Uk Power Supply For Cradle And Gp2x?

scottm

Website
www.kaiserpc.co.uk
Hi,

I'm just about to buy a gp2x and Cradle (after finally selling my gp32 :( ). I was looking at gbax.com but they don't appear to sell an ac adapter for the gp32x and the cradle. I'm a bit confused by the different voltage requirements for the adapters (the cradel states 3 or 5v :blink: ). Obviously I'll be getting a MK2 gp2x, so can someone point me in the direction where I can get an UK adapter for this and one for the cradle

retro-haven said:
I'm running mine from a Masterplug adaptors from Argos.

which one (the gp2x or the cradle)? or do you have one for both the unit and the cradle? Also is this one of these adjustable voltages / amps / polarity ones, and if so, what settings are you using.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got an adaptor for the Cradle (it states 5V 2A on the cradle - but it's hard to find one with that much ampage - I'm pretty sure I got the only one in the city after spending 2 hours going from shop to shop (at it was hidden in a bargen bin too :) )

I've got a wee question though... should the tip be postivive or negative?

The GP2X is centre negative, so I would assume the same as that, but you never know with GPH...

Godmil said:
I just got an adaptor for the Cradle (it states 5V 2A on the cradle - but it's hard to find one with that much ampage - I'm pretty sure I got the only one in the city after spending 2 hours going from shop to shop (at it was hidden in a bargen bin too :) )

I've got a wee question though... should the tip be postivive or negative?
hahaha, that sounds similar to my search for a 3v 2a power supply
it took me 4 hours though haha i finally found one at the 4th radio shack i went to

...i thought the cradle needed 3A........not that i have one in front of me or anything
but its definately 2A? that would make me buy one right now

The bottom of the unit says: 5V 2A (as does the user manual), and someone suggested on another thread that the reason is that USB ports can use 0.5A so 4 of them = 2A.
My adaptor says on the back that it doesn't matter if the applience uses less than the adaptor gives (I guess it only draws what it needs), so even if it needs less than 2A I guess it's fine to have a 2A power supply.

Just need to find out which way round the head goes :( I really dont want to fry the cradle before I've used it.

I'd love to know if there is a single power adapter that works with the cradle AND the gp2x unit itself... I live in the US, though that doesn't really matter as the power adapter gamepark holdings currently makes is universal. Anyway, does anyone know anything about a power adapter that would work with both? I know there are adapters out there that have adjustable settings... I'd gladly buy one, even at a slightly unreasonable price... I want the simplicity and convergence of only having one adapter.

Can anyone help?

Does anyone agree with me?

:gp2x

Thanks everyone!

I have not seen a post from Craig explaining why we need this mysterious 5V 2A adapter ...

It rather annoys me, as does the design flaws (cradle covering up the power switch and USB port) ...

I had more to type, but decided not to .. my Dev. BOB works just fine with the official GPH 3V adapter, so I'm blessed with detached apathy at this point :)

^^ Sorry are you saying your GP2X adaptor powers your BOB? In which case does that mean your BOB requires center negative?

-

Please someone, there must be a ton of you with cradles, can someone confirm their polarity? It's agony having this thing sitting here and not being able to plug it in.

I can confirm that the bare circuit board BOB uses a centre negative connection, but it is rated 1A @ 3.3V (ie. it is exactly the same PSU requirement as a GP2X). If you have a Mk 1 GP2X (as I do) then you need to power both the BOB and the GP2X independently (2 identical PSUs or 1 PSU and batteries in the GP2X). If you have a Mk 2 then the manual says that you can power just the BOB or just the GP2X and one will feed power to the other (unless you're using lots of USB power, in which case you're supposed to connect 2 adaptors like the Mk1 case).

Which leads me to suspect that the cradle connection is centre negative, but I couldn't guarantee it. :(

Soo.... can anyone help me out with an adapter that could work with both the cradle and the gp2x unit?

What's the damn polarity needed for the bloody cradle someone must know :angry:

EDIT: Ok I tested it out for all you wusses who couldn't be f***ed to even attempt to check. The cradle seems to use a center positive connection. I connected it using center negative and all the USB port lights go out tried it in center positive they all work. Cradle intact (if anything the cradle will kill your psu if it's cheap like my first one I tried and if it's connected with the wrong polarity). Also is the light supposed to go green when it's got adapter power or something? because with the adapter plugged in it's still red.

DBH said:
What's the damn polarity needed for the bloody cradle someone must know :angry:

EDIT: Ok I tested it out for all you wusses you couldn't be f***ed to even attempt to check. The cradle seems to use a center positive connection. I connected it using center negative and all the USB port lights go out tried it in center positive they all work. Cradle intact (if anything the cradle will kill your psu if it's cheap like my first one I tried and if it's connected with the wrong polarity). Also is the light supposed to go green when it's got adapter power or something? because with the adapter plugged in it's still red.
Considering you are in the UK, wouldn't it have been easier to call GBAX?

Um ... sorry, center-negative, as I said in my post above:

".. my Dev. BOB works just fine with the official GPH 3V adapter .."

I thought it was common knowledge that the official 3V adapter is center-negative. Sorry :(

Edit: Oh, and the same type adapter powers the BOB and the '2X, each needing its own adapter (I have a MkI GP2X)

No no I knew the gp2x official adapter is center negative, but no one tested the official cradle to see what it needed. People said oh the dev BoB uses center negative so I thought ok fine it should go ok with the cradle but your wrong! The cradle uses center positive.

DBH said:
No no I knew the gp2x official adapter is center negative, but no one tested the official cradle to see what it needed. People said oh the dev BoB uses center negative so I thought ok fine it should go ok with the cradle but your wrong! The cradle uses center positive.
Oh shit! :blink: That sucks ... to be blunt.

Yes which is why I was a bit annoyed :p Luckily it was the cheap psu that went rather than the cradle eh! The cradle is a tough cookie it probably backfed and said to the cheap psu your going down mofo you're in the wrong polarity lol. I got the masterplug adapter from argos now and I knew something was wrong when the light began to go dim when using center negative so I switched it to center positive and it's fine. Access my USB HDD and ran Heroes off it without a problem. Now I just need to figure out the bloody Wifi as that's giving me problems :angry:

Back