind something like that to play with. I was going to mock up one of my own once I got my Pandora, probably in some CAD program. I want to see if I can make that expansion case I'd been thinking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
daffy said:
So much for "Open"Pandora.
*sigh* I guess it needs to be explained again.

The console itself is called Pandora, not Open Pandora. Open Pandora Ltd is the name of the company.

Pandora is open as in open platform, not open as in OpenMoko. It was never intended to be completely open hardware. Having said that, MWeston will be providing all the information that hardware hackers could want.

Game_over said:
Fun fun, can't wait to hear more, I'm currently basting a turkey (breast down), in one part of the house, and getting ready to deep fry another and avoid burning the house down. I suppose the blokes north of us already had their thanksgiving a while back :) .

Anyways I'm currently compiling a bunch of information and working on an article on cool stuff about the Pandora, I also propose that now would be a good time to update the wiki guys.

Even if you don't celebrate-- Happy Thanksgiving!!!

if a turkey is a bird and bird is another word for woman, then I am basting a turkey as well

Gruso said:
daffy said:
So much for "Open"Pandora.
*sigh* I guess it needs to be explained again.

The console itself is called Pandora, not Open Pandora. Open Pandora Ltd is the name of the company.

Pandora is open as in open platform, not open as in OpenMoko. It was never intended to be completely open hardware. Having said that, MWeston will be providing all the information that hardware hackers could want.
I always thought it was the 'Open Pandora' but I never expected cad files of the case to be released. I took 'Open' to mean that it was as open as my PC, I can put whatever software I want on it and the hardware is well documented, not the case. I think my definition of 'Open' is met, I never expected enough information to make copies of the Pandora.

relapse808 said:
if a turkey is a bird and bird is another word for woman, then I am basting a turkey as well
All turkeys are birds and all women are birds but not all birds are turkeys and not all birds are women, therefore all women are not necessarily turkeys. Although perhaps one would have to be in order for you to get close enough to "baste" her.
That, as they say in the old country, is a zing! :D

Right.
And I'm pretty sure Sontendosoft would grab it heartlessly if they could get their grubby hands on it.

WizardStan said:
relapse808 said:
All turkeys are birds and all women are birds but not all birds are turkeys and not all birds are women, therefore all women are not necessarily turkeys. Although perhaps one would have to be in order for you to get close enough to "baste" her.

reminds me of the woodchuck conversation in monkey island 2

DroneB Dev said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
Xian Long said:
Unfathomable Depths said:

mmmmmmmmm.....

loli in a box?
time to request the super photoshop powers of asmo

then we all can die happy (after we receive our pandas or course)

upscalling.jpg

craigix said:
I can now see no reason why some Pandora consoles won't ship before christmas, I'm not saying we can get all 4000 built and shipped, but we can get as many as possible done.
When you say "Some Pandora consoles", do you mean :

• You'll ship some or all of the first 100 units to developers and journalists.
  • You'll ship some or all of the 3900 units to the people on the giant list of Pre-Orders.

It's still the plan to break it out like that, right?

WizardStan said:
relapse808 said:

Hmrf. Most of the scripts and configs can already be overridden by putting them in appropriate places on the SD card; the reasoning being it means you can trial-and-error hacking around on things without modifying NAND; you can make different things happen by using different SD cards. Pretty handy. And if you bugger up your NAND, you can sometimes recover by using a made-plain-jane SD card, rather than just reflashing.

But yeah, a few big Ifs .. if you somehow get a malicious pnd-run.sh, and you manage to put it in the right place on your SD, you could get yourself boned on your panda. Pretty unlikely scenario, but certainly possible.

It would be easy to just set the base config file not to have a searchpath including the SD cards, for built-in apps; we lose some flexibility, but do gain that point of security. Its a tough line to walk .. security and convenience are always at odds.

(I suppose by the same token, very few people will probably actually override anything, so maybe not much is lost by trimming the conf entry; could always add the searchpathds back in for those who do want the flexibility.)

As I've said many times .. when this sucker launches, you guys take over libpnd; I've had enough of endlessly debating things with myself :)

jeff

The first 100 are slightly different than the real MP batch; I imagine if they went to normal folks under the guise of 'batch 1', that would lead to nothing but anger anyway ..

jeff

MDave said:
skeezix said:
The first 100 are slightly different than the real MP batch; I imagine if they went to normal folks under the guise of 'batch 1', that would lead to nothing but anger anyway ..

jeff

Could you highlight what the differences are? :)
The MP models look different, are superior in ability and are all controlled by copies of the same dummy plug.

Question, after all the scrutiny, and issues over the past year. (One of the original 4k, lived through the credit crisis, etc.)

Now that the molds are done. Why do this?

"If anybody does think those cases do look cheap: Yep, they do. But don't worry, they won't look like when the real mass production starts: The finishing is missing on those, as finishing test cases doesn't make much sense (it doesn't change the geometry and will just cost a bit more)."

Why not just finally produce a finished unit to show the world instead of another test case.

P90Puma said:
Question, after all the scrutiny, and issues over the past year. (One of the original 4k, lived through the credit crisis, etc.)

Now that the molds are done. Why do this?

"If anybody does think those cases do look cheap: Yep, they do. But don't worry, they won't look like when the real mass production starts: The finishing is missing on those, as finishing test cases doesn't make much sense (it doesn't change the geometry and will just cost a bit more)."

Why not just finally produce a finished unit to show the world instead of another test case.
Because the purpose of this case is not to show us, but to make sure that the molds are ready for mass production. It's just a bonus that we get to see it at all. Would you rather have had them not show us anything at all?

magicman5421 said:
Because the purpose of this case is not to show us, but to make sure that the molds are ready for mass production. It's just a bonus that we get to see it at all. Would you rather have had them not show us anything at all?

Nice strawman argument there. MWeston implied that this 'test case' COULD have been finished, so after waiting for so long, if it could have been done, why wasn't it?

P90Puma said:
magicman5421 said:

Nice strawman argument there. MWeston implied that this 'test case' COULD have been finished, so after waiting for so long, if it could have been done, why wasn't it?
Because those pictures were from the factory. MWeston doesn't have them yet to build a final unit.

Back