Typing Properly.

A

Aaaaaaaa

Whats the easiest way to type properly, i notice i used one or two fingers from each hand. Whilst it is quite fast, it makes me make way too many mistaked.

I need to type properly. It would make homework so much easier.

But of course its difficult to break bad habits. I knmow how you're meant to to it, i think... indexd fingers on F and J, and then you just move your fingers to the right letter.

But yeah, anyone else have to break bad habits of the keyboard? whats the best way to learn to type properly?

I type with both hands over the keyboard, and whichever finger is nearest to the key I need, I use it.

They never taught you "home row" typing in school? Fingers over ASDF JKL;, then get whatever keys are closest to those with the finger you use for those. That's how I do it and I type pretty quickly, I guess.

I use my thumbs, index and middle fingers on each hand. I failed typing in school :p

The best way to learn is get one of them typing tutors. I had to learn the basics at school, and the first thing you really need is how to place your hands on the keyboard and how your fingers relate to the home keys etc. Once you get that the rest kinda follows on.

I just let my fingers hit whichever key they are closest to. using only the first three fingers on each hand and the thumb really.

A good fun game for typing practice is "Typing of the Dead" ;) very fun.

Every year at school we had to complete a typing program. . . . now i type about 60 words a minute.

Nova posted on Feb 13 2007 at 08:40 PM said:
I type with both hands over the keyboard, and whichever finger is nearest to the key I need, I use it.

I'm the same as you, it's not quite the "standard touch typing" more of a custom variation, yet for me atleast, it's every bit as fast and effective :D

I think if you really want to use both hands and as many fingers as you can then learn some basic touch typing techniques, once you have that you can easily adapt to what suits you the best. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I never learned typing in school, although I did learn spelling. I mainly use my index fingers and middle fingers for letters, and thumbs for the space bar. I suppose I do not have a particular method...

I recall asshats cracking jokes on my typing in the computer lab.

- Alex

I touchtype about 80 words a minute or so, forget your 2 finger typing.

The proper way is to put your small left finger on the A, the next finger on the S, next on the D, next on the F.

Then for the right hand, 2nd finger in on the J, then next on the K, next the L and your small finger on your right hand on the ;

Thats the proper typing position. The reason why the F and the J have little marks on them is so that you know where to put your fingers.

At school we had to use a typing tutor which worked well (and taught you were to put your fingers properly on the keys) but i must admit i type fast as anything because of all the years playing on my Spectrum/Amiga as i always used the keyboard not the joystick so knew where all the keys were !

I used to type like Columbus sailed .. find any quay to land on :D :lol: :D :| <_< *ahem*!

I don't touch type, I don't use home keys, I can do 40wpm.

gp32rich posted on Feb 15 2007 at 07:10 AM said:
I used to type like Columbus sailed .. find any quay to land on :D :lol: :D :| <_< *ahem*!

I don't touch type, I don't use home keys, I can do 40wpm.

THAT is something to be proud of... Only in America....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bash whatever with whatever. I often end up with my left and right hands crossing over each other without even thinking about it :S The weird thing is, I can touch type without a problem, but as soon as all of the lights go out I start hitting the wrong keys...

I have no idea how fast I type though :(

I used to be the worst typer. Now, I type ~65 wpm. I'm kinda self taught, but I grew on the fact that fingers are to be near the home keys, etc. Im now at the point where I type half while looking at the screen and half glancing at the keys.

Im so proud of myself :wub:

*crys

Back