Two Years Today!

whats this 2 years, ive been using my pandora for months :p

I am sorry for you guys who have to wait this long, I've been using my pandora a lot and I wouldnt want to mis it. Its such a great device. I can just say the wait is worth it!

Bosbeetle said:

I am sorry for you guys who have to wait this long, I've been using my pandora a lot and I wouldnt want to mis it. Its such a great device. I can just say the wait is worth it!

I keep watching this clip and I know it's going to be woth it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Xenu said:
Bosbeetle said:

I keep watching this clip and I know it's going to be woth it:

And I can't watch the clip as it contains music from Sony Entertainment and therefore is not viewable in Germany. Grrr :)

Last edited:
Here: http://tinyogg.com/watch/IksGp/ :)

vixy.net is another good site to get around these things. ;) All you need is the video URL, then they convert and offer the download from their servers. Good for getting around pesky workplace filters too.

Happy anniversary guys. It's been a long, frustrating and painful road. Unfortunately as of now, I don't see an end to this road anytime soon.

On the other hand, all that remained in Pandora's box was hope. So, I certainly hope this Christmas we'll be having these discussions from our Pandoras. Third time's the charm, right?

EvilDragon said:
They told us the remaining boards will be done by Oct 18. They never told us they will start RIGHT AWAY in fullspeed with it. They might've had a different job before us, they needed to properly align the machines.
Who knows? 1000 boards is more than they did within the last 4 months - and they did them pretty quickly.

I'm happy if boards finally get produced with a better speed, and that's definately an improvement.
The manually placed parts can be put on the boards while the machines are running and producing more boards.

Maybe, but it's a lot slower than the 500/week they claim they're capable of, which still isn't enough to finish by the 18th. It's like saying "well, the nub company is really doing a bang-up job on the testing now, not too much longer!" when we really should be saying "HTH didn't they do the proper testing before, to meet the capabilities that they'd previously promised?"

What are the repercussions to them if they haven't finished populating the boards (aside from the nubs, which they won't have) by the 18th?

EvilDragon said:
I know. But it won't help. If half of the nubs of 4000 units fail within the next 6 months, the project pretty much is doomed, as I doubt there would be many people who'd buy new units then and we would probably go bust from RMA costs.
This needs to be done very thoroughly.
Even worse: The company will definately not guarantee for the nubs until they are confident of their high quality - and that means: If anything fails, it's our fault and they won't cover any costs.
As soon as they finish their development and approve the quality, they are responsible for any failures - which can save us a lot of money, too.

I agree completely. It's not something you want to botch up. I think it's the right choice here, and not just because of the RMAs.
However, I still want to know why (and what the nub company says 'why') these weren't tested to spec eight months ago (or however long it was), when all of the nubs were ready and waiting ... for the boards to be populated (and cases to put them in.

EvilDragon said:
Me neither. But for me, each little step is a good step nowadays.

Just like they have been for the past two years, right?

EvilDragon said:
They've been shipped on Wednesday (which is just a few hours ago), I don't follow the flight neither do I personally have any idea on which plane it went.
That's something Craig would probably know, as he is the guy getting the cases - but I guess they're currently lying around at customs.

Umm, what? "quote name='EvilDragon' timestamp='1285809850'"
My handy-dandy unixtime converter:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm
Tells me that 1285809850 is Thu, 30 Sep 2010 01:24:10 GMT, or Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:44:31 in Hong Kong (not sure where in China the factory is).
You'd said that the cases whould probably still be landing on Wednesday, because of the time zone changes: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/254-birthplace-of-a-pandora-board-and-a-power-loss-2010-09-16/page__st__40__p__5669#entry5669

I'm not sure how to interpret your latest post about them - http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/350-the-day-after-shipping-cases-2010-09-30/page__p__6041#entry6041

Where does the forwarder live? In China, or the UK? Because I hope he didn't *just* send them on the way from China...

And while we're on the subject of cases:
DaveC's comments about simple mould changes makes me sad. Also:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56788-is-there-a-problem/page__view__findpost__p__919872

benji_stein said:
Where does the forwarder live? In China, or the UK? Because I hope he didn't *just* send them on the way from China...

While we're going to be waiting a month or more for nubs - how does this matter?

benji_stein said:
And while we're on the subject of cases:
DaveC's comments about simple mould changes makes me sad. Also:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56788-is-there-a-problem/page__view__findpost__p__919872

We're all voluntary beta testers.

Remember back when they were working on the case and -it- was the bottleneck, there were people screaming that it was 'good enough' and that they should 'get it done already'. Well, for better or worse it's done and this is the case we will all have. It is done, they're on the way. They are not the bottle neck now. Redesign would take months - and it's already been 2 years. Enough on the cases.

Back to waiting.

This is the two year pre-order anniversary and my fourth year anniversary on this forum.

<-----

I am fortunate enough to have received my Pandora a few months ago.

I know that not much can be said to ease the frustration of those still waiting.

The Pandora is completely worth it. I hope that the rest of you will get your Pandora soon.

