Ubuntu On Pandora

U.S.Soldier: What? Why do you come up with windows etc? Its not going to happen on Pandora anyway

Angstrom was just too much for me. E17 is trying to be too modern and its not really usable in my opinion, installing any other environment resulted in kernel panics back in november for me. I like XFCE as environment and minimalistic distros much more and this is why I would choose xubuntu or gentoo over angstrom.

Well, yeah, I actually like the fact that more and more people go over to Ubuntu because I think that the Linux community needs to become more organized and focus on one distro.

However, Ubuntu lacks very much of this 'organization'. It is built up in a very chaotic way under the hood imho. Other distros keep a simple structure and keep all their programs etc much more organized. That was the point I was trying to make, I guess.

Honestly if you want 'Ubuntu' use Angstrom and spice it up with a Human-like Matchbox theme and bootscreen; Voila.

All linux distros are essentially the same, and can do the same; The difference is in how it looks when it's installed...

Last edited by a moderator:
'Sander Hoksbergen' said:
Honestly if you want 'Ubuntu' use Angstrom and spice it up with a Human-like Matchbox theme and bootscreen; Voila.

All linux distros are essentially the same, and can do the same; The difference is in how it looks when it's installed...
no. the real difference is the size of the repository.

'U.S.Soldier' said:
Yeah Linux is great but lets not start on whats better either...... Every OS has its advantages and disadvantages. The new windows 7 beta works great also runs very very effectively, and it seems to be faster but much better code. So in time we will see if Windows can better itself and also Apple and Linux they just need to keep striving hooah
fail.
'dflemstr' said:
Well, yeah, I actually like the fact that more and more people go over to Ubuntu because I think that the Linux community needs to become more organized and focus on one distro.
That's exactly the opposite of the whole point of linux. There should never & will never be 'one distro to rule them all'. There is more advanntage in having a separate distro to suit the needs of certain groups than trying to get one distro to suite the needs of everyone (see windows). I'm a tried & true fedora user. Put me in front of an ubuntu machine & I cringe. Ubuntu is the bane of linux imo. You can use it for a year & still know nothing about linux. It may be 'easy to use' or whatever, but for a large chunk of us that just doesn't cut it.
fail.

'dflemstr' said:

However, Ubuntu lacks very much of this 'organization'. It is built up in a very chaotic way under the hood imho. Other distros keep a simple structure and keep all their programs etc much more organized. That was the point I was trying to make, I guess.
I think we should focus on a distro that doesn't splatter files everywhere at random, but apparently this behavior is the approved Linux Standard, and everything that isn't GoboLinux does it.

JayFoxRox said:
U.S.Soldier: What? Why do you come up with windows etc? Its not going to happen on Pandora anyway
I'm pretty sure he was talking in general, that different OSes are better for different people, and then sidetracked into how Windows 7 is has improved. I didn't read that he wanted to install Windows 7 on the Pandora.

hch said:
no. the real difference is the size of the repository.
Ubuntu's repository is pretty empty right now. Angstrom has the huge advantage, if that's your metric of success.

What's wrong with Ubuntu? I would like to have both Ubuntu and Angstrom. Also, Windows 7 hasn't really improved all that much. I want my taskbar back :(.

glad there's a larger amount of people now who see the futility in using ubuntu on the pandora, before everyone was UBUNTUBUNTUBUNTUBUNTU

You can use Ubuntu, or not. You can use Angstrom, or not. You can use Gentoo, or not. You will probably be able to chose between half a dozen different GUIs at some point. You're not being forced to use anything or prevented from using anything else, so stop arguing over nothing.

'Consequence9' said:
fail.

Not really, everything has the same kernel as a base...the software around it isn't distro locked or anything..
Sure, every distribution has their own philosophy and goals, but that still doesn't change the core.

@Chip We're not arguing about what should be the default or anything :p
I'm at least aware of the fact that there will be ALOT of diffrent environments to choose between.
I'm just discussing Ubuntu in general, and it's role in the linux community.

@Sander Hoksbergen ditto, but sometimes the distro structure is very different, giving different stability etc. Just look at Ubuntu's usplash vs Fedora's plymouth. It's a generation of differences.

'Consequence9' said:
fail.

