Ubuntu Netbook Remix

rasczak

Still Fresh
I've seen this article this morning in Engadget. It seems very interesting, so it's oriented to low specs portable devices (at least compared to mainstream computers), and looks pretty similar to some of UIs I've seen here for Pandora.

It's compiled with Intel's Atom in sight, but for those who told about bringing Ubuntu or another distro more-like-desktop-pcs to Pandora, could be a nice starting point, IMO.

it's funny actually. I've been following ubuntu mobile for a long time. It's 100% aimed for the intel devices. I'm not sure what kind of funding is happening with ubuntu and moblin.

Anyway, it's very much for the McCaslin and menlow devices. It won't work on ARM.

However, Ubuntu recently started a ARM branch, and it's been running on a few ARM devices like the Zaurus. There is no reason we would not make a mobile-ubuntu-arm OS based on that, the same way that mobile-ubuntu is taken from ubuntu. It's a big job and Intel won't be giving us wads of cash to do it either.

BTW, I have no idea what the difference is between Ubuntu Netbook Remix and ubuntu mobile. I guess Ubuntu Netbook Remix is for netbooks which is really inappropriate for the Pandora.

Back