Uae4all Queries

spyhunter

Still Fresh
I have the Amiga emulator (UAE4All) running fine and great - although I am running two versions, one for the v1.3 kick and the other for the v3.1 kick... I have a few queries/requests, call them what you will... as I('m finding it hard to contact the developer.... Good job by the way!!!

1) Is there a way to implement a kick switcher (so you can select the kick file)
2) Is there a way to throttle the loading speed (disk loading), the throttle only seems to once the game is loaded and for menus, etc..
3) Is there a way to load HDF (Hard Drive) files?
4) Is there a way to use Config files much like thue windows version, where you can set the kick rom, disks in use, location, etc... and have a main menu system much like MAME, etc...

Thanks,

Keep up the great work on this - it brings back my childhood days all in a handheld - superb!!!

The throttle should work for loading but doesnt really do much except break compatibility, at least on the games I have tried.

As for the rest of the questions the answer for now is no, critical did mention he may be working on improving uae4all.

1. You could but I don't think it's built into UAE. You could have a script that renamed the one you wanted prior to launching UAE.
2. Pass, not tried it recently.
3. Sadly not yet, you can't use hard files.
4. I don't think you can use config files as such. I'm sure you could play with some scripts to set up the files that UAE does use, based on what you want to do. Just guessing though.

Hope that's some help.
(And if I'm wrong, someone shout! :) )

spyhunter said:
I have the Amiga emulator (UAE4All) running fine and great - although I am running two versions, one for the v1.3 kick and the other for the v3.1 kick... I have a few queries/requests, call them what you will... as I('m finding it hard to contact the developer.... Good job by the way!!!
Oh... sorry I didn't any message, maybe it went into my spam folder or something. Unless you were trying to get hold of Chui, who may well be busy with other things.

1) Is there a way to implement a kick switcher (so you can select the kick file)

Yes there is a way to do it, but it's on the TODO list for me to handle it properly.

For now, I suppose you could do your own by writing two startup scripts. So you could have the two kickstart files in your uae4all directory called kick13.rom and kick31.rom, for example... create a 'usekick13' startup script that copies kick13.rom to kick.rom, and a 'usekick31' startup script that copies kick31.rom to kick.rom - you get the idea.

EDIT: as BenScar said :)

2) Is there a way to throttle the loading speed (disk loading), the throttle only seems to once the game is loaded and for menus, etc..

Yes - use R then L.

3) Is there a way to load HDF (Hard Drive) files?

Not yet.

4) Is there a way to use Config files much like thue windows version, where you can set the kick rom, disks in use, location, etc... and have a main menu system much like MAME, etc...

That's planned (with key/mouse/joy remapping). No config file support at all at present.

Last edited by a moderator:
many thanks for the replies.

The idea of the config files, is there a way to run say something like 'selector' to run uae4all (gamename) (config)
i mean is a command line version available where you can set the kick, etc much the same as what you were explaining before.
That way you can have a seperate 3rd party menu just running different startups for the uae files.

I am putting together a full list of compatiable games also which may help everyone. At the moment all the games I am testing run on either v1.3 oir v3.1 kick without any changes to the setup cpu, etc...

How about instead of a UAE Port instead one of the amazing devs akes a CD32 emulator then people could use whdload (an amiga package that is used to run game) to play all the amiga games. Theres a already CD32 whdload compilations that could be used. Just a thought..............

i will contribute to the wiki -
so does uae4all have any command line options i would use in a selector type menu?

also, i know its probably written in the instructions somewhere but what does the 'Emulation Bias' CPU Setting actually do? What I mean is what specs of machines does each options change it to.. eg:

X 0 0 0 0 -
0 X 0 0 0 -
0 0 X 0 0 -
0 0 0 X 0 -
0 0 0 0 X -

spyhunter said:
so does uae4all have any command line options i would use in a selector type menu?
As far as I know it doesnt.

spyhunter said:
also, i know its probably written in the instructions somewhere but what does the 'Emulation Bias' CPU Setting actually do? What I mean is what specs of machines does each options change it to.. eg:
From the wiki:

Emulation Bias

Processor throttling reduces the speed of the Amiga CPU, so that more time can be spent on emulating the graphics and sound chips. In addition some other shortcuts are used. The effect is to increase speed at the expense of compatability. Slider fully set to CPU is the most compatible, but middle settings often work. Note that if an application is CPU bound, a high CPU bias will actually decrease speed - experimentation is neccessary to determine the best setting for each application. Many Workbench-launched games favor a higher CPU Bias than Chipset Bias.

Please test non working games with Emu Bias slider all the way to CPU before adding to the wiki.

foleyjo said:
How about instead of a UAE Port instead one of the amazing devs akes a CD32 emulator then people could use whdload (an amiga package that is used to run game) to play all the amiga games. Theres a already CD32 whdload compilations that could be used. Just a thought..............
The cd32 is more advanced than the a500 as it uses the AGA chipset and an 020 processor, it is basically an a1200 without a hdd and a cd-rom instead. At the moment we dont have full speed OCS emulation so AGA emulation would be pretty difficult if not impossible to get at a resonable speed.

An OCS emulator with enough memory and hdd emulation could handle many whdload installs so there is hope.

Uae4all rocks!

Can't wait to see the next update...

I'm new to GP2X but know my way around classic Amiga. Very impressed with the emulator so far:- as an emulation oldie I appreciate the CPU power required and Amiga with sound is a tough nut to crack.

Impressed with the keyboard/mouse switcher - genius!

How is development is coming along? Do you have a blog/web site for Amiga Emu fans?

Anyway, look forward to following the progress of this worthwhile project.

Keep up the good work!

I've been busy on other things.

There is at least one command line parameter:

-norelaunchmenu

It specifies that you don't want the standard GP2X menu app to be relaunched on uae4all exit.

Waiting for the next version ;) Beside that...Thank you Critical for your time and work in this amazing "emu".

Hello thank you for an excellent emulator, I have enjoyed it a lot.
I was wondering if it's possible to change the button layout in the joystick keyboard compo mode. The buttons are just perfect for the pinball games and for Dog of war. But It would be nice to be able to make a setup for North & south, so you could change between artillery, infantry and cavalry with a single press on a button instead of interring the emulated keyboard.
But again it's really great to play the good old games on my GP2X. THANKS :)

I'd love a 'SAVE STATE' feature. There's nothing more frustrating than getting to level 4 on Prince Of Persia and then having to get off the train to go to work!

gwood1234 said:
I'd love a 'SAVE STATE' feature. There's nothing more frustrating than getting to level 4 on Prince Of Persia and then having to get off the train to go to work!
really quote this.. A save state function give also the chance to bypass the game startup loadings, that shold be nice :D

adso said:
gwood1234 said:
really quote this.. A save state function give also the chance to bypass the game startup loadings, that shold be nice :D

Has any of you got quest for glory 1 or 2 working yet on the amiga yet?

Back