Two years?!?!

Waaaay too long a wait for me.

The good news for those after a first batch is there is one more available now since I just cancelled my p& order. I was thinking about cancelling when the N900 came but the N9 clear blows the P out of the water for a non-gaming Linuxer like me so thats what I'm getting come December.

danboid said:
... I was thinking about cancelling when the N900 came but the N9 clear blows the P out of the water for a non-gaming Linuxer like me so thats what I'm getting come December.

The way Nokia has consistently abandoned their Linux devices as soon as they Start developing the next one is part of what convinced me to order a Pandora in the first place. I will probably never buy another Nokia product. But good luck with the N9 :)

Grench said:
While we're going to be waiting a month or more for nubs - how does this matter?

It's the general principle of the thing. If was supposed to be shipped last Tuesday, we had a slot on a plane. Then the end of last week, getting a slot should be "doable". Suddenly it was extra expensive to do so (was the slot on Tuesday not costlier), and ships on Wednesday. And now, maybe it didn't ship them. Did it ship at all? Who knows? Somewhere, someone along the line is stretching the truth. I don't know who it is, but I want the real answers of what's happening.

Grench said:
We're all voluntary beta testers.

Remember back when they were working on the case and -it- was the bottleneck, there were people screaming that it was 'good enough' and that they should 'get it done already'. Well, for better or worse it's done and this is the case we will all have. It is done, they're on the way. They are not the bottle neck now. Redesign would take months - and it's already been 2 years. Enough on the cases.

Back to waiting.

I certainly don't disagree. And I'm willing to be a beta tester, that's why I signed up for a pre-order. But both the cases and the boards have been bottlenecks at different times, and during each of them, OPT has sometimes told the other to hold off (cases during the WiFi issue, and boards during the round where we found out about the painting). It doesn't seem such a huge leap to spend an extra bit if the changes are so minimal as DaveC suggests. Particularly when the nubs became an issue, which they probably saw once they started failing so much (and hid).

benji_stein said:
Grench said:

It's the general principle of the thing. If was supposed to be shipped last Tuesday, we had a slot on a plane. Then the end of last week, getting a slot should be "doable". Suddenly it was extra expensive to do so (was the slot on Tuesday not costlier), and ships on Wednesday. And now, maybe it didn't ship them. Did it ship at all? Who knows? Somewhere, someone along the line is stretching the truth. I don't know who it is, but I want the real answers of what's happening.

Ehmm... I think I explained this all already in clear details with the official news posts...?
I also wrote there that they shipped?

Last edited:
I'm glad he's wearing a helmet.

Here's a cat watching a chimpanzee ride a segway.

I received my pandora two months ago. It is a nice piece of art. But I understand the frustation of 3000+ people who paid two years ago and have nothing by now.

Dont missunderstand me, I think the OPT did a great job, in the past and nowadays as well. I just want to share ideas, faster delivery time and price cut is mandatory in my opinion.
My impression about the hardware is that is expensive. specially the NDS design with the hinge and added keyboard.
On screen keyb could replace the physical one, and the case could become something like this without need to change the board at all:

pandoraslim.jpg

(notice no changes in the board, just swap dpad and buttons. and only a two pieces case)

Battery is insanely large. Is not needed to have a 15 hour of emulation. A 2200mah battery reduces cost. 8 hour of gaming is ok.
And the internal flash memory could be reduced to a much smaller one, no need of 512MB. Just enough to start a small bootloader to read the SD (where the OS should be)
Use one speaker, not two

Everybody wants a BMW, but sometimes its better a cheaper but useful car...

Batteries and NAND chips are really cheap compared to some of the other components, you wouldn't win anything but anger from the users who liked what they got. Besides, having a hardware keyboard was one of the main aspects of the Pandora, because one of the visions they had in mind was to have a fully portable Amiga emulator, and you simply need a proper keyboard for that.

chame said:
Everybody wants a BMW, but sometimes its better a cheaper but useful car...
Other companies already make the other cars. If BMW stopped selling their traditional cars, where would people go to buy their big fancy BMWs?
Improved delivery time is definitely a must, but there's nothing they can do. They aren't intentionally holding back, they're waiting on other companies.
Cost cutting, in my opinion, is not necessary. Yeah, it seems costly compared to other hand held game systems, but like that BMW in your example, it is so because it is full of luxury expenses, and just like the BMW there are many people willing to pay for these luxury expense. For those that just want something cheap and reliable without all the bells and whistles, there are already a lot of options available. If OPT changed things to make it cheaper they'd be dropping into a saturated market, offering something that already exists, leaving that group of people that wanted all those extra features again with no source.
Remember, they don't need to compete with Nintendo or Sony in this, they don't need to sell millions. They just need to sell maybe a few tens of thousands. Across all of the internet, surely there are that many people that would gladly pay extra for the extra features. After all, BMW doesn't look to be going out of business anytime soon ;)
(on the other hand, BMW actually delivers their cars :p)

Back