Release Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on SD card

I don't know when I will get around to updating the image, but I guess you should be able to get it to work by using P-Boot. This will make the modules from NAND accessible when booting from SD/USB/NFS. This should hopefully make WLAN work.

I tried hard, looked at what you changed on the original Ubuntu image (Meld is a great tool for that, btw.) and found the pandora folder in /etc. I really don't have much experience with porting anything and I have no Idea what parameters the kernel needs, my guess was there might be something i could change in those scripts in /etc/pandora to make it work? Like modprobe or anything?

Do you plan to make an Update when Ubuntu 12.10 will be ready? I'm so lost :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried hard, looked at what you changed on the original Ubuntu image (Meld is a great tool for that, btw.) and found the pandora folder in /etc. I really don't have much experience with porting anything and I have no Idea what parameters the kernel needs, my guess was there might be something i could change in those scripts in /etc/pandora to make it work? Like modprobe or anything?

Yes, I tried to keep all changes in a single directory. I chose /etc/pandora for that. Nearly everything else is a symlink in this directory (except stuff under /etc/sudoers.d/ which does not accept symlinks).

The problem with the current image is that it includes the kernel modules from the old Pandora firmware. So when you install the current firmware it boots with the current kernel and does not have access to the new modules. As I said, you can fix this by booting with P-boot. This will map the current modules into the old Ubuntu image. The old Ubuntu image should "just work" then.

Do you plan to make an Update when Ubuntu 12.10 will be ready? I'm so lost :rolleyes:

I have not thought about this yet. I haven't turned on my Pandora since my last post in this thread. Before that my plan was to build a proper Ubuntu (softfloat) image for the Pandora with graphics and PND integration. But I got pretty frustrated with the proprietary graphics driver. I tried several days to get this ... nice ... driver to work. But no such luck. At the moment I have no plans to continue this (work and the weather here is much to nice for this kind of work). But this might change when work gets a bit less and the weather starts to suck again :).

I do not know if it is practical to install ubuntu at all right now as it is very slow with unity...

Did you have a look at slackware?

I do not know if it is practical to install ubuntu at all right now as it is very slow with unity...

Did you have a look at slackware?

I will try too.

I just ask one question look up please? can you help me ?

To install Debian, ubuntu i need to format my sd card in how many parts? which one?

first?

second?

third?...

You should create an ext2 partition and a swap partition. I suggest 512 mb swap at least.

Then just untar the rootfs to the ext2 partition and restart the pandora with the card in the left sdslot and hold the right shoulderbutton to tell it to boot from sd.

You should create an ext2 partition and a swap partition. I suggest 512 mb swap at least.

Then just untar the rootfs to the ext2 partition and restart the pandora with the card in the left sdslot and hold the right shoulderbutton to tell it to boot from sd.

How can I creat a swap partition?

And what about a third partition to have a place to put some saved files? is it possible in fat32?

I couldn't get ubuntu to work at all due to some missing modules or something.

And what about a third partition to have a place to put some files? is it possible in fat32?
The third partition can be fat32. The only requirement is that the first partition must be ext2 or ext3

You can put the files on the ext2 partition, too. Shouldn't be a problem as /home will be there by default anyway.

Pnds won't work. You will have to rely on apt for getting software.

I had ubuntu running once but deleted it again as it was unuseable for me.

Once I get my Pandora fixed, I'll try this. Anyone have video? I'm failing to understand how this works. Is this completely replacing the Pandora OS or is it just running off of a partition on the SD card. Does Libre Office work?

This doesn't replace the os on the nand. It is installed to a sdcard and runs from there. The internal memory is not touched.

LibreOffice should work, as it works in pandebian. But as said it is very slow. Maybe using xfce or lxde as desktop can help there.

Is this folder mandatory?

mkdir /tmp/ubuntu

If I exctract all files from .tar.gz in /media/mmcblk1p2, is it good?

I'd just like to say that PandaBAS built for the Raspberry PI is a lot faster than the Pandora version due to hard floats (on Raspbian) - and I don't pass any floats at all on the stack or otherwise for that matter.

D.

Well, why not just try it?

But if there is some tutorial somewhere that you don't link to that tells you to create that folder, there might be a reason for that, don't you think?

Well, why not just try it?

But if there is some tutorial somewhere that you don't link to that tells you to create that folder, there might be a reason for that, don't you think?

How can I creat the folder ubuntu in mmcblk0p2? don't work for me... can you please put here complete lines from start to end.

First, how are you trying to install it to the sdcard?

The tutorial linked in the first post describes the process to install it from a linux box. It won't wok like this on e.g. Windows.

My steps are:

- Format my SD card 16Gb (second slot = right) in 3 partitions with GParted:

1) /dev/mmcblk1p1 (fat32) = 9,77 GiB (label : "disk")

2) /dev/mmcblk1p2 (ext3) = 4,1 GiB (label : "disk-1")

3) /dev/mmcblk1p3 (linux swap) = 512 MiB

- I have put my ubuntu.tar.gz file on my SD card 128Gb (in fat32 : mmcblk0p1) in the first slot = left.

- sudo su

mkdir /media/disk-1/tmp/ubuntu

cd /media/disk-1/tmp/ubuntu

sudo tar xf /media/mmcblk0p1/ubuntu.tar.gz

Waiting now to extract all files...

I have now an error.

660759error.jpg

who can help me?

Back