Not really, everything has the same kernel as a base...the software around it isn't distro locked or anything..
Sure, every distribution has their own philosophy and goals, but that still doesn't change the core.

no, not every distribution uses the same kernel and no, the kernel isn't the only thing that makes the core of an operating system. Sure, with a lot of work, you may make a fedora out of an ubuntu, but making an angstrom out of ubuntu would probably being more work then starting from scratch (using the upstream projects). It comes down to things like the init-system, the bash, package configuration and dependencies, patches and all that. A lot of infrastructural decisions go down to the distributors. A distribution is much more then a collection of packages.

'Username' said:
What's wrong with Ubuntu? I would like to have both Ubuntu and Angstrom. Also, Windows 7 hasn't really improved all that much. I want my taskbar back :(.
Actually it has improved dramatically the way programs run better and open is amazing it has increased FPS on games dramatically I am very impressed I wouldnt let a taskbar rule if it hasnt improved or not.....

[quote name='Consequence9' date='Apr 5 2009, 05:59 PM' post='717036']
[quote name='U.S.Soldier' date='Apr 5 2009, 12:48 PM']
Yeah Linux is great but lets not start on whats better either...... Every OS has its advantages and disadvantages. The new windows 7 beta works great also runs very very effectively, and it seems to be faster but much better code. So in time we will see if Windows can better itself and also Apple and Linux they just need to keep striving hooah
[/quote]
fail.

Improved.

'JayFoxRox' said:

Angstrom was just too much for me. E17 is trying to be too modern and its not really usable in my opinion, installing any other environment resulted in kernel panics back in november for me. I like XFCE as environment and minimalistic distros much more and this is why I would choose xubuntu or gentoo over angstrom.
Its because everyone is showing there favoritism for an OS it gets annoying my Job consists of using all OS's and it was to make sure no one goes into there fanboyism and I am Just happy with the current beta. thats all no biggy

'U.S.Soldier' said:
Its because everyone is showing there favoritism for an OS it gets annoying my Job consists of using all OS's and it was to make sure no one goes into there fanboyism and I am Just happy with the current beta. thats all no biggy
The point was that it doesn't even matter because the pandora can't run windows or osx, so why bring it up?

it's hardly fanboyism at this point, it runs much deeper than that. Running linux is as much about the statement as it is about the OS itself. Many of the linux guys here, regardless of distro, know what I mean. Hell some of that even spills over into interest in the pandora.

Bring what up points of people showing fanboism???? Thats why and you are starting to become annoying like you are an expert and I have no knowledge about linux its cool man its cool....

'Consequence9' said:
Ubuntu is the bane of linux imo. You can use it for a year & still know nothing about linux.
And that's a problem? The vast majority don't want to learn how their computer works, they just want it to work. Ubuntu is all about being a system that Just Works. Ubuntu is giving the vast majority what they want.

You don't like it? Don't use Ubuntu. That's the beauty of Linux, after all, right? ;)

I don't *dislike* Ubuntu in any way, I don't just usually *use* it, because to make Ubuntu "Just Work"®, the Ubuntu team has built in VERY MANY hacks to make this possible, which also breaks alot of stuff, and I don't want to use something like that that can just crash randomly.
For example, have you ever tried running Wine and Rhythmbox simultaneously? No? Well, if you ever try that, you'll see that sometimes it doesn't work. No eror rmessages, Rhythmbox just doesn't have any sound and hangs.
That's because the Ubuntu team didn't finish their job when implementing PulseAudio and made various 'safety fallback handlers' that screw things up.

On Fedora, I never have any problems with PA, and I get positional 3D event sounds as a bonus. On Ubuntu, the structure is so messed up that sometimes the GNOME event sounds don't work (logout sound, minimize sound(yes there is one) etc just never get played) and applications randomly crash.

The problem I see with using Ubuntu or any outside linux distro is the kernel. If you run it your going to get a generic arm kernel, that means no 3d, no dsp bridge, etc.
The same could happen with the gentoo project, unless of course they add it themselves.

Of course like Chip said you can run what ever you want, but dont count on it supporting everything in the pandora, or expect to be faster than stuff running off Notaz's kernel.

'Username' said:
with a bit of tweaking, iit is perfectly possible to get the old taskbar back.

but that isn't what caused me to go back to good ole XP

Back