Uk University Making Universal Game Emulator

This is amazing news.

The story is cool and all, but far more importantly, Portsmouth has a university. Who knew?

You sure they won't just make up a GUI which involves other, already existing, emulators? :p Why would they recreate the wheel?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Miknal' said:
Portsmouth has a university. Who knew?
Why is this surprising? You do know polytechnics are all classed as universities now right?

@all
Article, while interesting, doesn't seem to describe something that doesn't already exist. See MESS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MESS

Yeah but will it be optimised? Probably not.

Plus, their aims are laughable in the sense that most games are "preserved" already on bit-torrent or rom sites!

'ashdjones' said:

Plus, their aims are laughable in the sense that most games are "preserved" already on bit-torrent or rom sites!

Wish them all the best in their endeavours nonetheless, I hope they come up with something good.

They are just reinventing the wheel, MAME and MESS fits that scope. Just some retarded initiative that will be under-developed, for getting money from the European Union. That KEEP seems be done in a stupid (aka bureaucratic in Brazil style) way.

The goal does not appear to focus only on games, but other proprietary formats, like databases, and other documents. But, I do not really see where this project can go that M.E.S.S. has not gone already. Digital media can be opened as image files for every computer M.E.S.S. can emulate in the same programs that they were originally written in.

Seems to me, that this project should just join M.E.S.S. and save themselves a bunch of work. Especially since M.E.S.S. aims to be cross platform, and prefers perfect emulation over speed.

'ashdjones' said:

'ashdjones' said:

Wish them all the best in their endeavours nonetheless, I hope they come up with something good.
yep they will reinvent the wheel - say they did it, and see others work as defunct and non official. Tosec is great but established historians/academics will take it apart and use it and call it their own.
W*NKERS

'Zeno Arrow' said:
'Miknal' said:
Portsmouth has a university. Who knew?
Why is this surprising? You do know polytechnics are all classed as universities now right?

Sorry, I should have made it clearer I was joking. I am aware of the way the system works. Hell, I am writing this from the University of Birminghams library as we speak, and around here the Birmingham City University (formally University of Central England) also got changed from a poly to a uni.

I have a mate who goes to Portsmouth who browses this forum, and the post was mostly just meant for him :p

'pubzombie' said:
Yay but links dont work for me
It's because of some weird forum bug. When I click on any link from GP32X, this is what appears in my address bar:

CODE
\http://www.gp32x.de/board/%5C%22http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/12/0830230\%22\

Yes, links are broken right now. The forum automatically adds www.gp32x.de/BLARGH for some reason.

I've heard you can manually remove it.

Anyway, what's this unversal emulator even supposed to mean? Is it just a huge set of interpreters or is it some magical algorithm that reads machine language and randomly guesses how a game works?

What the hell does it mean??

lol of course you can manually remove the garbage in the link addresses... just delete all the crap except the actual link in the "".

Brazil... burocratic?

oh yeah.. right nvm XD

Clearly MESS and MAME have their own agendas (exact emulation whatever the cpu cost and what have you)... perhaps this is why they want to start a new project and of course there is bound to be code sharing

'xnopasaranx' said:
lol of course you can manually remove the garbage in the link addresses... just delete all the crap except the actual link in the "".
It scares me that people in this forum don't how a URL works... :lol:

Sorry guys, not trying to be mean, I just assumed it was part of How To Use The Internet: Lesson 1.

'Username' said:
So this has been done before? Wouldn't that take a huge amount of space up?
Not that large, it's roms not emulators that take up space

Back