Ubuntu Edge - Ubuntu Smartphone Announcement?

not until I can actually physicaly hold in in my hand will I give Canonical $600
$600 is the one-day-only price. Tomorrow (and every day after) it will be $840. I suspect it will never be at $600 again outside of contract, or old enough to be replaced.

It is weird but specs are not finalized, pretty much Shuttleworth is talking to tech companies and promises 'the latest tech', which makes sense, companies like Ti, nVidia, and Samsung show off new chips year(s) before they are put in devices.  I know that at least with Ti the chips could go into full production if their factories can support it but only show up on dev boards for some reason.

I don't know, I took a risk, but so far I've been happy with what I've taken risks on before so I feel ok about it.

Oh, order today and you save $230 on the phone.

At that price they aren't even giving any manufacturing 'guarantees' like the fairphone or OP (fair wages and/or material resources).

So thats another reason to not buy it, then. But if at their special "buy whike you can" price they can only raise $1million, how do they expect to get 31 more at a HGIHER pricepoint?

Ill buy it once it comes out. I dont feel comfortable trusting $600 to Canonical (or IndieGoGo)

Seems more and more that projects end up on indiegogo because they don't meet Kickstarter's requirements. In this case the lack of any kind of hardware prototype. Don't tell me that Canonical is too small for that. 500 employees worldwide, founder is worth $500m, but can't manage a prototype...

Then there's "we'll choose the fastest multi-core processor", that's just asking for trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exo has a good point with cpu. The ram- in one part they state "at least 4gb".

Id like MATE ported to it over unity. If its a full desktop when docked, you should be able to just install whatever GUI you want!

They've had the OS running on the Atrix 2 and the Galaxy Nexus so the software/functionality is there just the hardware is not.  If they made a prototype right now the specs would be below what could be feasible in a year which sounds like what is being avoided.  I'm putting a lot of trust into it but I put a lot of trust into every crowd-funded project I've put my money towards and I haven't been let down yet.

Think Ouya here, everyone is up in arms about it using a Tegra3 over what ever is out now.  Well, the prototype used a Tegra3 so to make the terms of use of kickstarter happy they had to use a Tegra3.  It is a huge risk I know but I'd rather support them then just get a unlocked Google phone.

Also, you could probably trick the phone to think its system screen is actually the HDMI output so in theory you could install a custom GUI on the phone its self.

Also, you could probably trick the phone to think its system screen is actually the HDMI output so in theory you could install a custom GUI on the phone its self.
I really hope you don't need to trick the phone to do what you want.  I really hope this is like the Nokia N900.

Strange that they have gone to Indiegogo/crowd funding, I thought they were trying to get a manufacturer on board to produce Ubuntu mobile smart phones.  Maybe they couldnt get anyone on board.

I love the idea, Dual boot Android and Ubuntu mobile with full desktop Ubuntu when docked.  Sounds perfect for the mystical  ICP2 .  Bring it on.

Already at $2,435,000 and rising faster than a rocket. Currently going up by $216,000 every hour

Probably slow down once all the $600 tier is taken up.  The next tier - $830 is a big jump up.

Back